Hornsdale SA, Tesla battery and wind farm

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:19
ThreadID: 137633 Views:3402 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A little NW of Jamestown in the mid north of SA, is the much talked about Telsa battery and wind farm at Hornsdale.
It's on Google Maps actually officially known as Hornsdale Power Reserve

Not much to look at from the ground, like a big transformer station.
The front gate on the road perimeter fence is just hitched with an old stockmans hook, not locked at all, but there are no entry signs and a larger very secure looking fence around the site close in too.

Anyway, flew across to it from near a large turbine entry gate off the road, and it was interesting to see the battery part of it, as well as a closer look from the air of the turbines and towers supporting them.
My son had to visit with his new Tesla X, quite an intricate machine, or rather it is more a computer than machine.

I tried out a plain UV-NC filter on the Mavic Pro this flight, will be using ND again in future as it make video footage so much better, still gives a nice perspective of the site.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 22:29
That is great Les

Did you edit it on your iPad?

Well done

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622957

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 06:26

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 06:26
Yes, iMovie for clipping, any speed alterations, adding dissolve / fade between sections, then save in 1080 and 720.
These are then opened in the DJI app editor, and add some music, which is a bit limited.
After adding music, I then save those in turn 1080 and 720 res, and delete the silent ones.
So when I see the 2 vids on the ipad, I know which is 1080 and which is 720.

Not sure why I do the 2 res, maybe because youtube sometimes reduces quality, and I've had to upload in 720 a couple of times.
Not much difference between the 2 in file sizes when transferred to the main laptops, I noticed a few times.

With the music, one of these days I will find out how easy it is to find free songs on the many free and commercial websites, and get some new ones onto the vids, there are many nice quiet songs that add to the otherwise 'silent movie'.

DJI editor music can be added to, go to more music somewhere on there, as there are maybe another 10 or 12 songs you can download, and some of them are good.
FollowupID: 896026

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 11:25

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 11:25
Interesting, thanks.

Around 1m50s you flew close to one of the turbines - is that the actual speed at which the blades rotate or have you slowed the video for some reason.

If the video is a fair representation of the speed at which they rotate then, for the life of me, I cannot see them knocking birds out of the sky as is often stated.

Those cursed Indian Mynahs fly rapidly in and out of shrubs near my place without ripping feathers out. Fake news perhaps?
AnswerID: 622961

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 13:37
Yes Dicky, that was actual except for the obvious 3 or 4 seconds I slowed it down for the slow motion effect.

Some of the turbine blades nearby were going a lot faster that this one, others barely moving.
I think it is mainly eagles, hawks etc that are slow moving air current flyers that have issues with the blades.

FollowupID: 896035

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 14:59

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 14:59
I suspect you're right, DickyBeach. Some interesting numbers posted in the last item on the Hornsdale FAQ.

But those stately turbine move at quite a clip.....

The blades at Hornsdale are 55m long. 12rpm is a typical rotational speed in a good breeze, so with a 3 blade turbine, that's 36 blades a minute, or one every 1.7 seconds. At 12rpm the tips are doing just under 250kph. 1.7 seconds to dodge between things coming at you at 250kph. Best not to be there, except for Indian Mynahs, of course :-)

That's at the tips. Closer to the hub, it's still 1.7 seconds between blades, but they're moving much slower, so perhaps the poor bird would only get a bump if it mistimed its attempted passage.

Looking at the video, the rpm seemed to be about 6. So tip speed would be about 125kph and the interval between blades about 3.5 seconds. Still a bit risky to play chicken.

LOL
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 896037

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 13:17

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 13:17
Yes, the blade tips on those big turbines are moving much faster than it may appear to the eye!
FollowupID: 896227

Reply By: Athol W1 - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 13:44

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2019 at 13:44
Dickybeach

After seeing numerous wind farms through out Australia I can tell you that the speed shown is typical. The larger the diameter, or paddle/blade length the slower that they rotate.

Athol
AnswerID: 622965

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 23:02

Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 23:02
Hi Guys
I visited the Hornsdale Wind Farm back in July 2017. At the time they were just installing the battery system. What was quite unnerving whilst driving along the adjacent roads was the shadow of the blades coming across the road directly in front of you.Check out the video here,
https://youtu.be/jGl8lDuPjrk
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623052

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Jan 06, 2019 at 00:22

Sunday, Jan 06, 2019 at 00:22
Strangely unnerving, shadows look faster.
Early morning or late afternoon shadows would look amazing from above looking straight down.
Must remember to do this if near turbines sometime suitable.
FollowupID: 896145

Sponsored Links