Place Review: Monkira Rest Area Dump Point (Free)

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 17:26
ThreadID: 137691 Views:2692 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

My Place Rating: My Rating 1/5

Is this really a dump point? WikiCamps gives it as a rest area.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 19:28

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 19:28
HI Peter,
The name of this place indicates that it is a dump point at a rest area. Our system has a separate category of Place Type for Dump Points as there are some that are independent. For those that are near a camp or rest area then the camp or rest area will be a separate listing. It looks as if we don't actually have the rest area listed itself but that is easily added - I'll look into that. We installed the Dump Point database last year as an independent set of Places.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623259

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:28

Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:28
Tks, it seemed strange that there was a dump point out there without an attached rest area and there is one 140 km to the east of it. When following on from the link in Ron's reply I discovered another rest area with dump point 92 km west of Monkira. It seems a bit excessive, having 3 dump points along that road.

There is also another dump point at "Bedourie Region Dump Point (Free) - QLD" that you added in that exercise that does not have its associated rest area mentioned or the rest area symbol on the map.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896426

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 23:45

Thursday, Jan 17, 2019 at 23:45
Peter - The official DT&MR QLD roads guide gives Monkira rest area as a dump point (alongside "Bedourie", on Page 2).

Guide to QLD Roads

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623265

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:17

Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 12:17
Thanks for that, especially the link to the guide, it assisted me to finde more info. There is a map that goes with that - Map of Queensland (map 1) - it assist you find those rest areas and other points.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896425

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 16:09

Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 16:09
Do we have a volunteer I can ask to cross-reference the document Ron has linked to apvda.org.au against our Places list and to add any rest areas that are currently not included in our Places - unless they are very new 99% of them should already be there but need someone to do the check/addition please.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623282

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 21:52

Friday, Jan 18, 2019 at 21:52
How do you envisage doing that? I have spent some time working my way up TMR map and comparing it with the EO map. I am seeing some significant differences between the two. I am finding it hard work, I really need a two screen setup to make things easy.

I have getting my maps from the main source and not the apvda. site - Guide to Queensland Roads - it lists all the Qld reference maps on it.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896434

Sponsored Links