Advice for ‘Dual Fuel’ 60 series with 2F motor re: Morey’s & motor setups

Submitted: Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 19:03
ThreadID: 13696 Views:4157 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick one for the ‘Dual Fuel’ vehicles out there.

My good old betsy Tojo 60 series cruiser is a dual fuel breed & appears 2 be going strong (god bless her) I haven’t had her all that long, so I’m working away at setting her up & get her purring. She certainly is a little thirsty on the petrol as we all know (like me on a Friday night) so gas certainly saves a few pennies.
The owner before me had the Moreys upper cylinder lubricant on her but… it’s in a state of disrepair & I’m wondering whether it’s worth firing it back up again or just leave it? I’ve been assured that the valves are stainless steel ( is that what it is? ) & I always flush through the occasional leaded/unleaded (also to keep the carby lubed up). It’s an 84 model that Toyota said is fine on unleaded ( which it seems 2 run better on? ). It’s got 250k on the play school clock.

Also, within reason, I’m trying 2 get the old gal as fuel efficient as possible by doing a few small things like foam Unifilter, new 4 way Bosch spark plugs, Hiclone ( already fitted ), new Penrite oil all around. It’s got extractors & a 2.5 inch exhaust. Any other reasonably cost effective tips? That Finch fuel catalyst has gotta be all hype doesn’t it?

One last thing. I’ve heard that the Carby gets a little dry & sooty & therefore a little dirty after a while ( regardless of the occasional petrol flush ). You can apparently pull it apart & give it a clean every so often I hear. Anyone recommend this/ do this? Easy process?

I trust everyone is heading way out bush 4 the long w/e to run a muck? have a good one eh!

Cheers in advance

Ro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69 - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:54

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:54
We have a gas GQ Patrol and not had it long either, so i would be interested to hear replies. I have a gas head on the motor and 9.5mm leads. The more spark the better for gas. Have also replaced coil with a GT-40 for same reason. How big is your gas tank and how many k"s do you get?

The Brewman
AnswerID: 62855

Reply By: Brew69 - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:55

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:55
We have a gas GQ Patrol and not had it long either, so i would be interested to hear replies. I have a gas head on the motor and 9.5mm leads. The more spark the better for gas. Have also replaced coil with a GT-40 for same reason. How big is your gas tank and how many k"s do you get?

The Brewman
AnswerID: 62856

Reply By: Brew69 - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:56

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:56

The Brewman
AnswerID: 62857

Follow Up By: Brew69 - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:59

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:59
Wow, i only replied once and my message was posted 3 times lol. Why is it so????????

The Brewman
FollowupID: 324167

Follow Up By: Rowen - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 08:48

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 08:48
howdy Brewman.

um, i get about 67 litres into an ~80 litre tank & it gets me ~320km around the country roads of gippsland. Doesnt seem 2 bad.

I just keep hearing of different stories about dual fuel vehicles & what's happened & what 2 do & so keen 2 sort out a 'smart' setup for the 2F. To my knowledge, they are a strong motor & I'd imagine with a good setup, the gas can last a long time?

When u say 9.5mm leads, is that thicker than normal for the spark leads? & so the coil is bigger aswell ?

cheers for your reply mate,

avagr81.

Ro
FollowupID: 324200

Follow Up By: Brew69 - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 14:14

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 14:14
The coil just gives more spark than the standard one and the standard leads are 8mm from memory.9.5mm leads cost about $55 and worth the investment. I get 115 of lpg in and get 450 city/550 country. Also have 70 ulp and is good for 350 or so. The guy i got my car from said he used to have problems with valves until the gas head was fitted. Valve clearnaces nned to be done every 2 years or so. I just love being able to run a 4x4 at less than i did my tarago.

The Brewman
FollowupID: 324210

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 23:59

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 23:59
I had a 1984 troopie petrol & converted it to lpg. Burnt out the valves very quickly indeed even tho it was a very good conversion.
Afterwards had the head done for gas & 50thou was planed off to raise compression, & some porting.
Distrubtor had a cam with longer dwell I think & revamped advance &
timing maybe advanced too.After that it felt like a 6cyl sedan on the hills
but the rings collapsed at about 80,000 kms. Appears that motor with
only a 4sp box revved a bit & the soft rings were not up to the task, a not
uncommon problem I was told later.Shouldnt be so with your 2F but at 250,000
too much tuning may shorten its life.
AnswerID: 62864

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 00:00
I had a 1984 troopie petrol & converted it to lpg. Burnt out the valves very quickly indeed even tho it was a very good conversion.
Afterwards had the head done for gas & 50thou was planed off to raise compression, & some porting.
Distrubtor had a cam with longer dwell I think & revamped advance &
timing maybe advanced too.After that it felt like a 6cyl sedan on the hills
but the rings collapsed at about 80,000 kms. Appears that motor with
only a 4sp box revved a bit & the soft rings were not up to the task, a not
uncommon problem I was told later.Shouldnt be so with your 2F but at 250,000
too much tuning may shorten its life.
AnswerID: 62865

Reply By: Jimbo - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:14

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:14
LPG has a very high Octane rating, well over 100 and therefore requires a big fat spark to ignite it. Good quality leads and plugs are essential.

Jim.
AnswerID: 62875

Reply By: Rossco100series - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:35

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:35
Yes LPG octane is over 100 thus you can advance the timing to suit BUT remember if you go back on normal unleaded or super the timing will be to far advanced and thus the engine will ping its head off not good. S you may have to back the timing down again. There is a mob that make's an in cab timing adjustment kit for this purpose and I think it is marketed by Crane Pty Ltd ( the same mob that make's high performance parts ).

Rossco
AnswerID: 62877

Reply By: stocksy - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 20:45

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 20:45
Rowan,
AnswerID: 66195

Reply By: stocksy - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 21:12

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 21:12
Rowan,
I too have a fj 60 duel fuel, when I first bought it it would backfire on gas and at one stage blew the mixer in two!! I put a unifilter, snorkel and extractors to try and increase economy, unfortunately it is difficult they are heavy beasts! I would suggest the you have the carby reconditioned I used a company in Preston Melbourne called Muller & Jacka they did an excellent job. As I live outside of Melbourne I fitted the carby and took the fj60 to Muller & Jacka where they checked the fuel air ratio on both gas and petrol to ensure accurate mixture it now runs very good on both fuels., it costs about $250 but well worth it. Just a couple of points:
1/ make sure your timing is correct mine has a habit of wearing the rubbing block.
2/ make sure the valves are adjusted correctly.
3/ Drive at around 100 kmh this gives a good ecconomy I get around 15 lt per 100km on petrol and approx 19lt /100 on gas.
I would be careful putting a gt 40 or any other 12 volt coil on as the fj use a ballast resistor to drop the voltage down to approx 8.5 volts ( the ballast resistor is taken out of the circuit when starting so the coil gets a full 12 volt, then once the key is released the ballast is put back into the circuit ) I would think if you did take outthe ballast you me burn out points more regularly.
The next think I am looking at is electronic ignition, there is a product that replaces the points and can handle up to 16 volts
The only problem I have with duel fuel is that you need to run it on petrol or at leaast let it sit o/night with petrol in the carby, this will lubricate the accelerator pump leather cup if you do keep it lubricated it wears down and you will not be able to run on petrol ( a new pump plunger costs around $25 and are not that easy to get)
Good luck if you need any further info email me direct
Regards stocksy
astocks@ncable.net.au

PS my FJ has clocked 386,000km on the original motor, it has had the head recoed twice and does not burn oil!!
sorry about the previous response still getting the hang of this!!!
AnswerID: 66206

Sponsored Links