Dajarra Fuel Quality

Submitted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 16:03
ThreadID: 136787 Views:3376 Replies:8 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Does anybody know what the quality of fuel is like at Dajarra, south of Mt Isa. I was planning on going from Alice Springs to Urandangi via The Sandover Highway, then head across to Dajarra, refuel and continue east over to Toolebuc etc.

I can imagine that there isn't a great call for fuel from travelers heading North or South and wondered if the fuel may be contaminated with water etc due to its minimal usage.

Thanks in advance.
Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg J1 - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 17:50

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 17:50
Believe it or not but the locals in western Queensland have late model cr diesel vehicles too. Makes me wonder just how those vehicles survive the harsh diesel they sell out there.
AnswerID: 619264

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 17:57

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 17:57
Thats giving Dajarra rough treatment. Their fuel is probably no different to any other small township. If your worried there are a variety of filtering systems you can use, which get mentioned here regularly
FollowupID: 891510

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:11

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:11
Yes, I have an extra filter. I've refueled in many small towns over the years too. My main concern was that being between two large centres, not many traveler's would be filling up there, so fuel turnover would be slow.
FollowupID: 891525

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 14:16

Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 14:16
Well consider this Alex.........

Small dealer will have small tanks.....
Larger dealer will likely have larger tanks....

They will probably have the same turnover time.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891558

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 19:15

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 19:15
Most contaminated fuel comes from small city servos.
The outback servos are fine despite the relentless blurb from the sellers of diesel fuel filters who are just trying to sell filters.
AnswerID: 619265

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:14

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:14
I agree. But as above I don't really want to get fuel from a low volume servo. Doesn't matter where it is.
FollowupID: 891526

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 19:30

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 19:30
G'Day Alex : we were told when in FNQ etc .... avoid over head/above ground diesel fuel tank because they can get some sort of contaminant in the hot climates ????

but would also go along with other comment too ....
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619266

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:15

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:15
I didnt know that. thanks for the advice.
cheers
alex
FollowupID: 891527

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 19:52

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 19:52
Alex. F1
Diesel fuel can be dirty or clean anywhere in the world. Most outback above ground tanks do get water condensate in them at night and the water sits at the bottom of course. It any water leaves the tank such tanks it goes through a trap and filter as it does in your vehicle so that is twice filtered before your engine. Some don’t seem to like having an additional filter to assist filtering processes. I can’t imagine why not.
Trucks have very good filtering and if they get water from tanks they are protected.
Just because the outback area you mention is remote it doesn’t mean poor fuel. Will the next town be any better?
AnswerID: 619267

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:20

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:20
As mentioned above, I agree. But I would rather get fuel if I can from a higher volume servo than a lower volume servo. Having long range tanks generally mean I don't need to get fuel from what I would imagine as a quiet servo.
FollowupID: 891528

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 21:20

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 21:20
Alex, have filled in Dajarra over the years when working around there and never had a problem.

Haven't done it now for a few years. From memory they never had above ground tanks but I could be wrong. Now with the new rectangular double bundled above ground tanks that you see in remote areas, this problem with water has been reduced to near zero.

Are you going from Toolebuc up to Mckinlay or down to Middleton.

AnswerID: 619269

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:27

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:27
Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

i rang the servo since putting the question on the forum and he said he needs and gets refueled once a week. So his volume must be reasonable, which is good.

Yes, I was heading east out through Chatsworth and Toolebuc to the Kennedy Dev Rd. Then west for a bit and then down to Old Cork Station water hole for a few days.

thanks again.
alex
FollowupID: 891529

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 22:31

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 22:31
With fuel it is a bit hit and miss. General rules are go where the trucks go, long range fuel tanks give you a chance to avoid some of the smaller places and be more choosy where you fill up, if there have been floods is an area in say the last year be wary of fuel from underground tanks. If you are going into very remote areas use a Mr Funnel as an extra precaution.
These photo's are of my fuel filter after last years trip about 22,000 kilometres. This trip went through all States and Territories except ACT & Tas. I have a long range tank and I am extremely careful where I fill up. This is a 30 micron pre-filter before the vehicles normal 5 micro filter. As you can see it is very dirty I will be changing it every 10,000 kilometres this year.

Diesel in Australia is not up to the same quality as that available in Europe. In Australia, if you have a diesel engine you are absolutely crazy if you do not have a second fuel filter. I also carry three spare filters each for both my fuel filters so that if I do get bad fuel I have a far better chance of filtering out.

Cheers,
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619271

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 11:38

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 11:38
Hi Chris, what makes you say that Aust. Diesel is not the same quality as that in Europe? Current quality specs are almost identical.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891521

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 13:49

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 13:49
I have not met a diesel mechanic that does not say so, besides look fuel filter, and thats only a 30 micron filter.
Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891523

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:34

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:34
Yes I do have long range tanks and extra fuel filters, and generally pick my fueling stops in high volume locations if possible.

Its just if I stick to my route from Alice Springs without deviating down to Boulia, I would need fuel from Dajarra to continue east out through Toolebuc. The previous reply has made me feel better about getting fuel from there.
FollowupID: 891530

Follow Up By: Theo D - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:52

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:52
Thats a really dirty filter!!!

I've opened up some filters of mine from Cape trips and also out to Isa or Lawn Hill and they never look that bad!

Fuel filters every 5K is a must for modern day diesels. Push it to 10 if you really want but 5K is good practice. I use Transgold filters and they are fine for the price. My 1hz is naturally aspirated so I do it every 10K but manual states every 20K. Again, good practice!

Buy a mr funnel you'll be glad you did.
FollowupID: 891532

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 16:07

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 16:07
The main problem and it happened to me, if a servo runs his tank down too low, and when the Tank is filled with a 100mm tanker hose, the remaining fuel is churned up, bringing everything off the bottom of the tank and into suspension for a few hours. If you are unlucky enough to fill your vehicle shortly after, you generally don't get too far down the road before you have filter and fuel problems. Fortunately for me I had a BP card and BP paid for the repairs no problems. All fuel i buy i get a receipt, if I have a fuel problem, I have proof of purchase. Normally you are not far away from where you purchased it if you get a bad tank full. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891533

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 16:41

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 16:41
Yes, filling up after a delivery is certainly a well know issue. I thought after I hung up the phone talking to the servo operator that I should have asked what day he had his fuel delivered at Dajarra.

Luckily you had your BP card to verify your purchase.
FollowupID: 891535

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 10:31

Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 10:31
Guys, The Specs for Australian Road Grade Diesel Fuel is almost identical to that of the Euro 5 Specs. The issue is not the quality of the fuel when it leaves the Terminal, the quality can become compromised at any site anywhere in the world if they have issues such as leaking tanks.

Modern underground tanks are constructed of a composite material, and are no longer steel. All new underground tanks can no longer be made of steel, this is legislated.

In Australia, most Biodiesel is blended with tallow and not vegetable oil owing to the cost difference between the two. Tallow can seperate from the diesel in low volume sites. The same is also true of Bio gasoline blends.

Water in Diesel tanks can lead to the growth of algae at the water/fuel interface. This & rust are the largest causes of fuel contamination in diesel. That and the occasional crossover where the delivery driver mistakenly drops petrol into a diesel tank at a servo. Yes it does happen, and when it does the fuel has to be pumped out and either returned to a refinery for reprocessing, or disposed of as contaminated waste.

Macca.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891554

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 12:42

Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 12:42
Thanks for that Macca. I did not know that all new tanks could not be steel, but it makes sense. Does this only apply to in the ground tanks? I have noticed an increase in above the ground tanks in the more remote locations which appear to be steel. Above the ground tanks appeal to me as you can see their condition and how they are maintained. Also if there are floods with an underground tank the whole tank including fill and discharge points are under water, so who knows if any water gets in.
Macca comes from Penong on the Eyre Highway in SA. The servo there is one of the best in all Australia. Their price is ALWAYS very competitive, so is used by the trucks, so the fuel is always fresh. I go through Penong most years and I always plan my fuel stops so that at Penong I am nearly empty. A great place for a stop and the windmills are also very interesting.
Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891556

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 13:55

Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 13:55
Hi Chris, above ground tanks can still be made of steel, only steel underground tanks have been banned.

My profile photo was taken in Penong, but I live in Werribee, Victoria.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891557

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 22:45

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 22:45
I was in Urandangi last year and asked Pam (The publican) about the track from Urandangi to Tobermorey. She said it was black country so keep out if wet. I will be going to Alice Springs from Queensland this year so provided its dry I will use this track. You can always give her a ring on 07 4748 4988 for road conditions. You may like to consider this as a short cut from Alice to Urandangi.
Cheers,
Chris

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619273

Follow Up By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:40

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:40
Thanks for the info. I've seen that track on the map. Might be a good idea to ring before leaving Alice. I will be heading out from Alice along the Plenty until the Binns Track. Up The Binns Track up to the Sandover Hwy heading east. Then down to Urandangi and across to Dajarra. From there, east out through Toolebuc and down to Old Cork Waterhole, etc.
Cheers
Alex
FollowupID: 891531

Reply By: Member - Alex F1 - Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:50

Friday, Jun 01, 2018 at 15:50
Thanks to everybody for your replies. After speaking to the servo operator, and a previous reply above regarding Dajarra, I feel that I will get fuel there. It seems they have a reasonable turn over which was my main concern. And don't have above ground tanks.

Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 619285

Sponsored Links