Ford Ranger long range fuel tank

Submitted: Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 18:09
ThreadID: 136926 Views:17441 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,
We have just bought a new Ford Ranger and had a long range fuel tank fitted by ARB. They have told us that it cannot be re calibrated from the 80 litre to the 140 litre. Not sure if this is right, can anybody enlighten me on this.

Cheers Hayd.
Alcohol may be man's worst enemy but the bible says love your enemy

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 18:50

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 18:50
I would agree with their reply.
I had fitted a long range tank to my new Dmax ute, from 70 liters to 130 liters.

As long as the fuel gauge float just touches the bottom of the empty tank - which it did on mine - the dash gauge displays at the full mark for a long time after filling up. When it starts moving down it was similar than with the original tank. The reserve after the low fuel light came on was also the same.

The car computers calculation of remaining range becomes meaningless though.
If you need that information a scan gauge can give it if you take the bother of calibrating it over several fill up cycles.
AnswerID: 619910

Reply By: thinkin - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:00

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:00
Did ARB tell you this after fitting it. I've looked at fitting a long range tank to my Mazda BT50 (same as Ford Ranger) and have come across this problem from various long range tank suppliers. The LongRanger tank manufacturer indicate this problem in their FAQ section.
They have extensive information on their web site about their tank and operation, you could get in touch with tank manufacturer, they should know.
AnswerID: 619911

Follow Up By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 18:52

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 18:52
Gday thinkin,

Yes we were told after it was fitted, we will check it out.
Cheers
Hayd.

FollowupID: 892241

Reply By: Peter K20 - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:18

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:18
Just been through this in BT50.
In a ranger PX2 you can use a program called forscan to change the fuel tank size
You can’t do it with the PX1 and BT50 apparently.
If you look at the Long Ranger FAQ page it discusses the same issue and mentions that your DTE (Distance to Empty) will improve but it’s not exactly right
On my last trip with the ARBFrontier 140l tank we drove to the DTE was 0 and drove a few klms more (was at about 1050klms at about 12lph). I refueled and put in 117L one day and 123 the next.
CAUTION: I have read this in a few places so something to watch is that in the Ranger/BT50 when the DTE is 0 - you can only drive about 20-30klms before the car shuts down. You then need to add about 20l, I haven’t gone that far to prove it test though :)
For the Forscan details and guide google
“forscan ranger fuel tank” and you should find The Saeb forum - you have to join to read it though
Hope this helps
Pete
AnswerID: 619912

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:32

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:32
G'day Hayd

You have three options re: this issue

1 - buy an Ultragauge or Scangauge and you can enter your fuel tank size and if you set them up right you can get your DTE and time to empty at your current speed along with numerous other info !

2 - join www.saeb.net and the guy that owns/runs that site can re programme your Ranger's computer to tell it it has a 140 litre tank ( for a small donation ) and it will then function as a normal tank does with the DTE.

3 - Do nothing ( like me ) and after a few tanks of fuel you will soon learn how the DTE works with your new tank - I have a 140 litre tank in my Ranger and the gauge just sits on Full for quite a while then gives you the DTE once it reaches about 80 litres ( standard tank size ) but in a much slower manner than normal.

I'm getting about a 1150 to 1200 k range on the black stuff but running much larger than standard tyres and always have a lot of weight on board including many accessories

Hope this helps

Happy and safe travelling - now with much longer distances between bowsers

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 619913

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:38

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:38
Hi Hayd

In a short answer, what you have been told is correct.

Years ago we had 3 long range fuel tanks fitted to our past Pajeros, from 92 to 150 litres.

The fuel tank gauge would not drop until after around 400 kilometre, showing totally full until then.

After that it would then drop quickly for another 200 kilometres and then normal after that.

Until you get used to it, it is a real pain if you do not zero back your trip metre to keep an eye on things and could get caught out, not knowing how much fuel you have really used.

The only way to overcome this was when we purchased our current Toyota Prado with its standard from the factory 180 litre fuel tanks, and the newer Prados with 150 litre tanks, with the fuel gauge working perfect.

I personally think that the size of standard tanks in most vehicles is a complete joke for our Australian driving conditions.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619914

Reply By: Rob J8 - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:38

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 19:38
Hello Hayjude
We owned a 2012 Fitted with a Longranger 132 litre tank and that couldn't
be re calibrated.
Bit of a pain but once you know how many litres are left at half full it's not hard.
Better than 80 litre original.

AnswerID: 619915

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 23:34

Monday, Jul 02, 2018 at 23:34
Hayd
What the tank holds, std tank, and it's fuel use for trip computer reading is depends on the fuel rate of use, ie. The system know what has been delivered to the engine through the injectors. That concept is quite different to the fuel gauge reading which works a gauge via a float.

If the fuel computer isn't told of a larger capacity then it still works it's calculations on what is used v distance for the 80 litres.
The unrelated fuel gauge, if not calibrated to near actual level for the larger amount of fuel, will simply show full until the level has dropped to where the float normally begins to lower.
Two different systems concerned with the one fluid.
Calibrating the fuel use against tank size is an entirely different calibration to what the fuel level device requires. One is an electronic programme adjustment, one a physical/mechanical alteration.
AnswerID: 619919

Reply By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 06:55

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 06:55
Gday all,

Thanks everyone for the quick reply, still a bit unsure which way to go.
I think i will just check it out over a few tanks and go from there.
Safe travels everybody,

Cheers
Hayd.

AnswerID: 619921

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 13:09

Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 13:09
Hay, ignore everyone else, listen to Gazz and Hoyks...

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 892364

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 11:28

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 11:28
It can be re-calibrated. A few guys on newranger.net have done it.

http://www.newranger.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11014&p=121217
AnswerID: 619924

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 06:43

Friday, Jul 06, 2018 at 06:43
My LR tank has the built in water tank.
As such the gauge has no idea where full is as the water compartment prevents the float rising to the top of the fuel.

I drained the tank completely and refilled it with exactly 20 liters. Pulled out the fuel sender and bent the float so as to light the low fuel warning at this level.

At least I know that when the low fuel light is lit, I have some 100Km before that tanks runs dry.
AnswerID: 619970

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 14:16

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 14:16
As mentioned, perfectly normal for most vehicles and LRT's.

You will get used to it, and know pretty accurately what fuel load you have.
For example, with mine in the PK Ranger, I know when I'm driving blacktop or easy tracks, I get pretty much 40 - 45 used when it hits the exact full mark with the needle.
Other times it might be 360km to 380km on slower 4WD tracks.

The important thing is get to know your tank and gauge.
I know what I have left at full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and yellow light.

Enjoy the range capability . . . I am 11600km into a trip and using my LRT, 2nd sub tank in the tub, and one 20lt jerry, I pretty much got from Kunawarritji (on Wapet Rd / CSR well 33) in WA, to Alice Springs, and we did Sandy Blight Junction track too !!! :)
AnswerID: 620021

Follow Up By: Tezza4567 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 16:44

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 16:44
Hello Les, See you mentioned Sandy Blight Junction track, Travelling that road next month, any chance you can let me know waht the condition is like?
FollowupID: 892349

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 21:43

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 21:43
Easy drive, a few coros and usual remote track hazards, holes, washouts, etc, but very nice drive with some great camp locations among desert oak.
We had tyres at approx 28psi and this made for a comfy ride.
There are some shortcut tracks in the dunes areas, original tracks, and worth taking as the dunes are much more entertaining.
We took approx 2 days.
Be sure to Bundabiddy rockhole near the south end.
Also on the Grand Central Hwy to the east,
Lassiters Cave well worth a stop.
FollowupID: 892354

Reply By: Member - Hayjude (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 07:17

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 07:17
Gday everyone,
we have found a fellow here in town that does it.
We had it done on Saturday morning, all good.
Once again thanks to everybody who replied and offered their advice.

Cheers and safe travels.

Hayd & Jude

AnswerID: 620047

Sponsored Links