Dual fuel GQ...worth it?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1372 Views:1937 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I drive a petrol (4.2L) GQ shorty. Am toying with the idea of putting it on gas (as I have had to remortgage the house to pay for mu last fill up!!). I would like to know what you guys think about the dual fuel option. What is the approx cost of the procedure? How does it effect performance? What sort of range would I get? And the big question...Is it worth the $$?
Any comments would be appreciated as this is a bit of a grey area for me.

Cheers
Grazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CLIVE BLAKELY - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
My GQ is on gas and provides about 13 mpg in this mode.
Performance is about 90% that of petrol,with this consumption it equates
to 22 plus Mpg with its lower price.
Having owned a diesel GQ I find the running costs similar.
The downside is the lack of outlets for LPG in remote areas,you need a large supplementary petrol tank for outback runs. As you allready own the vehicle I think the gas is worthwhile for economy improvement.
As you will see by searching the archives little can be done to improve economy on this model other than gas or a trade in to a diesel.
The natural breathing Diesel is a slug,so if you like the shorty performance install the gas.

AnswerID: 4486

Reply By: Jason - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
Grazza,
l also have the same vehicle on duel fuel and have found it trouble free, dont know the cost for installation as l bought it on gas.. Get about 100kms per 25 litres of fuel, compared to 400kms to 100litres of gas .
You need to do the sums and work out if putting your vehicle on gas will save you dollars in the long run.
Notice little loss in power in day to day driving, but you notice the difference when towing.

Regards

Jason
AnswerID: 4491

Reply By: Steve R - Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00
Hey Grazza I looked at gas for my disco V8 , it wasnt worth it i do around 15-20000 kms per year {in W.A prices 55 cpl} and it would cost me $2400 to install and i would save $550 per year. Also taking into account you will get 27% less distance per litre of gas than petrol look right into it. Try looking up www.kleenheat.com.au ? i think and they have a estimater guide thingy good luck . Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 4513

Sponsored Links