The Unthinkable ~ AGAIN.

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 14:41
ThreadID: 137521 Views:4281 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Explorers.

The unthinkable has happened again, someone has perished in the Pilbara, sad to say this one's rather close to home and rather astonishing simply because the person who perished was an Aboriginal woman from the Jigalong community, this particular community is only a couple of hours drive south east of Newman.

The authorities are keeping fairly quiet with this episode, so real details are scant.

A similar scenario played out close to a week ago, where a woman walked away from a bogged 4wd out of the Pilbara town of Pannawonica, sheer luck that this woman was found ~ alive.

Today's forecast day time temperature is 42-C but no mention of the red hot desert winds, there is simply no respite from the wind driven heat even if you hold up in a shady spot.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 16:20

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 16:20
Sad the hear Joe.
Without details it would be hard to be sure if it was a preventable type of incident to do with outdoors / 4WDn or walking etc.

Many older people (and younger too !) die in heatwaves Worldwide, it simply could have been an incident such as this without knowing more info.

It may be you heard that she was travelling, hard to say from your original post.
AnswerID: 622447

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 17:30

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 17:30
G'day Les
I agree with much of what you point out, but don't forget that I am here, Johnny on the spot, and I know just a little more than I am prepared to say at the moment bearing in mind this incident occurred on the weekend and it's got zip to do with 'respect' or 'cultural sensitivities'
To my way of thinking what has transpired is of paramount importance to anyone who contemplates remote region travel and not necessarily at this time of the year.
When and if more details are released or made public, I will post those details.
Just yesterday afternoon I persuaded a well travelled Swiss couple in their imported (lhd) Ford Ranger expedition vehicle not to travel into the Rudall River National Park (Karlamilyi N.P), this couple are World Expeditioners who have crossed the Sahara Desert in the very same vehicle, travelled much of the African continent ~ Solo, yet I felt compelled to point out the real danger(s) in what in reality is a superb place to wander around in ~ except at this time of the season, I honestly hope they grasped my reasoning in saying to them 'rethink your plans' on the Rudall.
But ultimately it is their choice. I just hope there is nothing more to say about them.
Les, there are many monumental screw ups that have occurred in the not too distant past, some sadly have claimed human lives, but little or NOTHING is released to the general public purely because it can be seen as bad press for some shitty resource company.
Safe travels : Joe
FollowupID: 895334

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 17:40

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 17:40
Here is the ABC report of the incident.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622451

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 23:10

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 23:10
G'day Allan B

Thanks for the heads up on the ABC report, I've just subjected myself to two hours of mind numbing television News, lots of breaking stories with dramatic music about corrupt Cops, Lawyers and the like, even Tony Abbott and Mal Turnbull got a mention.
I watched GWN7 which is a Western Australian broadcast that covers the entire state, channel 9 and also the ABC Perth both of which cover all the important stuff happening in the big state.
A quick report on the young bloke who was found dead after walking away from a vehicle in the Kimberley, but absolutely NOTHING in respect of the Jigalong drama.

FollowupID: 895351

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 19:12

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 19:12
Hi Joe

Thanks for that and a tragic waste of human life that could have been exerted.

Keep Safe

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622453

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:02

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 20:02
G'day Explorers

There you go, it's all said and done because it's on the ABC.

I have nothing further to add, but I honestly hope this saga serves a true purpose even if it is just to highlight or under line the perils of remote region travel, even if you are familiar with or too the area, whether your black, brown, brindle, or snow white, young or old, woman man or an explorer type with more confidence than a Liberal party politician going into an supposedly un losable election ~ screw up and your done for ~ end of story.

The Swiss Adventurers, made Marble Bar, all is well, just a little on the warm side they said.

The Pilbara as it actually is today 42C hot gusty winds, some cloud but little shade, I traversed this area yesterday just to see how extensive the wildfire damage was, it's burnt to a crisp, but it is still visually magnificent.

FollowupID: 895346

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 21:13

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2018 at 21:13
Thinking maybe all these could be put in one thread.
AnswerID: 622456

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 14:40

Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 14:40
42 degrees with hot gusterly winds. A bit cooler than what Cairns had for 3 days last week!!
AnswerID: 622475

Follow Up By: KevinE - Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 21:38

Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 21:38
I just googled Cairns weather for the last month; it was pretty cool really. What's your point?
FollowupID: 895392

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Dec 07, 2018 at 07:12

Friday, Dec 07, 2018 at 07:12

Maybe you need to Google better. Most of North Queensland had record temperatures. Proserpine got over 45 degrees.. My point being that heat is not limited to just remote areas and how our weather patterns are changing.
FollowupID: 895398

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Dec 07, 2018 at 22:44

Friday, Dec 07, 2018 at 22:44
Very unusual hail up that Townsville and further north region the other day !
FollowupID: 895432

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 06:30

Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 06:30
Atherton had 2 big hail storms with wind gusts of over 100kph two days in a row....very, very unusual.
FollowupID: 895434

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 08:17

Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 08:17
This version of Cairns weather is a bit different to yours.

Even yours only has 2 days, not 3 hotter than 42C, but it's there's no reference to Cairns on it!
FollowupID: 895436

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 08:30

Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 08:30
I live 7 klms West of Cairns Kevin and can guarantee that the days we had were at least a degree hotter than Cairns Airport(where weather is taken for BOM site). The valley is always hotter and or cooler during the year as it traps the weather. Pedantic aside I only added it to highlight that our weather can be deadly anywhere.
FollowupID: 895437

Follow Up By: Crusader - Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 09:09

Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 09:09
"This version of Cairns weather is a bit different to yours.

Even yours only has 2 days, not 3 hotter than 42C, but it's there's no reference to Cairns on it! "

Whats your point Kevin ?......Its niggly bloody minded, offtopic posts like yours that are detracting from this forum. Give it a rest !

The point Bigfish made was relevant and correct

FWIW - I live in Redlynch in Cairns and can assure you Bigfish is 100% correct.

Crusader
FollowupID: 895438

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 19:38

Saturday, Dec 08, 2018 at 19:38
Amazing how the google expert's argue with the people that are actually there. It is an age old practice for tourist destinations to put their weather stations in the coolest known pockets so the real temps dont get broadcast and keep the money away.
FollowupID: 895454

Sponsored Links