Adelaide to Perth

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 15:36
ThreadID: 137151 Views:3333 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, my wife and I are doing a return trip to Perth to visit our daughter next month from Melbourne. (well from Tassie but we won't be driving the ocean part). We have done it before about 18 years ago and have experience with road trips around the outback. We have a 100 series cruiser with a roof top camper and are fully self contained re food, refrigeration etc. We have allowed enough time to do some side trips there and return, e.g. we will travel the silo way through NW Vic and probably look at going to Cape Arid NP. We have looked at a lot of tourist type brochures to plan our trip, my question today from expert travellers is- what's on your don't miss it list? Unfortunately it's back to work for us, not an open ended journey.
Thanks in advance
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 16:26

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 16:26
Hi mac3, if you are interested, you can complete the worlds longest golf course, Nullarbor Links. It starts in Kalgoorlie, & finishes in Ceduna. You can do it in reverse, just go to the Infomation Centre in Ceduna to pay your “green fees” and pick up a score card. Basically there is a golf hole or two in various places along the Eyre Highway located at roadhouses. All you need is a putter, 3 Iron, 7 iron, driver & sand wedge. A couple of the holes are actually on proper Golf Courses, Ceduna, Norseman, & Kalgoorlie, other than those they are basically just a synthetic tee & green, with a heap of rough in between.Check it out on line at www.nullarborlinks.com

Windmills at Penong

The Great Australian Bite

Open Cut Gold Mine at Kalgoorlie

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620796

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 18:27

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 18:27
If you have some extra days, and don’t mind a bit of track / beach driving, check out Nuytsland Reserve, it’s magnificent in places.

We went south at Cocklebiddy, to Twyligh Cove and al Ng he inland track to Baxter cliffs.
But I would recommend going to Caiguna and gbaout den there to Baxter cliffs, the tracks improve greatly.
Baxter memorial, on to Baxter cliff lookout, a very great I’d camp where the track from Twylight intersects, at approx 32°27'37.6"S, 125°32'05.5"E

Note John Baxter memorial is incorrectly marked on some maps, it is actually at 32°28'13.6"S, 125°36'58.7"E

Continuing through the reserve approx sww, you come to some nice lookouts then hit Bulbunya dunes, the largest in the Southern Hemisphere !!

You can access them from the beach (we did this) and approx 50km of varying beaches towards Pt Lorenzen, OR better if solo, take the inland tracks inside Bilbunya, I’m sure there’d be access from behind too for a look.

Israelite Bay is another highlight, with pristine coast and white sands, jetty ruins, old telegraph station, and various buildings to explore carefully.

From there the drive goes west out to Fisheries Rd that takes you into Esperance.

Good mapping will have all the tracks and info you would need.

Enjoy.
AnswerID: 620801

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 19:19

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 19:19
If staying a night or two in Esperance, treat yourself to a marvellous feed at Big Bob's Takeaway, on Pink Lake Road.

A good bloke, just havin' a go!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893296

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 08:33

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 08:33
Be Aware that quarantine is taken very seriously at the WA border. Not only fruit and veg but honey and nuts as well. Do your homework before you get there or you could lose a lot of your shopping.

I love the trip across to Perth and I am sure you will enjoy the adventure also. Don't rush.

Alan
AnswerID: 620812

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:22

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 12:22
Eucla is just over the Border from the Quarantine Station, so what they take, you can replenish there. Frozen veg is OK, just fresh fruit & veg, Honey & nuts.

Also, if you cross into S.A. at Renmark, there is a Quarantine Station at the Vic./S.A. Border, same rules apply.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 893263

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 17:41

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 17:41
Good point Allan.
We had little F&V on board as planned for the border crossing, but expected to be able to get SOME supplies at Eucla, Madura, or Cocklebiddy.
No stores in those places as such, but if you ask nicely at the Madura motel, and the can spare some basic veggies, they don’t charge much for some spuds and carrots.
Norseman is the first town on Hwy 1 after the border that has released able supplies.
FollowupID: 893272

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 02:55

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 02:55
Alan, it's a two-way street - the checkpoint just west of Ceduna are even worse than the westbound at the WA border.

We had a WA banana - which SA doesn't produce - and pulled up short of the checkpoint. The guy approached our vehicle and a discussion ensued. He pointed out that we couldn't bring the banana past, so we decide we'd eat it there and then. He physically seized it.
FollowupID: 893276

Follow Up By: Member - Charlie B2 - Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 22:28

Friday, Aug 24, 2018 at 22:28
David (mac3) and Alan H,

Haven't been that way for a few years, but on our last trip across, the WA quarantine guys were extremely diligent. If I remember correctly, in addition to the items mentioned, they specifically inquired about commercial waxed-cardboard banana boxes and hessian potato sacks, which some people, even to this day :-), carry as a lightweight and handy means of debogging a vehicle.

If the situation has changed, I'm happy to stand corrected.

Regards,
FollowupID: 893326

Reply By: mac3 - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:24

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:24
Thanks all, will digest each one and enjoy our trip.
David
AnswerID: 620839

Reply By: b1b - Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:46

Thursday, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:46
Wadlata Outback Centre in Port Augusta and the Arid Lands Garden just up the highway from Port Augusta. Two places i would go back and have a other look.
b1b
AnswerID: 620840

Sponsored Links