Forty mile beach - noosa to rainbow

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 14:43
ThreadID: 137613 Views:2988 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to drive this tomorrow- i read that we need a permit, and can get this online. Is this correct?

Low tide is 8-30 , so i guess if we make sure we are off the beach and on the freshwater track by 12- we should be fine. Looki g at the np site- doesnt look there are any issues.

Does this sound reasonable?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 17:13

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 17:13
Yes, you need a Vehicle Access Permit from QNP, available online here.

High tide is at 2:40pm so you should well clear by midday.

Have a good drive and watch out for people on the beach, especially kids.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622873

Follow Up By: 4ofus - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 19:04

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 19:04
Thanks for that !
FollowupID: 895910

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 23:25

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 23:25
It's a great drive, have spent a couple of weekends in there camping Teewah in the past few years, and visiting Double Is Pt / Rainbow / Inskip etc.

Exiting from the beach and through Freshwater Tracks is also nice drive through thick forest.

Shame to rush it on a day drive but doable . . . once we were leaving south to Noosa and racing an incoming tide on a Sunday morning, along wiht plenty of others, but even with it quite high we had no issues.

If you want to enjoy it at a more pleasurable pace, camping Teewah beach sites is usually good, just got to pick a camp with no ferals (if possible !) and you can enjoy some peace and quiet.
AnswerID: 622878

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 12:08

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 12:08
You are supposed to have a printed notice on the dash, but what to do if no printer?
I went up in July last year and was used to the Ranger Station being near the beach entrance. It has now shifted to the Tewantin side of the ferry, which I only realized once over the ferry.

So I did it online but obviously couldn't print out a docket. I relied on it being on my iPhone but wasn't stopped anyway, but I wondered if an over zealous ranger could have fined me anyway.
regards Philip A
AnswerID: 622889

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 14:43

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 14:43
Must have been a while since you were last there Philip, the Ranger station has been on that side of the river for atleast 5 years now I reckon, and I'd say possibly even longer then that.
As for having a printed permit...the Rangers check your rego online on thier tablets, I was recently checked at Bribie as well as drug and alcohol tested by Police at same spot, by the time the coppers had finished a with me, oldmate Ranger had already checked my permit without even speaking to me....my permit was in my centre console.
FollowupID: 895946

Reply By: Pushy - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 12:49

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 12:49
Expect plenty of traffic this time of year.
AnswerID: 622894

Reply By: 4ofus - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 17:22

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 17:22
We have done the trip several times. but that was at least 7 years back.
We didnt print our permit and had on our phone- no checking done - but saw rangers on the beach.
So we did and all was fine- bar the 1km line of cars to get on the ferry at the Noosa side. 45 mins plus crawling along.
Took the freshwater track as there was heaps doing the Leisha and just as well as the scramble of cars to bet around Mudlo was crazy. We had a look from the rainbow side- Some just made it , some going through the rocks to get past- inside of 2 hours under high tide.
Cars coming down the freshwater going way too fast ....
police on beach too catching the nutters.
Cant believe jow many people crammed onto the Teewah camp section.
AnswerID: 622898

Sponsored Links