Newton Sydney

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 14:09
ThreadID: 137785 Views:2819 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody know where St Enoch's Presbyterian church stood it was on the Cnr of Lennox & Wellington Sts Newtown NSW. But now there's no wellington st in Newtown now, the manse next door was also in Wellington St. It was were the founding member of the Australian reptile club lived & where they held there meetings, which later had a lot to do with catching a live Taipan. Which in turn started the anti-venom (anti-venene) program & one young member gave his life for "Kevin Budden''
I’m trying to find this address as my father also lived in the manse as a teenager but I have not been able to locate where the church or the manse once stood.
For all of us who have travelled into Taipan Country or are interested in the Taipan there is a book called Venom by Brendan James Murray that is well worth the read
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 15:58

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 15:58
Hi Duck,

I can offer you only the following. I don't know what happened to St Enoch's

"Wellington Street was formed prior to 1858, and became Chelmsford Street sometime after 1939. The Presbyterian church was located here prior to 1881; this street was surely named for the Duke of Wellington, the English hero of the Napoleonic wars, though a certain Mr Wellington did live in Egan Street in the 1880s."

This is a Google 'Street View' of the corner of Lennox and Chelmsford streets. Now a vacant block/park. Perhaps St Enoch's once stood here.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623739

Follow Up By: duck - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 18:50

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 18:50
Thanks Allan
Thanks for your help
Since I posted this I found the Church was pulled down in the early Sixty’s & the Street was changed to Chelmsford st in the late 40's early 50,s but the locals kept all there documents as Wellington st which caused the confusion. My dad spent he's childhood living in the manse as the Minister had his own private home nearby. My grandparents lived there its strange to think my Grandfather had a firing range under the church, My uncle had all he's snakes & reptiles in the manse's billiard room that became the reptile room & meeting place for the Australian reptile club, & I ques my Dad just ran amuck with the rest of the Kids of that time
thanks again for spending the time & posting a reply
FollowupID: 897000

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 19:32

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 19:32
Duck, the following links have information regarding St Enoch's Presbyterian Church, Newtown.

The first link is to the Newtown Project, a historical project from the City of Sydney Archives, documenting the Municipality of Newtown, which was absorbed into the City of Sydney in 1948, via legislation, to assist in the progress of infrastructure development.

The Newtown Project

The second link is a "social sketch" of Newtown, from 1892 to 1922, a total of 7 pages, from the Newtown Project.

Interestingly, there is no information in this "social sketch" on St Enoch's Church, which was built in 1887 - but there's a section, and a photo, on the Coronation Hall of St. Enoch's, which was built in 1911.

The Coronation Hall was apparently some way distant from the actual Church.
Newtown - A social sketch - 1892-1922

The third link is to a genealogy page, which has a photo and a snippet of information about St Enoch's, stating it was built by John Morrison and the artchitects were Blackett Bros.

Family History4U

You probably need to contact the City of Sydney Archives people, they will no doubt be interested to hear any history, or see any early photos of Newtown, and its buildings.

That Kevin Budden was bit of a nutter as regards snakes, wasn't he?
I've read his story before, and it leaves me cold, just the thought of going around lifting sheets of old tin, trying to find, and grab a Taipan!!

I don't like the part, about how the scientists have found that the Taipan venom still held its full toxicity, even after 60 years in dry storage!!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623741

Follow Up By: duck - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:48

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:48
Ron thanks for the info

I have a few photos etc of the church, hoping to find one of the Manse, coronation Hall still stands.

I don't think nutter is the wright word for Kevin Budden young, naive, dedicated & ill prepared would be a better way to put it & even thou he knew he had been bitten he kept calm & focused so that the snake would live & go to start the anti-venene program so others may live & maybe he could beat death himself & if not he's life would not be in vain. Others did the same looking for all sorts of snakes & reptiles, They lived to good age
I must say I don't think I would have stoped my truck & picked up Kevin walking down the rd holding a 7 plus foot Taipan like Jim Harris did.
My uncle (Roy) who was a very good friend of Kevin has done it all he's life & all over the world is probably walking around Townsville right now catching Snakes & poisonous ones so they are not killed as without them we would have even a bigger problem with our environment & he's 91 years of age

Just think if there was no one dedicated to go out & catch them how many other kids parents, workers would have died “Not a nutter just Young

FollowupID: 897008

Sponsored Links