New Waikerie Silo Art Now Complete

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 21:19
ThreadID: 137632 Views:3976 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
First of all,

A Very Happy New Year to all viewers on the forum.

I have been in regular contact with the Co-Ordinator of the Waikerie Silo Art.

The work commenced in October 2018 and was completed the week prior to Christmas 2018.

2 Artists were onsite and the art consists of Contemporary, Aboriginal and Modern.

Unlike other sites around Australia, these silos are painted both back and front.

Viewing areas and picnic areas are still in the process of being made, but the most important thing is the site is open for every one to now view the completed art.

So for anyone travelling through the Riverland in South Australia, make sure you add the Waikerie Silo site to your list.

All pieces of art are so different, but for me, the one item that stand out and is so like like is the giant Yabby.

Sorry for so many images, but just one or 2 will not show all the details.

Happy Viewing.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:07
Good to see the rest of those Stephen.
I'm not that big on the abstract stuff, guess it's somewhat representative of modern indigenous art ??

The Yabbie is good, as is the (I think it is a) Rosella of some sort.

Did you put the drone up ?
Or was it :

A. Too windy
B. Too many people about
C. Overhead wires a concern
D. Forgot to take it
AnswerID: 622956

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:22

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:22
Hi Les

A = yes it was windy, but not a problem.

B = yes there were people around, but kept more than 50 metres from everyone.

C = yes there were overhead wire, but kept well above them.

D = no I did not forget to take it.

Yes I put it up, but to be honest, I have not looked at the videos yet.

Around the back is the best place to launch it. I did it near the small fence, then went high to go over the power line then out over the cliffs and along the river.

Took it out at Lock 5 as well, but asked the Lock operator first and he had no objections. I was even able to capture 2 houseboats entering the lock. The lock operator even asked the houseboat people first if they had no objections on being filmed from the air, the they were all happy with that.

As you know, it’s better to do the right thing, than to get people on the wrong side and give respisable drone operators a bad name.

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896024

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 06:18

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 06:18
Ah, I thought you'd have taken a few pics from the air and post up, maybe later.

If you took video, find a nice clear frame in the video, pause, maximise and clear screen, and screenshot it on the computer.
Go to your photo editing app and save as a pdf, mos if needed, and you should have a nice clear 'still'. :)

This is especially so if you occasionally pause flight to ensure you get less movement, and use an ND filter to slow shutter.

Pics aren't as good with ND fitted, but this is how I get a lot of my stills, rather than putting it up with an UV-NC, or C-PL.

Looking forward to seeing your video, and any stills you have, or take from video.

Cheers,
Les
FollowupID: 896025

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 09:36

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 09:36
Hi Les Again

Here are a few images of the silo from the air

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896030

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 18:22
Stop it, you guys! And Equinox, and everyone else posting drone shots. Enough of the excellent pics already!

I'm trying desperately to hold on to my indisposition toward drones but you're all making it very difficult.

Don't you see the difficulties you are forcing us to endure - the $$$ outlay, the learning to fly, learning to edit, dealing with CASA regs (I've done enough of that in a past life, thank you very much), finding room for "the stuff", deciding on accessories, more batteries to charge. These are clearly insurmountable barriers to ownership of a drone but you lot have joined forces to chip away at them, gradually making them surmountable.

Stop it, I say, stop it at once.

:-)

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622970

Follow Up By: OBJ - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 19:14
I was the same as you, Frank. But Santa bought me a DJI Spark drone .. and now the world is a happy place. Go through Youtube to have your appetite whetted.

Sorry .... but .....

OBJ
FollowupID: 896048

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 20:33

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 20:33
Hi Frank

Does that mean you do not want me to post any more images like this......lol

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896053

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 20:37

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 20:37
I particularly like the yabbie and the parrot with body parts on different silos, lined up to make a near perfect image.

Grrrrr :-)
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896055

Reply By: OBJ - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 19:18
I was lucky to see the Silo Art in Victoria, as well as the silo in Kimba when it was being painted (In a howling gale). I remain in total awe of these extremely talented and clever individuals who are capable of putting these masterpieces up for us all to enjoy (or for me to just dribble about).

I will see them all ... but thank you Stephen for posting. As I commented in an earlier post o you .. everytime you put something up here you cost me money!!!! Just stay athome for a while so I can catch up :)

Happy New Year.
Jack
AnswerID: 622972

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 20:23
Hi Jack

I just I could get out more and see them all.

They are all so different and well worth the effort to see them.

All the Best for 2019

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896052

Sponsored Links