Track between Yardea and Iron camping?

Submitted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 21:49
ThreadID: 136771 Views:3520 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at the 2015 Hema Great Desert Tracks Eastern Sheet map. Specifically, at the track through the Gawler Ranges between Yardea and Iron Knob.

On the map, this note is printed near 'Nonning', about 70 km WNW from Iron Knob: "Bush camping on road edge is not permitted."

How do I determine exactly where that rule applies? The note does not appear next to any other tracks in the region. Should I expect to see signs out there, better explaining the situation?

I'd make an inquiry, but I don't know who to ask. How do I figure out who has made this rule (or, for that matter, if this rule actually exists in 2018)?

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 22:41

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 22:41
Just go to Mt Ive station its a great place. Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619207

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 07:56

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 07:56
There is a campground not shown on the Hema map for some reason about 50km nnw of Mt Ive.

Camping is free in this park, you do not need to book online.

From the SA parks site. - Note it is on the western side of the lake though.
"Self-sufficient bush camping is available in the Waltumba campground located on the eastern side of the lake.

Waltumba is a great spot for camping and is set amongst the Western Myall trees on the edge of the lake with fantastic views overlooking the lake and onto the Gawler Ranges. A walking trail leading form the campground and day visit area will take you up onto a hill overlooking the lake. The trail is well formed and it is a moderate hike.

The campground is accessible to vehicles with high ground clearance."
SA Parks map
AnswerID: 619209

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12:11

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 12:11
Candace - Unfortunately, there are rarely any signs in remote areas, advising as to whether camping is allowed or not.
This is due to signage installation costs and sign maintenance problems in remote areas.

You simply have to inform yourself as best you can from the information available from local, State and Federal authorities - as well as local land owners - as to whether camping is allowed or not - and where, if it is.

First stop is to identify the land owners. The land in Australia falls into several basic groups - Unallocated Crown Land (this belongs to State or Federal Govts and has not yet had a specified use attached to it) - Freehold land, owned by individuals and corporate bodies, (which includes Aboriginal Lands) - Leased land (such as Mining Leases and Stations) - and Parks & Reserves - which are either State or Federal Govt, owned and controlled.

Unallocated Crown Land in S.A. is known as Unalienated Crown Land.

In the case of the area you have pinpointed, I can advise that Nonning is a Pastoral Lease, and therefore a working Station (Ranch) operation.

As such, the leaseholder of Nonning Station has the right to allow or refuse access to travellers, and also the right to permit or ban camping on Nonning Station.
The map note reflects the wishes of the Nonning Station lessees - and that is, that they do not permit roadside camping on their Station land.

You will need to travel beyond the boundaries of Nonning Station to find a free roadside campsite.

South Australia has advice on camping in S.A. Parks and Reserves, but it appears there are minimal restrictions on camping on Unalienated Crown Land in S.A.
From the advice I have been given, you are allowed to camp on Unalienated Crown Land in S.A., for a period of up to 3 weeks, without a camping permit.

In the case of Freehold Land and Leases, you are obliged to seek the permission of the Freehold Title holder, or the Lessee, to gain their permission to camp.

I trust this helps you as regards your camping dilemma.

Visiting and Camping guidelines in South Australia's Parks & Reserves

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619214

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 14:00

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 14:00
Thanks for the info.

Indeed, during my Oz travels, figuring out who owns/ controls the land and where it is ok to simply stop for the night has been a bit tricky for me.

I wish I could find detailed maps, on which the different classifications are Shaded in different colours. Does such a thing exist?

BTW, at home, I have a collection of these for the western states I frequently travel in. It goes into great detail, and shows even very small parcels of private property within large tracts of public land.

Benchmark Atlas

The Hema Atlas I'm using here is not that much bigger, but it is showing the whole country. So it just can't get down to that level of detail.
FollowupID: 891451

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 16:19

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 16:19
Hullo Candice
I think that is a SA Govt road maintained by DPTI. Their Regional office is in Pt Augusta. If you ring them, I am confident they will be able to confirm the status of the road, whether there is a road reserve and if so, how wide.
Generally adjoining land owners cannot dictate conditions for use of road reserve.
For your information, on PARs (this is not one) camping is permitted up to 50m either side.
FollowupID: 891452

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 17:00

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 17:00
Candace - The local (Shire or District) council is the first place to make enquiries as regards ownership of land in their area, and any applicable local regulations, as regards camping restrictions within the Shire or District boundaries.

S.A. - council maps

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891453

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 11:23

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 11:23
The area in question is out of districts (outback). There is no council.
FollowupID: 891469

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 21:41

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 21:41
That is the reason I suggested the DPTI. They are the out of districts road authority.
FollowupID: 891487

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 19:21

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 19:21
Hi Candice,

I know the area quite well (I went to school nearby)

When you get out there, you'll see that you wouldn't want to camp on the roadside there anyway. So not being allowed to is pretty much a non issue.

Enjoy your trip! :)
AnswerID: 619216

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 28, 2018 at 22:50

Monday, May 28, 2018 at 22:50
What width is the road reserve in South Australia? In Western Australia, as I understand it, the verge is for most roads it is 30 metres from the centre of the road. So on unfenced land, you have that width to pull off without impinging on private property. We have pulled off the road a little way in station country in South Australia, expecting to be in the road reserve.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619219

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 20:04

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 20:04
Motherhen - I don't know about S.A. - but in W.A., it's rare to find a road reserve total width of more than 40 metres - apart from some of the newer roads put in, in the wheatbelt, in the 1960's.

Even the majority of the railway reserves (including the Trans-continental Line), are no more than 40 metres wide.
You can find the reserve widths on the Landgate Map Viewer Plus.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891481

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 21:46

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 21:46
When I was a little kid, they talked about creating "two chain roads" and resumed land along certain routes to create the wide verges. Google tells me that is about 40 metres.

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891488

Reply By: Candace S. - Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 21:07

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 21:07
Thx for all the info and suggestions.

As it turned out, after looking at the big picture, I shortened my trip in this area. I did a one-day trip through GRNP on Tuesday. Organ Pipes, Yandinga Falls, Old Paney Road, Stone Dam, Old Paney homestead, and the shearing shed. And lots of great scenery.

If I'd had another day, I definitely would have done the Sturts track. If I had a lot more days in Oz, I could do many more things! :) But time is limited so I want to be sure I visit the places that are top priorities for me.
AnswerID: 619254

Sponsored Links