coopertyres

Submitted: Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1375 Views:2340 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 80 series cruiser base deisel and are going through the mill on a set of all round tyres. the truck is not used as a show pony but a 4wd . My main off road work is heavy sand dirt roads and the inland trips each year corner country simpson desert ect . I have had 265/75/16 hankooks 275/ 75/16 grandtreks ,750/16 road grippers and 750/16 toyo hyper radials, I have found the skinny tyres do the job better the fats off road . have anyone tested cooper S.T. 235/85/16 on split rim. ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE GOOD.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
Larry, I don't have that exact size tyre or wheel type. I am running 31/10.50R15 on tubeless and from a tyre point of view, am very happy with their performance. On road they hold the blacktop rather well, even in the wet. Offroad they are fantastic. I know some people have complained of the noise factor, but I drive a 2.8 Diesel Hilux and tyre noise can hardly be heard over the engine. I know it doesn't answer you question exactly, but thought i'd throw in my experience with the ST's. cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 4495

Follow Up By: Larry - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
THANKS anyway Sam I know anyone tyre will not cover all off road driving back in the early days I even tried a set of trojan army jeep service tyres. there still in the shed great for mud noise like you wouldnt beleave on the black top , thanks Sam
FollowupID: 1925

Reply By: Andrew D - Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00
I have Cooper ST's also and I've done about 15000km on them and although my tyre experience is limited with different brands, I'd have to give them the Thumbs up. Just watch where you buy them if you're interested in the warrantee factor 'cos you have to return them to the place of purchase for a balance and rotate every 10000km.
AnswerID: 4505

Reply By: Kezza - Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 29, 2002 at 00:00
Check out the new BFG MT KMs seem to be the best Ive used so far - indestructable wear well and leave a lot of harder compound tyres for dead in the wet.
kezza
a USA review I foundhttp://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/bfgmtkm/index.asp

- interesting but ignore his pressure reccommendations 35psi+ for the cruiser.
AnswerID: 4511

Reply By: Larry- Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Andrew and Kezza for your comments so far I have not heard anything bad about coopers or b,f,gs tyres they both rate high as all round tyres full blood Mud terrains dont realy suit my driving most of the time I would be in sand when the front diff is locked and if it ever rains in north west vic. Some times I do get to drive in mud . but very rare the trips to the high country dont happen that much anymore, most of my big trips are up north
AnswerID: 4518

Reply By: Tony- Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Larry, I have an 80 STD (2'' suspension lift, steel bull bar and winch, dual batts etc) with Cooper ST 235/85LT x 16 on split rims. These replaced Dunlop Road Grippers 750 x 16. In my opion, of these two tyres - go with the Coopers! Noise levels are similar with perhaps the Coopers taking the edge here. Tyre life is all Copper. I have done nearly 25k on the Coopers and I reckon I've got at least 40k left. The Dunlops I only got about 45k total. I can't tell you how well they perform in mud as it hasn't really rained near here for 18 months. I've been a bit laxed in rotating the tyres and the front are now showing a bit of 'heel and toe' - not bad after 20k, Dunlops showed after 10k - so I'll rotate them soon. Wet road grip (sealed road) is brilliant! (for this class of tyre). So much better than the Road Grippers. I think the 235/85 are ever so slightly taller than the Dunlops, a bonus with a turbo. The Coopers don't seem to chip as badly as the Dunlops but they have a habit of small stones catching in the tread which, on a sealed road, can drive you crazy with the 'click...click... click'. Simply enough to stop and flick the stone out with a key or screw driver. I have'nt had a puncture with them yet although this is probably more like good luck. Not really sure about tyre pressure with these. The Toyo manual reccomendations are much too firm and the dealer where I bought them wasn't sure either (says a lot for a dealer!) I'm still experimenting with pressure between 32 - 36lbs. The Coopers were a bit more expensive but it pays to shop around. I have an off-road trailer will the same rims, so I will bargain on buying 8 tyres next time (5 for the car and 3 for the trailer), hopefully get a better price plus able to rotate the most tread to the car. I think I've covered it all. Good luck with whatever you choose.
AnswerID: 4520

Reply By: Steve Mc Namara - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Larry after 4 sets of tyres on my GU patrol, most only lasting 28,000- 30,000Ks the last set Cooper A/T,s lasted 32,000 which included 16,000ks tripping thru the Kimberley the Gunbarrel, etc, etc,with the trusty Track Trailer in tow definetly knocked them around, upon our return home and a visit to the local tyre dealer who sold me the Coopers we were given a new set of ST,s to try out for half price & after 18,000Ks I can give them the thumbs up no chipping like the A/T,s , great grip, wear rate is great the only downside is they are slighty noisey on the bitueum. So after spending thousands on tyres Ive finally found a good set. As the patrol is not nursed everywhere it goes including lot of high speed dirt road stuff, trailer on or off. Just rotate them every 10,000 & you,ll be right . Don't go too high with tyre pressues I run 28f & 32r no trailer- 30f-38-40r with trailer Tyre size is 265/75x16 Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 4523

Reply By: LARRY - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the reply Tony and Steve so far the news is all good the local cooper dealer tells me the S,T,s have a anti chip compound in them to make them last on the stoney outback roads sound like from your trips this must be true , the bottom line is you get what you pay for. Looks like I will be off to the dealer in the near future. And have another set of tyres sitting in the shed . the toyo,s that is . a great road and all round tyre but lets me down in the tuff stuff THANKS AGAIN.
AnswerID: 4525

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
As you probably know, we also run Cooper STs and are very happy with them, although the Cooper rep is recommending that for our style of travel we should try the STTs. Sounds like we drive similar terrain. Either way, make absolute sure you buy the 10ply not the 8ply. We wouldn't normally have considered the STT as they look more like a muddy but we are being convinced to try them. We were trying to sort out a set of STTs to compare with STs for the trip we just did but couldn't arrange it in time. The main difference I am told is the STTS don't have the slit in the tread like the STs. The slit (can't remember the correct term... pliff?) is to draw water away, so its really a wet road/bitumen thing. Problem is this slit accelerates pitting of the tyre when doing heavy fast offroad dirt driving (eg. gunbarrel, tanami, gibb river rd) and we have certainly seen this on our tyres. They do last extremely well on the sand, but like all sand driving with lower tyre pressures they wear on the edges. One thing, we have also observed that split rims seem to run skinnie better than fats but with tubless in the 80 were are happy with the fats. The 80 seems to handle the wider tyre better. We're not very brand conscious - just wear conscious. Coopers have not sponsored us, so this is unbiased I assure you. Tyres are just so expensive and they rarely last as long as you would like, so its wise to ask around.
AnswerID: 4622

Follow Up By: Member - Allyn - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Good info Michelle,
I am currently running BFG A/T's on my 80 series and while I am basically happy with them having twice traversed GRR with little or no damage, I have been contemplating a move to STT's due to the pitting you described. My biggest problem is the amount of bitumen I must cover to get anywhere (Pilbara based) but when I get there I need a tyre that will handle everything I can dish up to it. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try STT's but if you fit them first I would be interested in hearing your opinion.
FollowupID: 1975

Reply By: LARRY - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the reply michelle I just received a information pack from Exclusive tyre distributors Moorooka today Coopers do sound very impressive and I wiil be buying a set on the next trip to town 235/85/16,s. I didnt even give 10 ply a thought as I have only ever run 8 ply but will take your advise and buy tens. Looking at the cooper info pack the STT,S look very much of a mud pattern and would maybe be a bit noisey on the black top . I will buy the ST,S as most of my driving is sand . I also look forward to a reply some time as to how the STT,S go thanks again Larry.
AnswerID: 4656

Sponsored Links