Finding gps locations

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 10:37
ThreadID: 136811 Views:3043 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a program that I can input a gps location and it will show it on a map.
Will exploroz Traveller do this ?
I am planning a trip east of Meekatharra and was given a list of gps reading and would like to see if there near the area we will be travelling in.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 11:01

Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 11:01
You can do it in Google Maps, but I suspect that is not entirely what you want as AFAIK it would work only if there is internet coverage. My wife thinks that if you set up a route in Google Maps while in internet coverage, GM stores the detailed map locally and then if you go out of coverage you still have a detailed map of the route. I don't use GM on the road, so I don't know myself.

You can sort of do it in OziExplorer in both PC and Android versions.

In the PC version, move the mouse around and observe the lat/long readout below the toolbars.

In the Android version, the "cursor" is a cross within a circle in the centre of the screen. Scroll the map around and the lat/long at the cursor will be displayed. What you see depends on what you have chosen to display, but the ability to display continuous lat/long is there - just tap the display options buttons until you get it.

I don't think Traveller can readily do it. You can long press any point on the map and a "Save Place" dialogue will come up showing lat and long in degrees and decimals. If it's wrong you can cancel that and try again somewhere else to get a closer result, but it's not really practical. Michelle might be able to show a better way.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619441

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 12:06

Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 12:06
When the "Save Place" dialogue comes up showing lat and long in degrees and decimals just change the lat/long to what you want and save it as a place/way point as normal.
FollowupID: 891719

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 14:12

Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 14:12
Ron,

Thanks for that. I totally forgot that the lat/long in the save place dialogue is editable.

So for the OP, convert your DMS lat/long to degree and decimals, then in Traveller long press anywhere on the map to bring the dialogue up, edit the lat/long and save the place.Too easy.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891721

Reply By: Gary T7 - Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 11:05

Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 11:05
Google maps will do it for you .just input coordinates into search window. and search
Can then be viewed in satelite view .Works for me
AnswerID: 619442

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 13:01

Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 13:01
No gold left at those GPS locations Kerry. :)
Dave.
AnswerID: 619445

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 18:30

Saturday, Jun 09, 2018 at 18:30
That's what they all say...:)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891723

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 12:23

Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 12:23
Kerry (and Frank) yes there's a few options with ExplorOz products for doing that.

Firstly, free - go to Places on our website and go to the map - simply hover your mouse over the map and you'll see the lat/long position displayed in a box in the bottom left of the map (note you can enlarge the map to full screen).

Secondly, if you own our app - ExplorOz Traveller, you can input a known GPS position as others have indicated by the following method:-

*open the map - press/hold your finger on any part of the map (no need for any accuracy at this point) - this will bring up a box containing the Lat/Long of the place you selected, however you simply type over the given the lat/long to the details you know. By default the box is pre-filled with a name (chronological Wpt Number) but you can change this by typing over, and by default it will have a Place Type (Waypoint, but you can use the pull down arrow to change to another type of place more relevant). You will need to press the SAVE PLACE button but again, by default this will be saved as a Private Place and only accessible to you. You can of course managed to edit/delete/open these as you require.

NOTE: the app also allows you to drop a pin (top right of map window) for your current position (this brings up the same save place box). It also allows you to find places by street address, and by searching by Place name.

Hope this helps.

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619469

Sponsored Links