GSL Isolators

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1367 Views:5688 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with the GSL EB!-100HD 100/150 AMP Electronic Battery Isolator( $150). I have bought an 40ltr Engel and intend to set up a Deepcycle battery in the rear of vehicle(Pajero) to run it on.Battery set up will be removabale.I have read every forum on this subject and am still confused. The GSL has been recommended to me and the Federal deep cycle auxillary battery( $240) will be independent of the main battery and charged by the alternator via the GSL device which is automatic and charges the auxillary battery when the main is fully charged.The service centre assures me there is no possibility of main battery being run flat,no surges to fry computers or wiring. An Anderson blade plug will be used ($40) and 15amp cable to reduce loss of voltage.Initially armed with no knowledge (still extremely limited) they were all over me like a rash to set up the system. Called today armed with the forums possible problems and recommendations they were not overly cooperative to spend the time discussing the set up unless I booked the job in. Will the above serve it's purpose to run the fridge for two to three days at a time untill 240V charger is used?. Do prices seem reasonable? I know it is a repetitive boring subject but maybe some one can help on the above.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
Ken , dont have any personal experience with the particular system you are contemplating ,however , we use the rotronics system ,$260 from opposite lock , after lots of research we found it to be the only system that is garranteed to not fry the engine management computer and is the only one that allows disimilar battery types [ starting /deep cycle ],,,,, as for price ,$40 for the anderson plugs is about right,yet 20amp wire is definitely a better proposition than 15amp,,,,,,2 to 3 days use from battery running the engle should be no problem ,,, the brother inlaw regularily gets 5 days running with his using a n70 overlander starting battery isolated for that purpose,,,,,,Axel
AnswerID: 4465

Follow Up By: Ken R - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Axel/Karen thank for your reply.Is the Rotronics system(which seems to be the most popular) only available at Opposit Lock .In Sydney south where I am, the nearest and only store is at Blacktown a fair hike and the next nearest is in Newcastle.Are there any other approved outlets for their product?Do you have any idea the total cost of the set up of your Brother in law i.e. battery,isolator,fitting?Can you still fry the car computer system even though the two batteries are not directly inter connected as in a duel battery system side by side under the bonnet?. Ken
FollowupID: 1907

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Ken ,would not know about sydney area availability,,rotronics have a web site which should be able to help, just type in battery isolators and follow the links ,,,,, the total cost for our system was $260 plus an extension wireing kit to be able to have 2nd battery in rear,,,cost $40,, if you search the archives in this forum under batteries ,and search under fridges you will find all the details you will need,,,,,Axel
FollowupID: 1908

Reply By: Member - Sam - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
Ken, I have just purchased a Rotronics RFC12 Independant Charge system. I got the battery monitor and the wiring harness (for installations where battery is in rear of vehicle) Have a look at www.rotronics.com.au or call 1800 644 620 and ask to speak to Rod. They shipped all the parts down to me and it has a very thorough installation manual. Haven't installed it yet. Am looking at an Overlander 700 starter battery as my 2nd battery (have one installed as my main starter). Cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 4479

Follow Up By: Ken R - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks good people I will follow up on the Rotronics.Appears to be the populat one.
FollowupID: 1915

Follow Up By: James - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sam
How much for your robtronic system??
FollowupID: 1927

Reply By: Member - Sam - Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00
James, the unit itself cost $442.10, but i also purchased the battery monitor and a wiring harness to suit installation in the rear of a vehicle(save me having to stuff around getting the cabling). So the over all cost inc. freight was approx $750. That is for an independant charge system too. The parallel charge units cost half as much. Given the reputation of the system, and what I have experienced to be excellent pre and post sales service, and the fact I was supporting a great Aussie company, I didn't mind paying the little bit extra (as opposed to purchasing one of the many other dual battery control systems). cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 4497

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00
Ken, another vote for Rotronics. I went throo this exercise a couple of months ago and found it hard to get any technical info. I rang Rotronics and spoke to Rod Street. He set me straight and gave me clear and concise answers to all of the (some dumb) questions that I had, and did this happily. So I boight one of their units. GSL are actually the manufacturers of the Piranha units (same unit, different coloured case and stickers). Cheers.
AnswerID: 4534

Reply By: MarkW - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Ken,
I installed a GSL EB100 about 3 years ago and have been happy with the performance and had no problems. I bought the unit from WES components Ashfield for $109 (02 9 7979866). I used an exide extreme (80ah) for the aux battery and its still going strong and last 3 days with my 60 liter Evakool fridge. It was the cheapest setup but I did a lot of research too and after 3 years without a drama feel that I made the right choice.
Cheers
AnswerID: 4610

Follow Up By: Ken R - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for replying Mark.Not knowing the exide extreme battery is it a deep cycle or starter. One gets confused when some are adamant that you cannot/should not use disimilar batteries yet many others are quite content with deep cycle auxilary and starter battery for main.
FollowupID: 1991

Reply By: Mark - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Ken,
The Extreme is primarily a starting battery but has thicker plates so is apparently more suited to cycling. I have been happy with the performance for the price ($140 KMART) and still going strong after 3 years. With modern fridges with voltage cutouts the batteries rarely get a deep cycle anyway, so i'm not conviced that a more expensive deep cycle battery is always the best solution for an aux battery.

Mark
AnswerID: 4680

Reply By: Cruiser - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Read the July issue of 4WD Monthly, page 79. It has a good, informative description of batteries and power management systems. It should help make your choice easier, based on your particulart use.
Cheers, Cruiser
AnswerID: 4694

Sponsored Links