A question on air suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 13:41
ThreadID: 137689 Views:2131 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am just working out the air control system for the air bag suspension on my caravan build. There will be a little control manifold on a panel with up/down switches plus an air gauge fed from an ARB compressor via an air tank.

The compressor cuts out at about 100 psi. Usually you'd run an air line from the compressor to the air tank and another from the other side of the air tank to the manifold. I get that.

Because the compressor is right next to the manifold and space is tight, I was thinking of putting a tee on the outlet of the compressor. One branch of the tee will go into the air tank a few inches away, with the now unused outlet port of the air tank plugged. The other branch of the tee will go to the manifold.

I called Airbagman who advised that this will confuse the compressor because the air won't know which way to go. I don't get that. Can anyone throw some light on what may be wrong with my proposed scheme?

Many thanks
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:14

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:14
Pressure in a closed system is equal everywhere. Air bag man may be just a seller of the gear and not possess realistic knowledge.
PS. Do you have a valve system to prevent mass transfer pressure from pushing air from outside of corner bag to inside bag and turning the van over?
Each bag would be separately regulated from the opposite side for safety reasons.
AnswerID: 623251

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:41

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 14:41
Yes each side is separately regulated and the compressor has its own non return valve.
Keith
FollowupID: 896412

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 16:24

Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 16:24
I have air bellows in place of my rear coils on my patrol and it has a solenoid switch I mounted to the air tank outlet it won't let air into the bellows unless I activate the switch which is in the dash. This allows me to also use the same air tank and compressor to pump up my tyres if this makes sense to you. You should be able to do the same if yours has a similar set up.
AnswerID: 623292

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 19:35

Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 19:35
Good advice. I'd like to use the same tank to air up the van and blow dust away from the slide-out.
Many thanks Batt's.
Keith
FollowupID: 896447

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 21:28

Saturday, Jan 19, 2019 at 21:28
My tank came with 6 outlets I use 5 of them
1st - compressor inlet
2nd - solenoid outlet for suspension
3rd - air outlet to Jamec coupling in bulbar for front tyres
4th - air outlet under tray Jamec coupling for rear tyres
5th - on bottom of tank 120psi safety pressure release valve, good for draining out water as well.
FollowupID: 896449

Sponsored Links