tablet Bracket

Submitted: Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 14:04
ThreadID: 137051 Views:5122 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Ladies and gentlemen,
I have now brought a Samsung galaxy so that I can run exploreoz traveller ap on it, now I own a ford ranger px mk2, so I now need some advice on how to mount it to the vehicle, what kind of brackets is everyone using and just to let you in on how we travel it is mainly off road and into some pretty rough country so any clue on ruggedness for the bracket would be helpful, and how you have them mounted would also be helpful.
thank you,
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 15:46

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 15:46
Broody, I only use the ipad in mine, and for that an Arkon does a great job.

For a tablet, I'd suggest one that either bolts to the floor and has a flexible or adjustable arm up to a tablet holder . . .

HD1VESA20 | Arkon 22 inch Heavy-Duty Car Seat Rail Mount

Or something like this . . .

TAB805 | Arkon Tablet Mount

A lot will depend on if you want it mounted at eye level or down a bit out of the way . . .
Eye level is safer if it doesn't obscure your view (this can be illegal too), becasue you can glance at it safer keeping peripheral vision on the surroundings.
AnswerID: 620405

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:31

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:31
Hi Les, thank you for the information, and the links it is greatly appreciated, as I had no idea where to start. thank you very much
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892831

Reply By: Gramps - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 16:00

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 16:00
I use RAM mounts. Choice of suction (double or triple units) or solid rail mounts etc.Check out blogs by The Landy or Mick O for other options.

Regards
AnswerID: 620406

Reply By: GarryR - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 16:48

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 16:48
we have an Ipad using a Ram mount with a stalk that is bolted using the seat mount bolt. We have done some rough surfaces no problem. You can view a selection of whats available on the Johnny Appleseed website. Not sure where you are, but they have an office in Melbourne, and will post items to you.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 620407

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:36

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:36
Hi Garry,
we are located in perth and from what I have been able to glisten from the like of JB hi fi, hardly normal, Retravision, and the goodguys we are better of buying on line as they all seem to carry limited stock and what the do have is more suitable for cars not 4x4's. your Ram mount has potential.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892832

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:51

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:51
Broodie H3

I use RAM Mounts for my iPad setup. Works well with little vibration if tightened properly. I was also surprised at the over all cost.

Link below is for an Perth Supplier in Belmont (online and shop front). I went in with an idea of what I wanted and the guys walked around the shelves pulling bits of the shelves and then test fitted it to my vehicle (to check for clearances etc). Walked out with the perfect solution.

When not in use, I take it out (one wheel type knob) and all that is left is the floor mounting block. I can put a list of the bits together that I used if it will help.

https://www.coast2coastmounts.com.au

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 892841

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:33

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:33
Hi Anthony,
thank you for the link it looks like I am off to the shops today.
thank you very much
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892845

Reply By: maurice b - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:18

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:18
I brought this Arkon HD wheelchair mount on ebay $49 and made my own stalk out of 50 x5 mm steel .I removed clamp and bottom angle No wobbles at all . Still under construction as this was today on my 105 series. Bracket gets bolted to the chair mount using a longer bolt in my case. All the production one's I have seen wobble, very annoying. .
AnswerID: 620408

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:41

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:41
Hi Maurice,
I hope you don't mind but that is what I am looking for, and I have the room to do exactly what you have done, thank you very much.
do you mind if I copy yours or is it subject to copy right already, lol
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892833

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 18:40

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 18:40
Yeah, I like that :)
Same Arkon holder as mine (takes up to regular ipad ?) so for a tablet, just check mount sizes before buying.

Arkon have mounts or all sizes, but I found the links on their website shocking when I looked before for you, maybe find some ebay sellers like Maurice did, probably get a better price too.

We did some pretty rough tracks in the recent 13,700km trip through SA, WA, NT, QLD, NSW, and the mount didn't give me any grief, so very pleased.
FollowupID: 892835

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:54

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 17:54
I use Wife or Daughter flexible mount. No need for suction cups or seat rail mounts these units are held in place using a standard seatbelt. Have tried this setup in the most extreme condition without a complaint and a bonus is they dont obstruct your vision.
AnswerID: 620410

Follow Up By: b1b - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 23:20

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 23:20
Gday Ivan, i must have a different model to you, my navigators do tend to wobble and obstruct my vision. Semi flexible but fairly rigid at the same time.
b1b
FollowupID: 892839

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:41

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:41
I use the wife too, and she is very reliable but she needs to know where she is going nowadays just so I don't lead her up the garden path anymore than necessary.
she likes to have a map of some description at all times
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892846

Reply By: maurice b - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 18:31

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 18:31
Use a structural angle bracket from Bunning's. This one is 50x100x 50x5mm cut to suit passenger seat mount .This gives you the correct adjustable swivel position for your bent/swisted to shape upright. Pictured on last post this mount holds my 8'' galaxy upright as well as my ipad3 . Mount comes also with smaller fingers for a small device
AnswerID: 620411

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 21:46

Monday, Jul 30, 2018 at 21:46
I've got one of these in our Prado - it is FANTASTIC! They are designed to mount laptops/etc for emergency services so are absolutely rock solid with only a tablet on it.

I've tried RAM windscreen mounts - they were ok but get in the way a lot with the Prado. I've tried a RAM "pole" that mounted to the seat base - wobbled like nothing else.

https://www.industrialevolution.com.au/store/ranger/

You then need to get a RAM tablet mount to put the actual tablet in.

I'd recommend getting the UHF mike holder as well - I didn't know it existed when I ordered mine.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620413

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 09:17

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 09:17
This is what I use...

You can read about it here.

A note of caution, ensure anything you use does not overlap with the area an airbag deploys into.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 620422

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:23

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:23
Baz - I found the Industrial Evolution mount after coming to look at your Tvan one day. I hesitated for a while before getting one but haven't looked back - it is rock solid.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 892844

Reply By: Member - TonyL2450 - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 at 19:55

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 at 19:55
Just a note to support those who suggested RAM product.
My Samsung is mounted with two ball joints extended up from the center consul with a small piece of checker plate inserted behind the consul wall.
The whole lot is detachable except for a ball knob on the consul.
If you need any pics or sizes please contact me happy to provide.
tonyl2450@gmail.com.
Enjoy the app it is GREAT
AnswerID: 620451

Reply By: Member - Adiona - Sunday, Aug 05, 2018 at 14:14

Sunday, Aug 05, 2018 at 14:14
Broodie,
Like many other respondents, I have a RAM mount with the tablet-holder for an ipad, but I use the triple cup suction system to the windscreen on my 100 Series Landcruiser.
About on the centre-line, and at a height so that the bottom of the ipad sits just high enough above the dash that it can’t vibrate against it when off-road.
In general driving it makes no difference to my visibility of the road, and I have it angled just enough to be able to glance at. We run HEMA offroad mapping on it, so that with a brightly-coloured snail-trail on the map you can see where you with just a glance, and not get distracted by looking downwards away from the windscreen.
The only time we had one of the suction cups pop off was when the car was parked in full sun for a few hours and I guess the air expansion forced one of the three cups to unstick from the windscreen, but the other two were still rock solid.
Hope that helps as another option.
100 Series towing Kedron CP5 Compact

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620529

Sponsored Links