Rust protection won't dry?

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 09, 2018 at 12:45
ThreadID: 137539 Views:4177 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Had professional underbody rust protection spray applied to my 200 series. Its still tacky in areas after 5 weeks since application? Especially in the wheel arches on the sound deadener?
Has this happened to anyone else, what was the remedy to fix? I live more than 200km from where it was applied which is a mission to take back.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: ian.g - Sunday, Dec 09, 2018 at 17:06

Sunday, Dec 09, 2018 at 17:06
Phone the applicator and ask him or her, am sure they will give you a reasonable answer
AnswerID: 622552

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Dec 09, 2018 at 19:20

Sunday, Dec 09, 2018 at 19:20
Was it under body protection AND rust proofing

If so, I wouldn't bee too concerned. The under body would have been sprayed with one product and then the cavities treated, try it the other way and the under body paint doesn't stick to the greasy stuff. You can't really clean it up at the time off application either as it will keep bleeding out for a while.

The cavity wax type products I have used tend to stay tacky so that if they are scratched the rust proofing can self heal and prevent water contacting the underlying metal.

The stuff in the wheel arches on the sound deadener will probably just be over spray from where the spray nozzles were inserted into spaces behind. It will collect a bit of dust, but the first time you hit it with a pressure washer it will all be gone.
AnswerID: 622557

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:37

Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:37
Exactly , hit it with a pressure washer and it will be ALL gone , just as the $$$ you paid for the 'treatments'.....always ,always read the 'fine' print of rust protection / paint protection ,,, you must Not do this , you must Do that , you Must use this product for cleaning the vehicle [ always the most expensive ] , you must re-new the treatment if scratched etc etc etc ....a great $$$ making CON job from dealers and aftermarket suppliers , in this day and age very very few vehicles develop 'rust' over the life of the vehicle unless used in VERY extreme environments .
FollowupID: 895515

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 19:38

Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 19:38
If you happen to have any bull dust on a road near you then I can guarantee that an application of this natural product will dry the underbody sealant very quickly.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622568

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 22:52

Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 22:52
Such tacky underbody rust protection actually has the ability to trap salty sand making it harder to simply spray off
AnswerID: 622570

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2018 at 08:12

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2018 at 08:12
HI

Many rust preventative remain soft but should not be tacky . Wait 1-2mths and if still tacky return vehicle .
Do u no name of the product that was used . Did u do so research on it.
AnswerID: 622572

Reply By: Arnold - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 09:09

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 09:09
Hi all, thanks for the reply’s. I phoned the applicator and they want me to return the vehicle. They said it sometimes doesn’t take to non metal surfaces, like the sound deadener. The rest of the vehicle is dry. After spending so much on the vehicle purchase I thought I was doing the right thing trying to protect it. I researched for around 6 months before going to the best forum recommended place in Brisbane to get it done (hence driving 2+ hours from where I live just to get this done). Just thought someone else may have been through all this before. Thanks
AnswerID: 622598

Sponsored Links