hilux dual batteries

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 14:56
ThreadID: 13709 Views:2036 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys , I am wandering if anyone out there has succesfully mounted two 12 plate batteries under the bonnet of a hilux. Mine is a 89 2.4 petrol and have been told by local TJM dealer that there battery tray will only fit an 8 inch battery then a very thin 4 inch battery beside it which he didn't recomend at all as second batery is next to useless . As our vehicle is a single cab style side ute o ur only other option is to mount it in the tray and that is something I wanted to try and avoid if possible . If anyone can help with ideas or even better pics of succesful instalations that would be great.
Regards
Fatboy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 15:33

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 15:33
Fatboy,

I had a similar issue. I have heard of people modifying the air intake to allow for the second battery to fit on the passenger side. If power steering is fitted, the resevoir also required moving (this was the case for a 2.8 diesel). Due to the cost and the complexity, I settled to have the battery in the tray (dual cab). Having airconditioning also poses an issue due to the location of the aircon lines.

So far this setup hasn't caused me any trouble. I have just build shelving to fit around the battery box (still allowing for some air flow for ventilation)

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 62896

Reply By: andyg - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 16:19

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 16:19
Hi Fatboy,

I remember a mate putting a 2nd battery into his toyo surf diesel we had to change some brackets around cannot remember exactly I was to busy making the shelfs in the back . He picked up a kit from Pirana in Bayswater fitted it himeself not to bad for a male nurse liked to get his hands dirty.

Andyg.
AnswerID: 62898

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 17:29

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 17:29
If I can remember far enough back I fitted an NZ70 battery in an 84 Hilux up under the ute on a purpose built carrier. It swung down on a hinged bracket to check the fluid levels. A little awkward but got it out of the back. Couldn't see a way of getting a full size batt under the bonnat. Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 62902

Reply By: Yeah Mate - Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 03:07

Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 03:07
Fatboy,

I have a 86 2.2 Forerunner which I have mounted what use to be called 9 plate batteries (10”x 7” Marshall 520 cca). Involved cutting bottom out of filter housing re-positioning so engine side tube of housing was changed to different possie , re-welding. Cut off one mounting bracket re-pos. Cut down flex hose to suit. Re- mount housing further back on inner guard. Also a bit of a modification (with big hammer) to inner guard to accept the width of the battery tray. A little tricky to change element as housing opening is faces cab. If you’d like more info or pict’s pass on your e-mail.
AnswerID: 62950

Follow Up By: fatboy - Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 09:16

Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 09:16
Hi Yeah mate would love some more info and pics if possible my e-mail is tanpete1@bigpond.com
regards
Fatboy
FollowupID: 324291

Sponsored Links