cape york trip

Submitted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 10:52
ThreadID: 136786 Views:2531 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks
We live in NZ and would like to do the Cape York trip but do not wish to bring our own truck over. Is there any companies that hire out suitable trucks to do this trip We would like to hire in either Brisbane or Cairns to reduce time time and distance
Can any one help with some information
Thanks Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 10:59

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 10:59
We recently crossed the Simpson with some Swiss friends who rented a very well equipped Troopy with roof top tent from Travel Car Centre, 1800 440 300, www.travelcar.com.au

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 619258

Follow Up By: SteveCanuck - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 04:29

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 04:29
I also highly recommend Travel Car Centre; I did a 5 week 10,000Kms trip from Perth to Cairns last year - including up to the Tip and back - with one of their Troopys and it was perfect. Any problems I encountered (I had a small leak in the front diff, a flat, and a smashed windscreen) I simply contacted them and they had me booked in for repairs at the next town along my way. Only road restriction was the OTT, couldn't do all the creek crossings. Very well equipped vehicle and fantastic service.

Steve
FollowupID: 891515

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 13:55

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 13:55
https://www.captainbilly4wdhire.com.au/

or Britz.

Captain Billy was reasonable and will also hire trailers.
AnswerID: 619259

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 18:34

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 18:34
Friends used Captain Billy a few years ago when they accompanied us to the Tip. Vehicle was modern (Ford Ranger) and camping equipment that they provided was good quality. Can't comment on their price nor what restictions were placed on what roads you travelled on other than the main roads (beaches, specific tracks like Frenchman's etc)
Mark
FollowupID: 891511

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 14:07

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 14:07
As much as I hate their marketing, the attitude of Wicked Campers to their hire vehicles was interesting. I hired an older Patrol from Cairns to go to Coen to rescue our camper trailer that someone had broken. It was a bit old, probably a bit dodgy but the attitude was as long as you bring it back with enough fuel to drive in we're happy. That was 3 years ago - perhaps they have gone more upmarket now.

There are quite a few places that hire cars out. Be very very very very careful - check all the reviews of the company (some may be fake) as well as the terms & conditions (you have no hope of getting your bond back with some - something that shows up in the reviews as well as in at least one recent ExplorOz forum post).

You may also need to be a bit more specific about where you want to go at Cape York - we did it about 20 years ago and back then you could have got almost all the way to the top in a Commodore - there was only one or two creeks that were an issue. The road has probably got better since then.

My memory is that the interesting bits were off to the side - so perhaps think about which side trips you want to do then check with the hire car company to make sure you will be allowed there (some have lots of restrictions because other travellers don't know what they are doing).

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619261

Follow Up By: Winner W - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 17:12

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 17:12
Very important to do your research and read fine print of contracts. There is at least one company to avoid at all costs. Has been Posted here and on facebook with absolute ruthless business practices.
Take care but not all of us Ozzies are crooks :-)
FollowupID: 891509

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 11:46

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 11:46
Hi Guys, FYI, Wicked Campers do not have a good reputation with regard to vehicle quality and "roadworthyness". I have had to assist a few "Wicked Camper" renters along the way, and the vehicles are very suspect. Almost bald tyres that definitely would not pass a road worthy, suspension that was "shot", to name just a couple. Yes, they are relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Peter_mcc your comment "the attitude was as long as you bring it back with enough fuel to drive in we're happy." seems to bare this out.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891522

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2018 at 07:04

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2018 at 07:04
Hi folks
Thank you for the information you have supplied . i will conntact the two places in Cairns for costings and bookings
Thank you asll
Ray
AnswerID: 619359

Follow Up By: Winner W - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 20:10

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 20:10
Remember to give us feedback who you went with and your trip report.
FollowupID: 891790

Sponsored Links