ExplorOz apps on Android Auto In Dash Entertainment Unit

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 23:14
ThreadID: 136829 Views:5806 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are upgrading the radio Head unit in our 120 series Prado and will be choosing an aftermarket unit that will have Android Auto as the base operating system. As these units when connected to internet WiFi have access to Google Play Store, has anyone got one of these types of radios in their car and have you installed ExplorOz app with the full set of Australia maps?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:06

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:06
HI A & O,
I'm wondering a little about your terminology here and suspect that's why you haven't got an answer yet as some people might be confused what it is you are asking.

If the unit runs the full Android operating system then yes if you can get to the PlayStore and download apps then this is no different to using a portable Android tablet in which case, yes you can install ExplorOz Traveller and the Premium Offline Map pack for your GPS/Navigation and use it exactly the same as anyone else using an Android tablet.

However, Android Auto is a totally different thing. Not every app works with Android auto. It's all customised to the Google experience and as a result is only compatible with certain apps that either belong to the Google suite of products or that have been custom-built for compliance with the Android auto system, whiuch controls the user-interface. For mapping, only Google maps and WAZE can be run on Android Auto.

As stated here on Android Central, "You can have any navigation app on Android Auto, so long as it's Google Maps or, more recently, Waze. (Coincidentally, both of those apps are owned by Google.). This is one of those times when the lack of choice should be bemoaned". Link to Android Central for Android Auto article dated Feb 2018
We have had a good look at whether it is possible to develop an Android Auto version of ExplorOz Traveller but no, it is not possible. Developers are locked out due to it's Google-ism.

Also, just keep in mind that Android Auto is an online system - requiring the internet whereas ExplorOz Traveller and the EOTopo maps are developed to provide offline navigation and mapping - so a totally different tool and market.

Use your Android auto for what and where it is designed - city/town navigation. But ExplorOz Traveller is for outback travellers. Australia is a very different market to the rest of the world and we are too small to have the big developers really cater for the needs of the niche market. Hence locally developed GPS/Nav products like ours are required for specific use that doesn't fit the mainstream.
Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619520

Follow Up By: A & O - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:02
Thank you so much Michelle for the great response. Yes, I had the understanding that Android Auto is the operating system used on a lot of head units these days, but no it’s just modified to suit hardware it’s installed on.

There are so many on the market, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, JVC to name just a Jew of the premier brands and Joying, XTron, Dasaita and so many more.

I would love to hear from people with these type of radio head units that have installed ExplorOz app, how hard was it, how has your experience been since installation?

Many thanks
FollowupID: 891820

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:30
As Michelle said. You cant run ExplorOz Traveller on an Android Auto device. You will have to find a device that runs a true Android operating system. Something similar to the one below.

Android 7.1

FollowupID: 891822

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 18:38
You can buy headunits that do run proper Android but these are usually Chinese and I'm not sure of the quality
AnswerID: 619531

Reply By: Kocon - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 15:43

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 15:43
Hi
I've just finished installing a Dasaita head unit in my 150 Prado. I was tired of the small screen Navman type units for navigation around town and then using a tablet for more remote travel. The unit I bought does everything just like a tablet does, internet when avail when connected through the mobile phone via hotspot, has 32gb of memory for any other apps you may want to download. I've stored about 20gb of maps for off road use (I use oziexplorer) and so far so good. Bluetooth for the phone works fine as does the stereo (better than toyotas did). And last but not least it was very easy to install.

Now the negatives.
The screen doesn't automatically dim when the headlights come on. You must manually dim it and occasionally you get a bit of reflection which makes it hard to read in bright daylight. There is no favourites or shortcuts for regular phone calls, you have to search for them in the address-book every-time. There was no instructions on how to operate the unit and minimal instructions on how to install it, although it was easy. The bracket to mount it was incorrectly placed which required me to reverse it and drill extra holes. And finally it came with a navigation program called "IGO" which kept crashing after a few minutes. Not a huge problem because it didn't seem to be a good navigation program anyway. When I contacted the seller in China there didn't seem a lot of interest in helping. To sum it up the unit cost $520.00 delivered. Some will say you get what you pay for but I'm probably 90% happy with it so far. A vast improvement on the Toyota system, however the internals may not last anytime who knows? Time will tell.
Good Luck
AnswerID: 619638

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 18:35

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 18:35
There are some units now which have "mirroring (casting) capabilities, which means you can simply have the image on your phone show up on your head unit. I have just installed a Kenwood unit which does this, so I can use Android Auto (when connected by USB) or have mirroring on the touch screen dash unit.

This means you can have anything you can put on your Android phone. You must have a phone which allows mirroring (e.g. Mirracast on later Samsung phones). With the touch screen you can completely control any and all of your phone apps on the dash.

Works a treat.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 619644

Sponsored Links