Wilbinga

Submitted: Friday, Sep 14, 2018 at 09:45
ThreadID: 137250 Views:2919 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone been to Wilbinga (dunes north of Perth) recently who can confirm current access and camping regulations? Always controversial...just checking if anthing new officially that we may have missed..
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 21:54

Saturday, Sep 15, 2018 at 21:54
Hi Michelle.
I noticed that no one responded to your post as I was interested myself in the current status of Wilbinga. As far as I'm aware, the access from the South is now closed, however access from the North is still open. Maybe someone could enlighten us on the current situation.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 621236

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Sep 17, 2018 at 13:30

Monday, Sep 17, 2018 at 13:30
I've dug around a bit, and seems it is now an unmanaged reserve owned by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) and and they do not currently support camping in this area. I have not recently seen the signs but apparently no camping signs are in place. It appears that 4WDrivers are permitted to use the access tracks to enjoy the dunes but no camping.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893780

Reply By: Member - BindoonBlu (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018 at 15:06

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018 at 15:06
Michelle when I was working for LG in that area the only access was from Indian Ocean Drive near Military rd. The area is crown land vested with the DBCA to manage. There are signs for no camping but there are no DBCA rangers patrolling the area and generally they dont seem to care about campers. On good weekends and holidays there are 100's of 4wd in the area making it possibly a bit dangerous with the Boofheads.
LG Rangers dont patrol the area as it, from their point of view, private property and up to the owner DBCA to manage.
The amount of rubbish taken out of there regularly indicates how well the area is treated by the Boofheads society
AnswerID: 621279

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018 at 15:47

Tuesday, Sep 18, 2018 at 15:47
There was a big clean up a few weeks ago actually. I'm aware that lots of people camp there but I did want to ensure that the legalities of this are clear. The question came up again recently. There's things you do, and things you say you do - everyone can see your conversations on FB, Forums etc.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893795

Reply By: Member - BindoonBlu (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:42

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:42
Michelle there is a group calling themselves the Wilbinga Shacks Crew http://www.wilbingashackscrew.com.au/ who work with DBCA as I believe one of the members is an officer in DBCA. They arrange the cleanups etc in the area and try to maintain some semblance of order in there but the huge number of 4wd drives that enter the area make it very difficult. It should be noted that ALL land 7kms south of Moore River up to Moore river is private property that regularly has fences trashed by the feral 4wd people and livestock escape from the property.
AnswerID: 621290

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 19, 2018 at 12:05

Wednesday, Sep 19, 2018 at 12:05
Fences trashed? That is disgraceful behaviour. I didn't know this was happening, but am very disappointed to hear this.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 893799

Sponsored Links