Great help in 79 series lost wheel

Submitted: Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 17:51
ThreadID: 136925 Views:3257 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of days ago on Saturday while heading to Karijini NP lost the rear passengers wheel. Gave the bitumen a bit of a scour, wore a bit off the disk brake, ground the fish plate down a fair bit. Got it off the road and jacked it up an got the disc off, cut away a little of the backing plate. Renewed all the studs and nut ( spare stash ) dressed up the disc with a flapper wheel on the grinder, put it all back together and headed to Port Hedland. Was told of a fellow, Jeff Brockman from N&l Mechanical in Wedgefield who fixed me up on Monday staight away. Got the parts from different parts of town. I got a second hand rim from the wreckers in Wedgefield and the Toyo Tyre from Tyre-right in Wedgefield. Good end result, thanks to Jeff and his staff for a job well done.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 18:19

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 18:19
Good one Raymond.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619909

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 22:44

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 22:44
Raymond, I'm presuming the vehicle is the traytop in your pic?

Unfortunately, losing rear wheels is a fairly common occurrence with heavily loaded 79 series.

I presume all the studs fractured? This means it's highly likely the studs on the other side are in a similar condition (studs cracking) - and I'd recommend the other side rear wheel studs need to be checked, to ensure a similar event doesn't happen again soon, with the drivers side.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619933

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:39

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 09:39
Part and parcel of not 'just' Tojo overloading Etc ... the problem stems from incorrect torque applied to the wheel nuts on most vehiclesbe it Tojo or any other make ....yes 'rattle' guns are a gods send for time and money BUT unless they are calibrated regulary and the tire fitter has a 'gun' for each and every model vehicle nuts and studs get over tightened - stretched .
FollowupID: 892277

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 20:33

Thursday, Jul 05, 2018 at 20:33
Hi Ron, yes you are correct, it is a Ute and I changed all tyres around 3000kms ago in Mackay. After getting the wheel on checked all wheels and found all other nuts took a little righting. Goes to show the only nut not checking things is the one behind the steering wheel. Will look at the other studs also because they done the same work. Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892292

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 08:36

Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 08:36
Raymond,

If you check back through the many blogs of Mick O's, he mentioned some wheel studs he had fabricated by a workshop in, I think, Adelaide. The firm also did mail order if I remember correctly.

Need some for my own 79 too,

We might have passed you somewhere, in WA, were at Karajini on 24-25th June, then out to Tom Price, before turning east for home, via Carrawine Gorge.

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892303

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 22:56

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 22:56
Hi Bob

Was in Carawine Gorge on the 26 - 27 of last month. Came through from Alice via the Gary Junction. Left and went to Marble Bar for a little while before heading to Newnan. Very close to each other alright. Thanks for the info will look it up.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892355

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 16:31

Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 16:31
Ray, who did the tyres in Mackay. If you had toyo's fitted it was probably tyre power and I know they use torque wrenches for the final nip up.

Have always retention mine a couple of hundred k"s down the track, but have been known to do it a couple of days later.

Have lost a couple of wheels of the old 6 stud Tojo hubs when the studs have sheared through the use of rattle guns not set right. lucky it's always been on the back.
FollowupID: 892707

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 16:58
Hi 9900Eagle'

Yes it was in the building where Tyre Power used to operate from, but tyres are still sold from the same building. I thought that it was the old Tyre Power until I saw the new Tyre Power in a building a couple of streets over near Better Brakes a week later. But i can't say how the final tensioning of the nuts are done. But In the future will check the nuts a little time after driving and at intervals until i'm happy their not going to part company with the car.

Regards Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892742

Reply By: OBJ - Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 16:49

Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 16:49
Reminds me of the old Kenny Rogers song "You :Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me, Loose Wheel".

No need to thank me .. it's all part of the job.
AnswerID: 619988

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 23:19

Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 23:19
Yes, unfortunately, every time you hear it, though - you end up feeling, it's a big let-down. [;-)

No need to thank me - I do this for free, all the time - and I don't even work here.

FollowupID: 892340

Reply By: andrew t - Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 15:38

Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 15:38
was it the passenger side wheel and what type of rim was it factory alloy, aftermarket alloy factory steel or aftermarket steel, just curious as we lost the pasenger side in the 78 series troopy but it was aftermarket alloys and the wheel nuts only grab on the last 15mm of thread on the wheel stud, we have since changed to 105 series steel rims with no problems at all far more nut on far more stud.
AnswerID: 620296

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond J - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 16:47

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 16:47
Hi Andrew

Have finally came out of the bush and yes it was the passengers back, it was a factory alloys as well. Never had trouble before in the 9 years I had it and all the tyres on it. I must check all wheel nuts after I put on new or change a wheel in the future.

Thanks Ray.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892741

Sponsored Links