Nissan navara

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 13:11
ThreadID: 136879 Views:6147 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hey everyone I know this isn't the best spot for it but people have always been so helpful on this site and I really appreciate.
I'm looking at a d40 navara. Either 2006 to 2010.
I'm not that bothered between diesel and petrol. Can anyone tell me anything about these or if the diesel or petrol is better or any known issues or things I should look out for. Any feedback is great.
Thanks heaps
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 13:39

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 13:39
I am not a fan of Navaras D40 variety. Many of them were sold from factory with bent/malformed rhr chassis sections. Had first hand experience with 4 of them. I have pics of 2 brand new ones on the lot, chassis bent.
Gearbox hardening of shafts used to be an issue. Some diesel engine blocks warped and gasket failed.some folk have them and had no troubles, so if buying one it pays to thoroughly have it checked for mechanical and chassis integrity.
AnswerID: 619731

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 16:32

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 16:32
Were those the European or Asian produced ones?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892039

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:45

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:45
PeterD
Not sure which area, Spain I think. But it appears Nissan Oz sent a few to most areas in Australia so a concentration of sus vehicles weren’t noticed. I wonder about the ethics of it all, and no recall ever brought to bear. My pics are of two red ones side by side at my local dealer, knowing what to look for the 22 mm lower guard arch was easily seen. I have the VINs of both.
D22 were also affected with tubs being lower on one side of the tub front being noticeably shorter than the RHS, ie different height in the front corners. Seen when the tub and rear window are not parallel.
FollowupID: 892043

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 15:00

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 15:00
Spaanerman65

The D40 don't have a great reputation .

Better options out there .

Cheers
AnswerID: 619732

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 16:38

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 16:38
Diesels breaking timing chains & destroying the motor has been a serious issue.
AnswerID: 619735

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:34

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:34
There was a lengthy thread on here a while back where a guys motor blew with only 70k on the clock but outside the time warranty. He was fighting Nissan for all it was worth as he was stuck in a town on the road and on a pension from memory. A friend, (lady), had one and blew the motor before 100k too. I was interested in one a few years ago and my mechanic said no. All of this relates to the 2.5 diesel. I haven't heard anything bad about the 3litre v6 diesel 550nm model (not to be confused with the 3litre 4 cylinder grenade).
AnswerID: 619737

Reply By: Paul E6 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:14

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:14
Cast iron con rods and cam shafts.
AnswerID: 619742

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:22

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:22
Paul
What do you mean cast iron con rods? strange you say that.
FollowupID: 892048

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:37

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:37
It's been a while, but you can find it on YouTube.
FollowupID: 892051

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 22:13

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 22:13
Paul
Never seen engines with cast iron con rods. Maybe cast steel, but most are forged steel and not cast iron.
If on U Tube or any Tube it must be true!
At maximum revs of a D40 engine, inertia creates at least 2 tons of tension in the con rods, possibly more, due to the weight of the piston and so cast iron isn't going too last long.
FollowupID: 892054

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 05:55

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 05:55
Not to mention, banana skins in the gearbox. Factory supplied!
FollowupID: 892056

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 09:05

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 09:05
Cavendish or Lady Finger? It does make a difference.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892089

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:31

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:31
Lady Finger are only used in the top of the range
2018 Nissan Navara ST-X (4x4) (SUNROOF) Allan.
Dave.
FollowupID: 892090

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 22:33

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 22:33
I do not recall ever seeing any factory automotive engine built in the last 50 years with cast iron conrods.

Cast iron is completely unsuitable for use as conrod material because it has enormous strength under compression, but very little strength under tension.
Cast iron conrods would fracture when the piston stops suddenly at the end of the crank throw.

Cast iron is used for camshaft material in 98% of automotive engines, because it is a highly suitable material for that use, and because it can be chill-hardened to extreme hardness, as required for camshaft lobes.

Cast iron is used for many crankshafts, because it provides satisfactory performance in that position.

The YD25 engine fitted to the D40 Navara is a bundle of trouble.
The problems are many, and they are all costly to fix.

1. The YD25 lower simplex (single row) timing chain is exceptionally weak, and it stretches, then breaks - with resultant major engine damage.
The cure is a replacement duplex chain - at sizeable cost.

For vehicle owners with original chains, it is recommended that the simplex chain be replaced at 80,000kms and inspected every 40,000kms thereafter.

Sometimes, if the engine doesn't fire up immediately upon cranking, it will stall and kick backwards - thus allowing the chain tensioner piston to travel backwards, and thereby giving the stretched chain enough slack to skip over the gear teeth - causing valve timing to go out of phase.
The result will be serious engine damage when the engine does start.

YD25 single row timing chain failures

2. The simplex timing chain tensioner is prone to excessive wear and failure. There are improved and modified tensioners available - at more cost.

3. The YD25 cast iron crankshaft is prone to fracturing at the number 4 rod journal between approximately 90,000kms and 160,000kms.

This is caused by poor quality cast iron, or poor quality heat treatment, and possible engine balance issues.
In essence, the YD25 engine has a weak crankshaft.

Changing the Dual-Mass factory flywheel to a solid flywheel will accentuate the crankshaft weakness, and cause earlier crankshaft failure.

4. All the major engine fasteners (conrod bolts, main bearing cap bolts, and head studs), are not re-useable.
This is because they stretch after one tightening, and lose their ability to fasten properly.
If someone has worked on the engine and loosened, and then re-used these fasteners, they are just waiting to fail prematurely.

5. A known issue with the YD25 is excessive bearing clearances from the factory, caused by poor engineering and poor assembly, resulting in inadequate bearing crush.

6. The YD25 oil pump gear is manufactured using a process known as "sintered metal". Sintered metal is a process whereby finely powdered metal is injected into a mold, which is then subject to great heat and pressure, forming a solid part in the process.

It is a process now extensively used in automotive manufacturing, because it is faster and cheaper than forging, stamping, or machining a part from a billet.
Properly done, sintered metal components are quite satisfactory in many applications, where stress levels are low.

Unfortunately, Nissan engineers miscalculated the strength needed for the oil pump gear on the YD25 and failures of this sintered metal gear are not infrequent.

YD25 oil pump gear failures

7. The YD25 EGR cooler has regular failures caused by the cooler splitting internally or around its flanged ends. Often the leaking coolant is not seen because it evaporates.

If the low coolant is not noticed, the engine will overheat and possible serious engine damage is the result.

8. The factory recommends 5W-30 oil for the engine. This is an unsuitable grade of oil for Australian conditions, and results in poor lubrication performance at high ambient temperatures, or high working temperatures.
A more suitable oil grade for the Navara in Australia is 15W-40.

A list of Navara recalls ....

Nissan Navara official recalls and problems list

Nissan actually gave some kind of weak apology in 2014, for the poor levels of build quality in the Navaras built between about 2005 and 2012 - but they still played down the substantial amount of Navara problems.

Nissan promises build quality will improve with new Navara

I'm not so sure that anything much has changed at Nissan - and one thing they are well-known for, is treating customers badly when the customer lodges a build quality, or vehicle performance complaint.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619744

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 11:03

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 11:03
Wow :-(

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892059

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 17:30

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 17:30
G'day Ron
You have a bit more info than I have re the Wonderful Nissan donk. I wasn't aware of the oil pump issue, essentially the engines are poor quality. So many problems designed into one single engine. It makes you think engineers were not involved in it's development, or the bean counters had a gun to their heads.

I see Macca is surprised, it is simply good info backed with fact.

A local vehicle to me, had noises similar to timing chain noise at under 40,000km and it continued to get worse as KM's grew. The dealer flatly repeatedly refused to admit it was the issue. They had to have known because of the history of the engines. At 85,000km the owner made more noise than the timing chain and it was reluctantly replaced along with the damaged sprockets. Just in time before engine destruction.

I had some dealings with the company and represented a bloke being carved up after his purchase of a D40 and most people would be stunned at the dealer and company attitude and responses. If you want to be/feel helpless and worthless with a problem, then these provide opportunity for that.

That old saying is true.

We don't mind and you don't matter.
FollowupID: 892067

Follow Up By: KevinE - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 18:49

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 18:49
"I see Macca is surprised, it is simply good info backed with fact."

Re Ron's point 8: I'm looking at page 9-7 of the owner's manual. There are actually 7 oil types listed there by Nissan & a chart matching oil type to the owner's particular climate.

Ron says "A more suitable oil grade for the Navara in Australia is 15W-40"

Well Nissan actually do recommend this oil grade for those in the climate where its suited, in the owner's manual.

Facts?

It kind of discredits his whole post IMO.
FollowupID: 892068

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 21:15

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 21:15
Kevin - From 2007, Nissan changed the oil recommendation for the YD25 engine, to 5W-30. Their relevant Technical Bulletin is MB1204.

Navara D40 oil recommendation - Exploroz (Aug. 2007)

Penrite Enviro C-4 - the premium 5W-30 recommended for Navara

The early Spanish-built D40 Navara is a dog, and Nissan still have problems with the latest NP300 model - sagging springs being just one.

That's without even mentioning the D40 Navara chassis corrosion problems encountered in the wetter regions of the world - that most Australian Navaras have so far managed to avoid, due to our largely dry climate, and the fact that our roads aren't salted in Winter.

However, anyone doing boating in salt water with a Navara would need to be made aware of the Navara's chassis corrosion potential.

There is talk of a class action against Nissan for their major chassis corrosion problems, and there is even a Farcebook, "Nissan Navara snapped chassis Group" page.
In addition, the U.K. Govt has established a Government Transport Select Committee to investigate the Navara chassis corrosion concerns.

Of course, the standard response from Nissan is to downplay any concerns, and talk about "very low numbers", involving chassis corrosion problems.

Furious UK Navara owners want all D40's recalled for chassis corrosion issues

D40 Navara chassis snap drama

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892069

Follow Up By: KevinE - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 21:23

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 21:23
Neither of your links are from Nissan Ron.

Please put up credible info from Nissan about oils.
FollowupID: 892070

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:00

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:00
Kevin E
If you look at just one state, ie, NSW dept of Fair Trading vehicle complaint resolution and read the requency of reports of dealer and company actions regarding inferior D40 and D22 Navaras, it is interesting to see those vehicles feature quite often with regard to other makes and complaints.
After reading the Fair Trading info and see the range of porblems and dealer and Company attitude to valued customers, you would not buy one. Not even if they promise to make the new model better, as they do, which is an admission of shortcomings in itself.
FollowupID: 892074

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:45

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:45
Kevin, I'm not about to, nor am I able, to put up "credible links from Nissan" for oil recommendations, for the following reasons.

1. Technical Service Bulletins are corporate information bulletins from Head Office to Dealers and authorised agents.
It is not possible to legally acquire any of those bulletins, unless you are approved as a Nissan dealer or repairer.

These TSB's are a sore point between companies and repairers - and in America, repairers commenced a class action to get the automotive companies to release their TSB information to any repairer.
The companies countered with the argument that the information was "commercial in confidence", and was not for general public consumption.

The repairers had a small win and the courts ordered the automotive manufacturers to release some technical information that was stopping repairers such as smash repair shops, from repairing vehicles.

However, the automotive manufacturers still keep the bulk of their technical information close to their chest.

2. Nissan and its dealers and repairers can't agree on the oil type to be used. Nissan are stating that 5W-30 oil is to be used, and only the Nissan brand of oil.

However, it appears some Nissan dealers and authorised repairers are using 15W-40 instead - possibly because they see the results of using too thin a grade of oil.

It is also quite likely that many Dealers and authorised repairers are using a "generic" brand of oil.
They are there to make money, they are likely to only purchase the cheapest brand of oil that will do the job.

3. Nissan take its oil grade recommendations from the oil companies, who manufacture the oil.

Often, either or both the oil company and the automotive manufacturer dither about the correct oil grade, and make changes to the recommended grade of oil.

You can have a manual that states certain grades for certain temperature ranges - then you find that both the oil manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer will advise you that the information in your manual is obsolete, and you need to take notice of the latest recommendations.

This comes about, because the oil manufacturing process is a moving target, and new additives are frequently found by lubrication engineers, and added to oils - and the API are constantly upgrading oil classifications.

The API diesel oils classifications have changed 14 times since oil classifications were introduced after WW2.
Of those 14 diesel oil classifications, 10 are listed as "obsolete", and only 4 are "current".
It's interesting to note that the oldest "current" classification, was only released in 1998.

API diesel oil classifications

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 892076

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 20:09

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 20:09
"Kevin, I'm not about to, nor am I able, to put up "credible links from Nissan" for oil recommendations"

Enough said.

FollowupID: 892081

Reply By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 16:27

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 16:27
the problem with the d40 that old is the repair if you have a major breakdown .talking diesel ,a blown motor would cost more than the cars worth 2nd hand parts are expensive as nissan changed parts from one year to another even the 2.5 has 2 versions from 06-09 and one does not fit into the other.i have a 1 owner 2008 stx with a blown motor ran through evil bay and got max $2300 bid even with a warn winch arb bar duel bat long rang tank arb air locker with compressor safari snorkel ect . could not even give the tank and diff locks to a good mate with a 2013 model as the diff ratio is different the tank will fit but the senders are different mybe all cars are like that now i don,t know.my navara cooked the engine because i ran it without water, it was a good car that done the simpson x2 old tel track kimberly ect any best of luck in buying a 4x4 any way cheers warren
AnswerID: 619766

Reply By: 76lifted - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 23:52

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 23:52
2 uncles have had d40 navs

The first uncle had a manual spain built which was crashed before it could break down.

The same person got a auto thai built d40 as a replacement this car had major problems with the EGR from about 50,000 kms at 160,000 it spat its first turbo and at 190,000 it did it second. All repair work carried out by a nissan dealer and took an eternity. The car also never had any power and the trans took ages to shift.

The second uncle bought his at the same time as the aforementioned manual car. This one was an auto.
It spat a turbo at 120,000 and the head gasket at 150,000 it couldnt handle sand driving without overheating aswell. This was before the head gasket replacement and after. The car was sold after being cleaned with a box of degreaser to hide all the leaks it had.

Both cars were the 2.5 diesel and neither were modified with the exception of a 2 inch lift

That said a close friend has a petrol d40 and has had no problems

And a d40 featured on 4wd action running 35 psi of boost so maybe the head gasket was a once of.

I would keep clear but feel free

Cheers jed
AnswerID: 619771

Sponsored Links