Anyone just like exploring the world with Google Maps?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 00:49
ThreadID: 137650 Views:3101 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I can’t count the amount of times I opened Google Maps simply to explore the world (virtually, of course) on my computer or on my phone.

Sometimes I look around my city to see if there’s any parks I could go to. Sometimes I explore other cities that are much more dense (Tokyo, New York, London) and be in awe with the design of the roads or even the sheer length and amount of them. Sometimes I even explore my childhood city to relive the memories of when I took the school bus and look around the houses and streets from the window.

And when I’m extremely bored, I search up any city that I think of as a destination and I look at the amount of time it takes to reach there from my home, either by driving, biking or walking. So, I’d get results like “15 days to reach Anchorage by bike” and I think of a moment in my life where I could try that.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 03:41

Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 03:41
A deep and thoughtful post.
I use Google maps a lot for planning and destinations being travelled to, but not often in a recollective or imaginative way.
I have done the “how long to here” by foot or bike though, just for interest after having close destinations come up as foot travel method.
Thanks for the seed of an idea, Google is very detailed once you zoom in a bit :)
AnswerID: 623031

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 18:22

Saturday, Jan 05, 2019 at 18:22
Good post
A few years ago I "discovered" Patrick Fermor's books - some about traveling through Europe in the 1930s, another about abducting General Kreipe in Crete during WW2 and a couple more about remote parts of Greece. I used Google Earth to follow his journeys and in particular to view photos of the places and buildings he visited, be they cities, monasteries, castles, magnificent houses, etc. It made the reading all the more "real" to be able to put pictures to the text.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 623045

Reply By: Laz - Sunday, Jan 06, 2019 at 10:18

Sunday, Jan 06, 2019 at 10:18
Hi, itnithand e.

I thought, I was the only one like that (ha ha).

I use it all the time - when I am planning my trips of course, when I am reading a book or, exactly as you said, when I'm bored.

To me - it's just fascinating! It's a great facility - to be able to see the places you wouldn't be able to see otherwise.

Happy travelling "around the world"!

Cheers,
Laz.
AnswerID: 623053

Reply By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:55

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:55
I sometimes like to poke around on Google Earth. :)

A few days ago, while using it to look around Death Valley National Park, I spotted a wooden vehicle bridge over a ravine. Which was interesting because it was at least a few km's from any current road. :)
AnswerID: 623083

Reply By: Graeme - Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 16:57

Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 16:57
I have set a pin in every place in the world that I have worked, or spent some time in as they all have memories for me. I have another couple of pins to add when I get home from this trip
AnswerID: 623156

Sponsored Links