Dogs

Submitted: Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 13:20
ThreadID: 137136 Views:4929 Replies:13 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Before I start my story, I love dogs, always had dogs. We travel with our cattle dog.

Last night we booked into a Western Queensland caravan park. This morning I woke early and headed off to the amenities.

I was walking on the bitumen road between the caravans when two little white mongrels ran out from a caravan dragging their leads. One was in front of me stopping me from walking away and the second one came around behind me and bit me 3 or 4 times on my calf muscle. The owner came and caught the one that was biting me but she couldn’t catch the other one. I ended up kicking it across the road and she finally caught it.

Apparently it was all my fault because I walked too close to their van and I was the type of man to kick a dog anyway.

Apart from the actual pain of getting bitten there is only a few puncture wounds on my leg. My tetanus shot is in date so I didn’t want to go to the doctor.

Surely a man can walk to the toilet in the morning without this hassle. Those of you who travel with these little white fluffy mongrels should keep them restrained, no good them being on a lead if you aren’t holding the other end.

If my cattle dog had been with me and he reacted to these little things he would be put down by now.

For everyone’s sake people need to be more responsible with their dogs.

Cheers Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Ken - Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 13:33

Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 13:33
Hi Greg, totally agree. We like dogs too but choose not to have one while travelling. We have been as far as Cooktown and down to Bargara and every park seems to have heaps of dogs unlike several years ago when you rarely saw one in a park. All the parks were very busy so I guess more chance of there being dogs.
We have not had any issues with them apart from the occasional yapping when close to them. People need to realise too that not everyone likes dogs and take more care.
Ken
AnswerID: 620735

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 14:28

Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 14:28
Greg
Make sure you have the number of their caravan rego and/or tow vehicle if the leg gives trouble, the doctors bill can be delivered. Also bring it to the park owner manager notice so they can ensure the owners complies with rules. It could be a small child next time who can't punt kick things with teeth.
AnswerID: 620739

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 15:55

Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 15:55
The owners need to be informed quite forcibly that is THEIR responsibility to control the actions of THEIR animals and they can be held accountable for any actions the animals perform. Not good enough from them
FollowupID: 893183

Reply By: BobR4 - Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 17:48

Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 17:48
Surely the park management has some responsibility here too! If I'm invited onto another's property, surely there is an implication of duty of care toward me. Otherwise we are all paying for public liability insurance which would be superfluous!
The park issues an invitation to enter their property when they accept our fees.
Or am I naive?
AnswerID: 620745

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 07:51

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 07:51
Pretty sure public liability covers you even if you are there illegally, Once you pay your fees you are a guest not a member of the public but still very much covered....or should be.
FollowupID: 893188

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 19:56

Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 19:56
Hi Greg

All responsible dog owners must have full control over their pets.

In this case they did not and it should be reported to both the Caravan Park and the local Council/Shire where you are staying.

We are on the road at the moment and have both our our kids with us (Rusty our Kelpie and Oscar our Red Heeler) and we are well aware of the responsibilities of traveling with pets.

Our boys have had so much attention from other dog owners who left their pets home. The best one yet was when Rusty was sitting down and 2 young girls of about 10 were walking past. Fiona was in the camper and the girls could not see her.

The girls said “there is a dog” and quietly walked up to him. They started patting him and in return they were licked to death. The only time he barked was when they left, as he did not want them to leave. Yes both of our dogs were on short restraining leads and were under full control by us at all times.

It is the same as when we take them for walks, other people’s unrestrained dogs will run up and start barking at them. I yell at the dogs that do this and then you get that weird look from the owners.

So yes, report them and next time take your heeler with you.

All the best and hope you have no problems with your leg.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620747

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 21:00

Friday, Aug 17, 2018 at 21:00
Did you report the incident to the caravan park proprietor Greg. Firstly they need to be informed in case you do need medical attention and if bad, could have a claim against their liability insurance. Secondly they need to make sure the owners are informed of the need to keep their dogs under control at all times.

Watch for signs of infection, which I hope will not occur, but can easily happen from dog's teeth.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 620749

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 08:14

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 08:14
I would have kicked the owner.
AnswerID: 620753

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 09:59

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 09:59
Then sadly you would be the one charged with assault and all the crap that ensues.
FollowupID: 893195

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 13:13

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 13:13
Sadly,
I have to agree with TTTSA. but couldn't get my "like" to work.
We adore dogs but never took them with us to places that we didn't have too.
We used to have parents who'd baby sit them.
Now we have none of either as they've all left this world in due course.

Unless they're kept on a leash in certain areas & supervised it can be harmful to the dog too.
We haven't adopted any more dogs because we travel more now.
We have that choice luckily, some don't but this owner is in the wrong by not having the leashes secured, plus other things.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
We hope your leg goes O.K.
FollowupID: 893200

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 13:29

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 13:29
It's the thought that counts...
FollowupID: 893201

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 17:43

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 17:43
We pulled into the caravan park at Julia Creek & just after we had put up the awning & pulled out the kitchen, a black dog came & crapped right beside the kitchen. I put him on a lead & took him up to the office & asked who owns that dog & the reply? “We do”. They also didn’t seem to care what had happened, so you really can’t win.

AnswerID: 620765

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 18:02

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 18:02
Should have grabbed a shovel and scooped up the dog crap and dumped it at the front door of reception.
FollowupID: 893204

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 21:43

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 21:43
I had a new dog turd on my front lawn every morning and again in the evening.

I changed the angle of the security camera that films my driveway. Caught the owner stopping and waiting for his dog to crap. I collected over a weeks worth of dog crap and stored it in a bag.

I followed them after one of their attacks to find out where they lived and went back and left it in their letter box with a note "I think your dog accidentally dropped these on my front lawn - I thought he might want them back!"

Knock on the door - 2 coppers with a stinky bag of dog turd.

After watching the video, they took it back to the owner of the dog. Not before we had a jolly good laugh at my revenge.

Don't get mad, get even!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 893206

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 22:41

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 22:41
The old trick used to be to make sure the offending dog owners were home, wrap said barker’s eggs loosely in newspaper & place it on the front step, set fire to it & then knock on the front door & make a hasty retreat.
FollowupID: 893207

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Aug 19, 2018 at 07:03

Sunday, Aug 19, 2018 at 07:03
Magistrate to Mister Shaker.

Mr Shaker, do you understand the charge of arson, as it maybe in your best interest if you retain the services of a legal representative. I hope you realise that arson brings a penalty of up to 15 yrs in jail.

FollowupID: 893209

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Aug 19, 2018 at 21:20

Sunday, Aug 19, 2018 at 21:20
I had a similar conversation with the two coppers who came a knocking.

We talked about the "fiery bag of poo" but that would have left me open to a "Criminal damage by fire" charge.

I explained to them that I was simply returning the property the owner of the pooch had lost, I was infact doing the owner a favour. It also saved him from a littering ticket.

They loved my resolution and couldn't wait to take the bag of crap back to its rightful owner. I would've liked to have seen his face.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 893218

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 07:42

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 07:42
Interesting that the police actually knew who to come and see about it, the owner must have told him where the dog craps every day.
FollowupID: 893224

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:46

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:46
What can I say...

People who think they can get away with this type of shit aren't usually the brightest types!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 893228

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 19:04

Saturday, Aug 18, 2018 at 19:04
I would have kicked it...and kicked it again....and if it had bitten me....would have kicked it again.

I don't get where an owner of a dog could think it was anybodies fault but their own that THEIR dog attacked another human being ????

The my little fido wouldn't hurt a flea doesn't cut it....
AnswerID: 620766

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 00:06

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 00:06
I don't know anything about QLD dog laws - but in W.A., allowing your dog to bite an innocent party can cost you up to $20,000 in fines - plus any lawsuit that follows from the injured party, claiming compensation for injury, lost earnings, etc, etc.

W.A. Dog Control Laws

The general public are entitled to walk in public areas without threat of being attacked by dogs - many of whom are aggressive and frightening.

The problem is not as much with the dogs - it's lazy, uncaring owners, who shirk their responsibilities.
I no longer own any dogs, but the missus and I often take care of the stepdaughters two little dogs when she works away.

It's outright annoying when you see dog owners walking dogs in public with no leash (a $200 offence, straight up) - letting their dogs crap, and then walking away from the turds without even bothering to pick it up (also an offence - the penalty varies) - and owning dogs, but failing to care for them, by exercising them.

The number of dogs we come across in properties that are obviously rarely exercised, and that need training, is staggering.
Some people should just not be allowed to own animals.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 620773

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 08:03

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 08:03
Yep, those little terriors have short dog syndrome....but their owners in this instance at the very least should have appologised and offered to pay for a drs visit.
AnswerID: 620776

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:47

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 09:47
if it bit me, it would have been put down by now.

The caravan park also has some responsibility here as they allowed the dog in. Hope they have good insurance.
AnswerID: 620779

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 21:00

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 21:00
Crap, responsibility must lie solely with the dog owner. If someone steals something from your caravan in a park is the park responsible?

If the park manager wasn't negligent what have they done wrong?
FollowupID: 893237

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 06:22

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 06:22
It falls under 'duty of care'
FollowupID: 893238

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 09:12

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 09:12
Duty of care is just a term.

My brother thought he was protecting people against harm on his property by erecting a 8 foot high front fence and gate but a young woman broke her leg whilst attempting to climb over the fence, she won the action against his public risk insurer because she hit the ground and caused the damage on his side of the fence.

How far do you have to go to adequately fulfil your "duty of care" ?
FollowupID: 893241

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 13:27

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 13:27
Serves him right for not having mattresses on the ground all along his side of the fence....
FollowupID: 893246

Reply By: Greg J1 - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:49

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:49
Hi, thanks for all the replies. Been at a family do all weekend with hardly any mobile service.

I reported it to the caravan park manager, he was very concerned. The park rules state that dogs have to be on a lead (restrained) at all times. He said and I totally agree that he tells people that rule, but ole 72 year old Mabel books in with her toilet brush dogs and just totally disobeys the rule. He can’t go and check every dog owner every five minutes. Short of banning dogs from the park there will always be people who think the rules don’t apply to them. He is between a rock and a hard place and I can see his point of view.

Don’t get me wrong, I was very p***** off by what happened. But I can’t blame the park itself. Doesn’t matter where you go some people just don’t restrain dogs. I see it a lot.

I have the people’s rego, names, address and phone number. They left the park pretty smartly after this happened.

Cheers Greg

AnswerID: 620780

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 16:56

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 16:56
The Stuart Caravan Park in Alice Springs used to be Pet Friendly. They had a couple of issues similar to what was described by the OP. They are no longer Pet Friendly. The minority of dog owners who do not do the right thing will spoil it for the majority who do.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620799

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 17:50

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 17:50
That’s exactly right. I in no way hold the caravan park responsible for this incident. Forget all the public liability insurance talk. He explains the rules to the people who book in and he takes it in good faith they will abide by the rules.

It’s the same thing in just about every type of people you could name. The bad few make it hard for the honest ones.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 893253

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 14:01

Monday, Sep 03, 2018 at 14:01
I've had 3 Shepherds over 30 odd years and never go away without my dog. Yes there are places I cannot go but that's the sacrifice and personal choice I am prepared to make which is more than compensated for by the pleasure I get from having my 4-legged family member and mate with me. I follow all the rules and do my best to ensure my dog is not a nuisance to anyone else or their dogs. There have been instances I can recall where others after 3 or 4 days have said to me: "Oh gee, I didn't even know you had a dog here". This story really saddens me because the way those two dogs working in tandem, 'bailed you up', the owner would be well aware of there temperament and tendency to behave aggressively.
As much as I like dogs maybe the owner should leave them unrestrained to wander in an area where 1080 baits have been laid. It is owners like that who 'truck' it up for all the responsible people who like to travel with their dog
FollowupID: 893490

Sponsored Links