The VMS navigator

Submitted: Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 19:28
ThreadID: 137025 Views:3128 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all , to the technically aware and knowlegeable people, who use navigating systems, could you enlighten me of the benefits good bad or indifferent of the vms system that is being sold by the four wheel drive super store.
also what is the difference between the HEMMA system and the VMS 200 system. thankyou very much for your input
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 21:36

Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 21:36
I use Hema and EoTopo on a 10" Samsung tablet. Mate has a VMS system and it has been returned 3 times due to failures. It also seems a lot slower to use than my system
AnswerID: 620307

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 22:37

Monday, Jul 23, 2018 at 22:37
Like Ivan, I also use EoTopo on a 10" Samsung tablet.
As well as being an excellent navigator, the tablet also stores and displays my permits and other information such as WikiCamps.
With its fitted SIM card it receives my emails and can access the internet when within Telstra range.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892712

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 13:39

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 13:39
Hi Ivan, thank you for your input I have been just going through the tutorials for the Explore oz ,EO TOPO, I don't understand how the navigations system would work when using a tablet, and you don't a have access to sattelites for navigation, or net work coverage.
I am planning a trip up the Canning stock route for next year and I am looking at a navigation system as every one seems to think I need one and not rely on my paper maps that I have been used to using for the last fifty years.
The new tech blows me away and leaves me a bit intimidated, but if I am to get my head around this tech stuff I need to do it sooner rather than later, because I don't want to be learning new stuff while out in remote areas, and wind up getting hopelessly lost.
So Ivan , if you or anyone else can help to get me up to speed on which way to go plase , your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892731

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 13:42

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 13:42
Hi Alan,
Just a quick question , do you use any other navigation system apart from the Samsung???? with EOtopo
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892732

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 13:53

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 13:53
Hi Broodie H3,

I will leave the explanations and finer points to those that are more knowledgeable than me..

I use a Samsung tablet as well and find it works really well, you have to make sure it has a inbuilt GPS reciever and has ample memory, system and add on SD card.

Another absolute must is a suitable cradle/bracket that will hold the tablet securely and will hold it where it is easily seen and has a clear view of the sky.

I also have a cheaper Lenovo tablet ($100 from memory) and it works but I prefer the Samsung.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 892733

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 14:43

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 14:43
Hi Broodie,

My Samsung has an inbuilt GPS receiver so is in communication with satellites at all times. Other than that I carry paper maps which are more convenient for planning and provide backup. My tablet is a Samsung Tab 'A' S-Pen 10.1 inch, SM-P585Y, 2016 model, $448 (plus an SD card) from JB HiFi.

One big advantage of the digital mapping is that it shows your vehicle position on the map at all times. You know where you are and you can see the desired location approaching. Plus, from a safety point of view, if you turn-on 'tracking' the tablet distinctly colours the map track behind you, so that if you need to back-track you simply follow the track back and thus do not take a side track in error.

I do have another self-built GPS navigation gizmo on the dash. It numerically provides co-ordinates, time, speed, altitude, trip distance and several other vehicle data. These functions are also within OziExplorer on the tablet, but in particular the trip odometer is more useful as it can be pre-set to the event (track-junction etc) then counts down to zero, and shows expected time to end. This is much better than an odometer that counts 'up' where you need to remember the starting distance and subtract the elapsed. But all this is icing on the cake and in any case, I built it before I obtained the digital mapping system.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 892734

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 15:04

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 15:04
William, you make a very good point about a suitable mount for the tablet.

Fortunately for me, the Troopy came with an inbuilt cradle...... the passenger hand grip (otherwise known as the "Jesus Bar")

The tablet sits nicely in it and is secured by the clip visible at the top, which attaches with elastic shock cord. Simple and effective but apologies to the passenger now grabbing at anything as we lurch over dune crests. lol

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 892735

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 15:14
thank you gentlemen for your assistance, I have a great deal to learn
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892736

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 15:47
It's not too hard Broodie. Buy Ozzie Explorer Android and download it directly onto your tablet, then purchase EoTopo maps and load them onto your SD card using your computer. Insert the SD into the tablet, set the path file to the maps, and start using them.
It only gets a bit more complex if you want to employ track logging etc. But I don't bother. I want to know where I'm going. I can remember where I've been. lol

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 892738

Reply By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 17:16

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 17:16
I might start a new answer because sometimes the follow ups to the follow ups can be confusing.
I was a newbie GPS navigator not so long ago and was a bit overwhelmed by the tech and I found a good way to start was with Memory Map on a suitable GPS enabled tablet. In my case an iPad which I already owned so there was no hardware expense
It’s free, with a map that has all the remote tracks I have ever been on. You can log tracks and waypoints but it won’t tell you to run left at the windmill and tank in 500km ...
Play around with that and then decide whether you want to buy more maps such as Hema or delve deeper into the technical side of things.
A paper map for the big picture and the memory map app to tell me where I am at the moment works for me.
Good luck with it
AnswerID: 620325

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 13:04

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 13:04
Good morning fellow travelers,
al though there have been a lot of valuable suggestions and a new system thrown into the mix nobody appears to have answered the original Question for me .
can any one tell me the difference between the Hemma and the VMS 200 system????
as I know nothing of these navigation systems, except what the salesmen tell me, so users be gentle and let me know please.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892758

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018 at 20:07
Hi Broodie,
We developed our app ExplorOz Traveller specifically for people like you - who incidentally represent the proportion of our audience - people who want a no-fuss system that makes digital navigation as easy at it can be and with minimal cost and hassle.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 620327

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:41

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 10:41
Hi Michelle,
from what I have been reading and the tutorials that you have up for the eo topo which are very good I am leaning toward the explore oz system. I have been looking at the VMS system and it appears to use your system as its main mapping, or something very similar, and if that is the case, I like original so I shall do some more investigating.
from what I have read so far your system appears easy to learn which is a bonus for me as I am not all that tech savvy.
thank you for your input.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892753

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:34

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:34
Michelle, dumb question I know. I am absolutely hopeless with computers and go to jelly in a computer store. Can't even download an app. Is it possible to purchase a tablet with the whole thing set up and ready to go?
Keith
FollowupID: 892755

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:07

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:07
Sorry Keith no there isn't. Do you think you will use it? Take a look at the tutorials on the ExplorOz Traveller page on our website (follow the links from this post). It's certainly going to be the easiest to learn and use of all the options out there and everything you need comes from us so no mucking about. Contains all the POIs, maps, and navigation system - all developed in house by us and supported by us. A small Australian local family company so if you think you can cope - its a good choice. Perhaps you can get a friend or family member to help you with the purchase and setup?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892757

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 13:07

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2018 at 13:07
Thanks Michelle.
FollowupID: 892759

Sponsored Links