Cars catching fire

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1368 Views:1628 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I read Gary's post about the fire in his vehicle at Windy Corner and wondered if the risk of vehicular fire was associated with the type of fuel, or the presence of a catalytic converter. Does anyone know?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: paul - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00
No idea and haven't read Gary's thread but I do know that when you're driving over or through grass or spinifex of a foot or two high it can get wound up with your exhaust and baffler system which cause it gets very very hot can lead to fire starting from underneath which is very bad and harder to detect quickly than one starting from under the bonnet.
AnswerID: 4470

Reply By: Gary Wright - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

In response to Bob and Paul about the fire under my vehicle. Paul is absolutely correct about the spinifex. Driving along the Heather, Gunbarrel and Gary
Highways the spinifex was up to two foot high. It had become wrapped around our exhaust pipe and luckily burnt out the oxygen analyser on oor Pajero.

That in turn shorted out the computer making us stop. Quick thinking by our tour leader had about 8 blokes lift the vehicle from the side while he dived underneath
with a knife and cut the analyser wires and pulled them up. The spinifex was about to ignite totally. That would have probably meant the loss of our vehicle.

We have since been told that we should have cleared the spinifex out however we would have been stopping every 10 minutes. Incidentally our vehicle was the only petrol
vehicle. The nine diesels had no problems.. We know own a Diesel.

Regards

Gary W.
AnswerID: 4477

Follow Up By: Colin - Thursday, Jun 27, 2002 at 00:00

Petrol vehicles with cat's on exhaust are more of a risk then diesel power, but it would be smart to do regular checks on all vehicles in grassy areas. The grass can build up in tight areas on the muflers, on top of sump guards etc. As a Subaru driver in these conditions the risk is high - I carry a piece of fencing wire # 1 m long to clean out grass, and a 1 litre spray bottle of water. Do the checks every time you stop and don't park over grass - move over so the wheel track is under the exhaust! You were very lucky with the Pajero Gary!
FollowupID: 1909

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
Totaly off the subject, your not the Gary Wright who lived in Albury nsw 35years ago are you.....Axel .
FollowupID: 1922

Reply By: Bob - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Yes the spinifex can be a real pest. We drove along the Colson in April and as we were the first vehicles for some time it was especially thick. It was also very hot (42), so the thermatic fan was running almost the whole time. Frequent stops to clear the radiator were needed. The fine seeds were stuck in the fins of the radiator core.
AnswerID: 4483

Follow Up By: Colin - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Have to agree with you here as well - spinifex in the radiator is a pain! Last year we approached CSR/Durba from the east from Jigalong. The 180 km from Savory Ck had high grass, 1m + in places as the track hadn't been used for a few years?. The mesh screen I had was completely shredded - mind you the Subaru is a little closer to the ground! I took my radiator out at Durba and gave it a good clean. Might try metal fly screen next time which may last a little longer.
FollowupID: 1926

Reply By: Gary Wright - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

In reply to Axel,

Yes I am the Gary Wright that lived in Albury all that time ago. And I reckon I know who you are.

Send me an email to gcwright@hotkey.net.au. It will be great to hear from you Axel.

Gary W.
AnswerID: 4492

Sponsored Links