Article Comment: About the EOTopo Mapset

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2019 at 18:16
ThreadID: 137730 Views:3707 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Michelle & David,I have just travelled the route highlighted in the attached.
EOTopo names the track as Tom Groggin Track. Throughout the highlighted section it is signposted multiple times as Mt Hope Rd.
FYI
Regards
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member BarryG - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:27

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:27
Hi Frank,

The Hema map of the Vic High Country also shows this as Tom Groggin Track, except for a short section apparently shared with the Mount Hope Track. I am guessing that the Mount Hope Track was there first and the Tom Groggin track joins it for a short distance then continues on under its own name.
You will see at the bottom of your screenshot, that EOTopo also shows the name of the Mount Hope Track.
AnswerID: 623505

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:21

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:21
West of the circle in Barry's Hema map picture it is properly called Tom Groggin Bottom track.

Then while in the Gibbo State Forrest, it is called Mt Hope Rd.

When it crosses into the Alpine national park near the property it turns into Tom Groggin Track.

Hema shows several different versions on different editions and maps. I think all are incorrect.

The Victorian Government maps and Rooftop show it correctly.

Interestingly, there is one other map that shows it correctly...... Google Maps.

Better hold off on that Press release Michelle.
AnswerID: 623506

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:51

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:51
I have written to Parks Vic, CC'd to Michelle, requesting clarification. Hopefully their answer is authoritative.

I have a particular interest in this kind of thing. I was not so long ago involved in an emergency. I gave Triple O the location based on the maps I had. Emergency services, using different maps, were dispatched to a location some 40km from me and subsequently turned up 3 hours after the event.

Interestingly, I tried to give them a lat/long position but all they wanted to know was how many km from a town on a road. The discrepancy was road names, which led to the dispatch error.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896709

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 13:12

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 13:12
Frank. You may have to contact Delwp or who ever they are this week given the disputed section is in Gibbo state forest. The section in the National park is consistantly Tom Groggin Track.

Call the omeo office. They share it with Parks anyway.

03 5159 0600 you may have to leave a message but they generally get back to you within 24 hours.
FollowupID: 896710

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 13:33

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2019 at 13:33
Thanks Tony,

I have already left a voicemail with Omeo Parks, waiting on a call-back. They're all out firefighting.

The person I spoke to will receive my email and has promised to forward it to the Omeo office. We'll see what transpires.

Delwp is a good contact. Thanks.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896712

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:44
I received a reply from the Parks Vic Ranger Team Leader stationed at Omeo. According to him it is Mt Hope Rd to the Alpine Nat Park boundary, where it becomes Tom Groggin Track. This is in line with the signage in the area and with Google Maps!!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623524

Sponsored Links