Diesel heater problems

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 13:51
ThreadID: 137124 Views:5700 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have a DH in our caravan that will only run 10 min and stops. I noticed some small air bubbles in the online filter. Could that cause it thanks johno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 14:15

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 14:15
Its more likely the small mesh filter around the glow plug...you need to look at an exploded diagram of the parts....or Google the diagram if need be

Mine would only fire up for a very short time and immediately stop and that turned out to be the issue...its actually meant to be changed annually...but I never did until I had to

Its a very fiddly job to get to it...its about the dia of a small lead pencil.....its only a cm or so long and you have to make something like crochet hook or straightened fish hook to pit it inside and pull up

You also need either a special socket tool with a slot on the side so it can slide over the wires on the glow plug to extract it.

I actually replaced mine last winter hundreds of km's from anywhere (I had one with me in case of one day)…..I cut the glow plug wires and use a standard socket...then soldered them back.

So it can be done be prepared for a damn fiddly frustrating job extracting the mesh screen

When mine fired up when I finished, the caravan was hidden amongst a huge screen of white smoke from unburned diesel !
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620701

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 15:11

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 15:11
Johno59
If you haven't got a smoke problem as above BUT do have bubbles inthe fuel system I would definitely fix the airleak first. I have found diesel heaters DO NOT run on air as fuel.
If you have bubbles then you have air leaking into the fuel supply OR the tank is empty. Any bubbles will accumulate and become one long bubble and when it gets to the pump and beyond. ie, the burn chamber, air alone will not support combustion.
Make sure air CAN get into the fuel tank to allow the pump to draw fuel out of it, otherwise the pump will suck air from the weakest point of sealing.
From memory, your van is relatively new to you and if a new installation it appears you have a few installation faults.
AnswerID: 620702

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 18:34

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 18:34
Agree with RMD to a degree

....but note you are unlikely to have a smoke problem if its not burning...in my case the white smoke came after I fixed the issue and the first time alight it was a sight!...is simply could not sustain running.

As for bubbles...yes & no.....these heaters do self prime quite well...also note because they run on heat combusting the diesel fuel its not relying on the same principal of a diesel combustion engine...therefore if it reaches operating temperature a few bubbles is not always an issue....it will remain hot enough in the combustion chamber for it to overcome some air.

BUT by all means fix the air/bubble issue first.... it is by far the easiest course......if no joy then I suggest as posted as previously may be the issue
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893160

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:57

Thursday, Aug 16, 2018 at 06:57
As I said I my reply to his original post. My diesel heater was getting bubbles in the fuel line after the pump, and as rmd said “diesels don’t run on air” my heater had exactly the same symptoms as the op.

I contacted my caravan manufacturer and they posted me a new pump. Problem solved

Pretty simple when you think about it.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 893167

Reply By: Greg J1 - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 19:38

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 19:38
Are these the same problems you asked about on the 29 th of July. People go to the trouble of helping you but you just start another thread.

Read the answers from 29 th of July
AnswerID: 620705

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 20:46

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 20:46
I wondered the same Greg.
If it still has bubbles, then there is air in there and after 2 weeks have elapsed some investigation should have found the problem by now. He has to realise, simply typing on a forum is no substitute for actually doing work and fixing it.
FollowupID: 893162

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 20:52

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 20:52
Well obviously the last lot of answers didn't help at all...

...it now only runs for 10 mins!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 893163

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Aug 16, 2018 at 07:39

Thursday, Aug 16, 2018 at 07:39
Check voltage at the heater when starting and running, insufficient voltage will cause it to stop even when running as poor connections heat up under load.
But you still need to stop air entering the fuel system, you don't want bubbles anywhere.
FollowupID: 893169

Sponsored Links