Rig Road condition

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 15:37
ThreadID: 136963 Views:540 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
Has anybody done the Simpson crossing;Dalhousie - Purnie Bore - Rig Road - Knolls Track - Poeppel Corner - Big Red - Birdsville in the last couple of weeks?
If so, what were the track conditions like?

With thanks
Trevor
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 17:12

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 17:12
Hi Trevor

Member Muzbry and I did the Simpson crossing west-to-east during the first week in June this year.

Our basic route was Mt Dare, Dalhousie, Rig Road, WAA Track, Knolls Track, French Line, Poeppel Corner, QAA Line, Big Red and on to Birdsville.

The tracks were in excellent condition and the traffic light until we hit the French Line at the intersection with Knolls Track. East of here the French Line was as busy as, with a lot of east-west traffic heading for the Finke Desert race. There were queues of vehicles at some dunes waiting their turn to cross over. Ch 10 on the UHF is a good idea.

Also, the eastern faces of the dunes were really chopped up, and much steeper than the western approaches. East-west traffic towing trailers seemed to be doing it pretty tough.

Eyre Creek was a dust bowl, with no indication that the flood in the Georgina earlier this year actually made it as far as the QAA LIne.

Have a good trip.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 620087

Reply By: Trevor - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 17:18
Thanks George
That's good to know. We are leaving Adelaide this Saturday and plan to leave Dalhousie Wednesday.
I guess the track will have changed a bit.
6 vehicles in the convoy.
Trevor
AnswerID: 620088

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 19:17

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 19:17
Trevor .

Crossed about 4 weeks ago West To East, did part of the Rig Rd got back on the French line via the Coulson track .
Personally wouldn't bother with the Rig Rd.
The Eastern side of the dunes were dug up by 6 clueless Porche Cayanne drivers and there support crew .
I Never get sick of Simpson crossings

Enjoy the trip .
AnswerID: 620091

Reply By: Member - JIM F4 - Friday, Jul 13, 2018 at 18:25

Friday, Jul 13, 2018 at 18:25
Thanks Trevor, We leave on Monday the 16th for the same crossing. School holidays could be busy. The French line will be the most travelled and the Rig road should be OK. Give a report at the end of July
AnswerID: 620144

Reply By: Julie S2 - Monday, Jul 16, 2018 at 09:51

Monday, Jul 16, 2018 at 09:51
Yes we did it recently. First part of QAA was damp and easy, but the dunes got harder as they were drier further in after Poeppel corner. The knolls is not on the map they give you from desert parks, so it seems less used. Still we kept on French line till we reached the Rig rd, which we used till we reached the intersection at Wonga Junction. All good as far as we were concerned. Not too correlated, although others were saying it was bad. We did have our tyres at 15 Psi for most of the desert in any case. This was a few weeks ago, so now things could be very different.
AnswerID: 620178

Popular Content