Look at the tyres on my hire 4WD !

Submitted: Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 12:37
ThreadID: 136696 Views:5400 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am finally here, and got my hire four-wheel drive from Britz a few days ago. It's the Scout vehicle, a new addition to their fleet. (Maybe TOO new, but the vehicle itself is a whole different topic I won't get into here!)

It is based on the 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter van. And looks to have the stock tires on it.

These look a bit small and flimsy for taking on the tracks, what do you think? That tread certainly doesn't seem very capable in sand or mud. Even with pressure down.

BTW, I'm told there is a plan to put on a different set in Alice Springs. Hopefully this will happen on Tuesday or Wednesday. But I'm not sure exactly which tyre that is.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 13:47

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 13:47
They have a 116 load rating so not far off LT rating which is normally up around 120 somewhere. They have strengthened sidewalls and are designed for basic no sealed roads. While not a full AT they are ok for "all road" use with caution.

Can you take this Hire Vehicle on proper offroad?

If based on a Sprinter Iwould have thought mainly for all road use rather than full on 4wd offroad use. I would have thought them ok but if you want to go full offroad then yes I agree something with a bit more agressive tread would be OK. Should be OK on sand but mud not good at all.

Check the restrictions of use in your contract - if allows full 4wd offroad use then I would be asking for a good LT AT tyre to be fitted.
AnswerID: 618863

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 16:11

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 16:11
Garrycool
As these tyres contain the letter "C" as a suffix to the size then they are in fact LT tyres, just the Euro method of identification.

LT rating has nothing to do with the load index but its type of construction, and if these tyres were to be replaced with 'P' type or rated tyres (tyres that do not carry either the C or LT in their identification) then you should be looking for tyres that have a load index at least 10% greater than the specified tyres.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 890976

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 00:07

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 00:07
"C" in the tyre suffix is the Euro specification that stands for "Commercial" (use).
"P' in the suffix stands for Passenger vehicle use.

I'm surprised their 4WD is based on a Mercedes Sprinter.
I found the Britz 2WD Sprinter camper to be a nice little rig, but I think trying to make it a full, off-road 4WD machine, may be a bit of a stretch.

Those tyres pictured, are sealed road tyres only. They'd be useless on even a good quality, unsealed road.

I did find the new Britz camper rental agreement - and they will let you use your Britz 4WD camper on unsealed roads - but you need specific written permission to use it on quite a number of Outback "bush" roads - that are clearly specified in the agreement.

Britz rental agreement

"(c) 4WD Vehicles may only travel to the following areas with
the written permission of Britz: Simpson Desert, Strzelecki
Track, Gunbarrel Highway, Cape York, the Bungle Bungles,
Oodnadatta Track, Birdsville Track, Tanami Track, the
Plenty Highway, Gibb River Road, Burke Development
Road from Chillagoe to Normanton, Savannah Way from
Normanton to Borroloola, Finke Road (between Alice
Springs and Oodnadatta), Central Arnhem Road and
Arnhem Land in general, and
(d) Vehicles are not permitted on the Canning Stock Route,
the Old Gunbarrel Hwy, the Lost City in Litchfield Park,
the Old Telegraph Track section of the road to Cape
York, Boggy Hole (Finke Gorge National Park), the Old
South Road from Maryvale to Finke and Fraser Island
at any time. Travel to Cape York between the months
of December to May is not permitted. The Customer is
responsible for all damage if travelling on these roads as
defined in clause 23.8."

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 890989

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 08:19

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 08:19
I did the whole Birdsville Track in 1995 in my 1978 Falcon wagon when the track was a goat track! just on standard radial tyres, no ground clearance - you just need to drive to the road conditions....
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618883

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 00:35

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 00:35
GREAT, and I just spent 45K on a 4WD BT-50, now you tell me, lol

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 891229

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 11:16

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 11:16
I do have permission for quite a few tracks. I gave them the full list of every track I might want to drive on. This includes the Birdsville and strezelecki tracks, the Oodnadatta track, AB Road as far as Emu, and even the Googs track.

Even aired down, I cannot imagine using these tires on a lot of sand like the googs Track. Quite frankly, even with optimal tyres, I can't imagine taking this vehicle out there, LOL.

I've actually been dealing directly with the Darwin branch manager. He's the one setting up the deal to get some different tyres. (I'm in Alice Springs now.)
AnswerID: 618890

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 12:19

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 12:19
Wow, Britz say you can take it in the Simpson Desert with their written permission. I wouldn't be that brave, for that matter I don't think I would be taking it down Googs Track either.
My opinion is based only on the pictures on Britz website, would be lacking in ground clearance and ramp over angle in my opinion.
FollowupID: 890999

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 19:25

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 19:25
The ground clearance is pretty good, it is a fairly big step up or down to get in or out. But yes the long wheelbase is another matter!!
FollowupID: 891051

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 19:59

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 19:59
They will work fine on sand - just let pressure down to increase length of footprint. Tread pattern on sand is irrelevant for touring - possibly different if you are in some sort of a race. Bald tyres work on sand.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618906

Reply By: Candace S. - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 19:29
Ok, The tires were switched out today in Alice Springs. There are now Bridgestone Dueler AT's on the Scout. Definitely a little beefier for dealing with long drives on the dirt.

AnswerID: 618924

Sponsored Links