5le chip

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:47
ThreadID: 137454 Views:3502 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys as most 5le lux owners i would love a little more power while driving hills , however being on my p’s i don’t have the option to just chuck a turbo in the old girl, as far as I know I’m only allowed factory turbo .

I’ve been doing some research and it seems dp chip have designed a module suited to the 5le engine, which makes sense as it’s electronically injected. They claim a power increase from 71kw to 86kw.

I’m only a newbie to this stuff and don’t want a race car , only looking for that little bit more power uphills

Do you guys think this is a logical and viable solution ? Should I get an exhaust and extractors aswell or maybe before ? Snorkel ?

Thank you heaps !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:32

Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:32
Best you check about the turbo aspect, I can't see any difference between fitting a turbo and a factory one std on the vehicle.

They crack pistons quite easily if using the turbo boost above a small amount.

If you get a turbo anything then it won't use extractors at all.
Unless the engine is constipated with the current exhaust a much larger one won't do a lot. A modest increase in size may be of benefit. Many don't help much but the increase in noise satisfies some human desires. Many exhausts are overkill for size of engine. ie a 3" exhaust on V8 Landcruiser which has a effectively two 4 cylinder engines of a bit over 2 litre. No way does a 2.25L engine use 3" outflow unless it revs to around 10,000rpm.

Providing a positive airflow into the airbox will help unduction of fresh air, a snorkel may or may not improve that. Unless the intake of the snorkel enables more air pressure in the intake it is likely to slow down the intake flow pressure. At low speed there will be not much snorkel intake pressure anyway, especially driving up hills and so the idea of it is lost. AN electric switchable fan inside the intake airstream to assist intake when needed would do far more. Much modification to intake is required to use this though so fan can increase intake pressure delivery.
The DP chip may do something but unless you have sufficient air going into the engine then the additional fuel the chip provides is wasted, because it can't burn it well at all. Be very careful about overfuelling a Hilux, the resulting heat will shorten engine life if it happens.
AnswerID: 622068

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:38

Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 12:38
At legal speeds there is no way to have a positive pressure in your intake , without a turbo or supercharger .
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 894692

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 13:29

Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 13:29
"Best you check about the turbo aspect, I can't see any difference between fitting a turbo and a factory one std on the vehicle."

RMD, I don't know if you picked up[ on it in Callums opening post, but beyond the mechanical issues associated with installing an after market turbo, there are regulatory restrictions for certain P platers. I don't know if the rules are consistent nationally, but I think Callum is aware of the restriction in his state.

In NSW, guidance on Prohibited Vehicles for P1 and P2 drivers can be found here. Para 2 in that link seems to apply. If you go to the list of Significant Modification in that para (link), then Example 2 under Engine seems to rule out an after market turbo for him.

So Callum has to consider other modification options but in any case Example 2 indicates that he cannot increase the original power output by more than 20% if he wants to stay legal. Not in NSW anyway.

Callum, that claimed power increase from 71 to 86kW is 15kW, which is 21%. Technically you can't do that, but I don't know how hard the authorities look.. And I reckon there's a good chance that if you put it on a Dyno you'd get less than that which might make you legal.

Check with your local authorities.


Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 894694

Sponsored Links