Big Bash 2019

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 01, 2018 at 15:06
ThreadID: 137511 Views:3239 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just received an email from the organisers that the BigBash dates have changed to 16-18 July 2019.
I'm doing a Simpson Desert trip next year close to those dates and have now changed my timing to avoid the BigBash by at least a week
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 08:01

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 08:01
Oh yeah, the annual Locust plague. Avoid the region at all costs.
AnswerID: 622398

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 09:33

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 09:33
Not my cup of tea either, but It's actually a nice income earner for surrounding country town's as that swarm of people make thier way to the event. I spoke to the lady running the Thargomindah servo days after this year's bash had ended, and she was blown away by how much fuel (and I assume food) they had sold the previous few weeks, it was much more then they expected to sell apparently....she said they'd be better prepared for next year (was also school holiday period aswell mind you, so not just bash traffic). The bash is not my cup of tea, but is a needed money spinner for some....hanging out there in a crowd of thousands versus us sitting a top Big Red watching the sunset over The Simpson, alone with just one other family we were travelling with....i know what I prefer.
FollowupID: 895260

Follow Up By: KevinE - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 10:47

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 10:47
I like the new camp kitchen at the caravan park, it's a cracker. But I got to use it with just a few other travelers. I'd hate to be there when the bash is on!

Imagine all of those people on driving dirt roads at the same time! Not my cup of tea either!
FollowupID: 895261

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:00

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 20:00
Bash or the the races means avoiding the whole area, but in saying that I tend to ignore Birdsville anyway. It's not that interesting and is basically a fuel stop for us.
FollowupID: 895301

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 22:12

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 22:12
There's some stuff to see at / around Birdsville.... get Don Rowlands to give you a tour at The Two Boys Dreaming site, there's a Burke and Wills tree to visit, check out the dingo caves just out of town as you head to Bedourie (also the Waddi tree is there where you turn off) drive out to Big Red and watch the sunset from a top off it, or maybe do a flight over The Simpson to give a great perspective of the dunes running parallel. We did all of the above there over several days on a trip that had Birdsville as our main destination before turning around to head back home, i'd been there 3 times previous but never spent time looking around the town and surrounds.
FollowupID: 895309

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 20:35

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 20:35
In four different years we've done the Bash, the Cup, a peaceful few days in quiet Birdsville after driving across the Simpson, and cruise down from Mt Isa.
Agree the outback is best when un-crowded, but each event offers something different. And the artist list the year we went to the Bash was fantastic....so enjoyed the crowds, the music and the general entertainment with a group of friends.
The really good thing about these events in Birdsville and other remote locations is that (unlike what we seem to get at city entertainment venues these days) everyone seems to be well behaved and just there to have a good time..... even if slightly inebriated.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 622412

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 21:49

Sunday, Dec 02, 2018 at 21:49
We are not fans of big crowds and usually camp by ourselves, but this is something different, like this site most people there are like minded people and are interested in the great out doors and camping. The comradery and friendships we have made there have been fantastic. For those that don't like it this year should be a good year to try it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
The main artists will be announced tomorrow (Monday) and it promises to be the best line up so far.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 622417

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 11:05

Monday, Dec 03, 2018 at 11:05
I was at the Bash a couple of years ago and had a good time.
The thing that concerns me, is the overflowing dump point out of town. Thousands camping on the 'village green' put the 'tank' under serious pressure.

Wondered then where the overflow eventually ends up? And no doubt it happens for the races too.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 622423

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 15:34

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 15:34
Just read in this morning's paper that Midnight Oil will be the main act next year. Which is somewhat coincidental considering Ivan's previous post regarding the Midnight Oil Challenge.

cheers
Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 622459

Sponsored Links