Road Side Recovery....more

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:31
ThreadID: 13774 Views:2606 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

After reading post 13361 about the virtues of Modial Assist (is this the same as Worldcare??) and recovering 4bys off the beaten track, I though I would do some investigating. According to their policy, the policy does not apply to

"Vehicles located in a remote location. This is deemed as being a location not
trafficable by a two-wheel drive recovery vehicle."

Seems this is the same as RACQ/V/NRMA etc.

This begs the question, is there anyone out there who will recover you from somewhere like Fraser Island?

Hope someone out there can help


Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tuco69 - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:05
Hi Tim ... not sure about Fraser Is , however I believe that there is an establishment in Birdsville who will recover from the Simpson desert. The cost depends on the distance, vehicle type etc but can be as high as $5000.

A few years back we had a 4x4 F150, which did the common fault of breaking the rear axle housing in half! We were near Doomagee in NW Qld. I managed to limp it to Doomagee on the front drive. Fortunately we had RACQ Ultra cover, and they organised a semi to do a 'remote recovery' from Doomagee to Cairns. Luckily there was a loading ramp in Doomagee - so I was able to drive onto the semi using the front drive - not sure how we would have loaded it otherwise!
In view of the excelent service that RACQ provided in this instance, I would highly recommend 'Ultra Care' for anyone now.
AnswerID: 63207

Reply By: Cruiser88 - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:12

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:12
Hi Tim

In most really popular destinations I have been to ie Fraser there are businesses who are able to do remote recoveries. On Fraser they have to come from Rainbow Beach which means that if the tide is conming in and you're bogged to the axles it may be to late by the time they get the ferry over. The servo at Orchard beach will help sometimes but in both of these cases you need a fat wallet to pay for the recovery. Most times other 4WD'ers are the ones who will help you out. Hope you never need that level of recovery though.
AnswerID: 63209

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:23

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:23
When I type in it directs me to this mondial outfit so it seems that world care who did recover from anywhere are no more. Think I'll stick with the RACV who with one subscribtion cover me for driving any vehicle and anyone driving my nominated vehicle so I have my falcon covered which is driven mostly by my wife and my ute covered which is driven only by me with the one fee.
If worldcare has gone I don't think there's any other mob that insure for offroad recoverys....yep...fat wallet
AnswerID: 63213

Reply By: tour boy - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 13:38
As an NRMA member I was told and saw in writing that the long beach run at frazer is the only stretch of beach in the world classed as a highway and as such the nrma road service covers you on the beach. Not sure about the tracks though.
AnswerID: 63233

Follow Up By: Cruiser88 - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 13:54

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 13:54
Yes the beach runs on fraser are classed as a highway with a designated speed limit of 80K's and radars are used there by the local lads. There is now a police station on the island.
FollowupID: 324520

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:54

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:54
World Care and Modail are the same, here is a copy of the document they sent me .
The Premium 4x4 covers remote areas.

Premium 4x4 Rescue
for those making that long awaited trip around Australia or the avid off road enthusiast


The value of all services provided to you in respect of any one breakdown or immobilisation occurring in the period of entitlement is limited to $5,000.

24 hour assistance anywhere in Australia with:

• Unlimited towing
• Unlimited call outs
• Emergency fuel (in remote areas at your cost)
• Emergency locksmith/key replacement in metropolitan areas
• Emergency medical advice
• Trip Monitoring Service
• Accident co-ordination
• Urgent message relay
• Free tyre changing (except in remote areas)
• Bogged vehicle recovery
• Mechanical advice

The main exclusions at this level are:

• Tyre changing in remote areas
• Emergency locksmith/key replacement in remote areas
• Recovery of caravan/trailers in remote areas

General conditions also apply.

12 MONTHS COVER $49 + GST = $53.90
CARAVAN/TRAILER $54 + GST = $59.40

12 MONTHS COVER $195 + GST = $214.50
CARAVAN/TRAILER $220 + GST = $242.00

TEMPORARY Upgrade from STANDARD to PREMIUM Cover for:

$20 + GST = $22.00 Per Month
$35 + GST = $38.50 Per Month CARAVAN/TRAILER

Additional months available for ‘UPGRADE’ please phone our Customer Care Desk on 1800 63 63 13 for pricing.


Worldcare 4x4 Roadside is only available to vehicles less than 10 years old, with an odometer reading of less than 180,000km.
Policy Exclusions/Conditions
• Worldcare 4x4 Rescue is not responsible for costs resulting from driver negligence or inappropriate use of vehicle or incorrect repair of vehicle
• Where temporary repairs are effected to mobilise vehicle on site, it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure any further necessary repairs are carried out at the nearest facility prior to proceeding on their journey
• Worldcare 4x4 Rescue retains the right to either repair on site or transport the vehicle to the nearest Worldcare 4x4 Rescue nominated repair facility.
• All costs relating to parts, labour and other associated costs for the repair of the vehicle, including replacement batteries and/or tyres
• Vehicles bogged in remote locations where insufficient equipment was available or where no reasonable attempt has been made to extricate the vehicle
• Costs resulting from driver negligence, inappropriate use, or incorrect repair/modification of the vehicle (as per manufacturers specifications and legal requirements)
• Vehicles being used for race/rally purpose
• Vehicles immobilised as a result of accident, flood, fire or water damage
• The towing or recovery of caravan / trailers from a remote area
Gazetted road - an all weather maintained gazetted road (i.e. accessible in all weather by a 2 wheel drive vehicle)
Remote area - an area which is normally accessible only by 4WD vehicles, or which requires specialised heavy recovery equipment
Bogged - a state where your vehicle is unable to proceed directly due to the condition of the ground surface
Vehicle - your nominated vehicle for Worldcare 4x4 Rescue
Required equipment for Remote Areas on PREMIUM Cover - basic recovery equipment - snatch'em strap, shovel and tool kit
Thank you for your enquiry and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Please call 1800 63 63 13 if you require any more information
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 63359

Sponsored Links