Cape York from the eyes of a first time traveller

Good Afternoon All

Well I have finally put together a Blog from our great Cape York trip in August last year.

Like so many people, we were "Cape" virgins and did not really know what to see or expect, as you get so many different reports from many peoples different views.

If anyone is ever thinking of doing such a trip, "Do It" as it is ever changing and they say that within 4 years, it will be fully bituminised all the way to Weipa.

Give yourself at much time as possible and do not rush the trip, as Fiona and I both took 7 weeks LSR, and after doing the trip, wished we had taken a lot longer.

The views in my Blog are our own personal views and will differ from what other people may say.

If you click on this link : Cape York - From a First Time Traveller it will give first time visitors like me an idea on that the Cape is like, as well as some of the scenery and things to see up there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Thursday, Jan 03, 2019 at 21:33

Thursday, Jan 03, 2019 at 21:33
Hi Stephen
Many thanks for providing such a detailed report of your trip. Excellent resource!
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 622994

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 03, 2019 at 22:11

Thursday, Jan 03, 2019 at 22:11
Hi Robert

Thanks for that and I hope it gives future visitors an idea on what it is like up there.

As I said you will always get a different response from different people.

We loved it and the only thing that I wished that we had was a clear blue sky at the top, but unfortunately it was overcast all the time after we left Bramwell Station, and only cleared again when we got back to Cooktown.

Cheers and Thanks

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896071

Reply By: Member - sweetwill - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 07:19

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 07:19
Thank you Stephen your blog certanly has helped me to decide that it is time to go, and to have my photo taken beside that famous sign.
AnswerID: 623001

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 07:27

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 07:27
Hi sweetwill

It is a great trip and as a first time visitor, there is just so much to see and no first trip will see it all.

Do not rush the trip and you will have a ball.

All the best with your planning.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896075

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 07:58

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 07:58
Thanks for that Stephen, as usual, very interesting and comprehensive. It's starting to get very annoying that places are becoming so crowded. I just cut short a mini expedition of sorts around northern NSW because everywhere I went was overcrowded with people packed into campsites like sardines.
AnswerID: 623002

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 09:18

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 09:18
Hi Michael

Yes when you look on a map, the Cape looks like it would be a remote area to travel, but it is far from that and you are never alone.

For some strange reason both the parks in Seisia and Punsand Bay were full, and we could not believe just how packed in the way they were, yet at Loyalty Beach, there was no overcrowding and once we paid our fees, to basically set up we’re we like.

The biggest thing that I found hard to put up with, was the way many drivers drove like there was no tomorrow and would pass you without thinking of the dangers and they say it is far worse during school holidays when the place is described as just crazy.

Having said that, it was still a fantastic place to visit despite the crowds and I would go back tomorrow if I had the chance, but that will have to wait for a few years with an unexpected change in employment.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896079

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 13:13

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 13:13
Another of your excellent blogs Stephen .. and once again here I go checking my bank balance. Don't you have any work to do around the house for 6 or 7 months????? Stay home !!!!

Cape York is on the list for this year .. or next.

Best wishes.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623020

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 14:44

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 14:44
Welcome to the Members’ Bar, Jack.

Your shout!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896090

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 09:16

Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 09:16
Hi Jack

You will enjoy your Cape trip, and like I said, take your time as there is so much to see.

You have my word that I will not do any big trips during 2019......not for doing any work around the house, but due to a change in employment........lol

All the best

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896113

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 20:13

Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 20:13
Hi Jack,
Yes,
Stephen does a good Blog.
We planned our trip from the bottom of Vic, and only had holiday time table in Sept.
.The year was a very dry one which made water crossings easier on the Ott.
We stayed at Loyalty beach and agree that it was the best caravan Park but when we were there it was packed.
We left the little van there & went to the tip & areas within a days drive.
Then we moved down & did the same.
If you go into Fruit Bat Falls, don't miss the 2 smaller ones further on along the board walk.
We stayed at Bramwell Station & it was far better than Bramwell Juction. I commented on Stephens' blog.
There are little Biteys in fruit Bat falls & they do hurt, particularly little kids.
They didn't do anything nasty to us.
When we were in the N.T & swam in Dams we used to call them arma fishes.
What Stephen said about the road & many drivers on it is very true.
The week before we were up there, in September there had been 3 fatalitys one wreck was still where it happened on a corner.
Like to back to some of the area again but we too have had a change of job.
Our em ployer died & we didn't receive our entitlements which included an extra bit of long service. ( we are looking into this so please don't worry.) It has just put an end to our retirement plans.
Enjoy your trip and be sure to read up on the tropical insect safety.
Take care, safe travels.Ma.
FollowupID: 896136

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 20:21

Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 20:21
Thanks again Ma

It sure is a great place to visit, and I know that you will return.

All the best

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896137

Sponsored Links