Vdj76 2010

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 22:12
ThreadID: 137788 Views:2520 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys , just purchased rig from Perth , 2 weeks ago . Just noticed lsd . Doesn’t not even think of working . Are the diff locks the only way to go ? . Can someone show me a link on centre consoles as I would mind somewhere to put anything . I do know you can buy frames for new buckets for around $200. I will be doing catchcan , tint and unichip . Fuel pre fitted a few days ago . Big one at min is what to do with exhaust...... mufflers or hot dogs ? What is the real difference. Sick of sneaking up on people ... cheers Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 00:36

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 00:36
Brian, putting a widened rear axle in it will be the best thing you can do to that rig - otherwise you risk putting it on its roof on a greasy road.

I've come across 2 of them on their roofs, within 10kms of each other, and half an hour apart, on a greasy dirt road, right after a heavy shower of rain.
Both loaded up with roof racks, and a full complement of passengers.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 623746

Follow Up By: B1GDOG - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 09:21

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 09:21
Ron . Good to know . Will look into further . I’ve done 4K in km but not anything on roof racks . Thanks mate
FollowupID: 897010

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 05:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 05:00
Brain,
The cruiser Lsd's are lucky to last 5 years with just normal use, so a locker is the best way to go.

Eaton E lockers are very reliable,
AnswerID: 623748

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:20

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:20
Brian,

I installed a centre console and a roof console from the Department of the Interior http://www.consoles.com.au/Toyota_76Series_deeplow.htm
Easy install, no additional holes to drill and matches the existing trim. Can't comment on the LSD as I have Harrop Eaton ELockers front and rear. I appreciate where RonN is coming from with the rear wheel tracking but personally I wouldn't touch it. The legalities involved and the cost of doing it are prohibitive. In saying that I hadn't heard of any rollovers prior to reading RonN's post in this trail. I haven't found any problems with handling up to now but I don't have a roof rack either. I opted for a 3" exhaust with muffler. I stopped wanting to make cars noisier about 40 years ago. I also put tint on the glass, catch can, additional fuel filter. I haven't chipped mine as I find it powerful enough but I know others swear by it. I also put a safari snorkel on it to replace the "elevated air intake" and an EFS suspension which resulted in a 2" lift. I have fitted a new gearbox too - the one from the new series with a taller 2nd and 5th gear. Much better and only about $5k - $6k incl a clutch.
Good luck with it they are a beast but certainly no comparison for those who like a bit of luxury.
AnswerID: 623750

Follow Up By: B1GDOG - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 15:48

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 15:48
Kenell , well done on ya setup .i be looking into the console and roofy. I’m going to try bigger tyres before I burn 5 k on box . The uni chip is only one to be getting. Carny Hurt engine , well driveline is another thing . They say she spits the standard clutch on the dyno . Lol so it’s 3k for unichip an clutch . I’m a person that likes power in my pocket . Pull it out when needed . I’ve got most gear already b/bar ,winch, snorkel, all terrains , radio , roofrack, just big ticket items left . Thanks for all ya help . Cheers Brian
FollowupID: 897020

Reply By: Parafan - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:58

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:58
TJM do a replacement snorkel head that bolts straight on to existing snorkel with out any mods. Airtec brand I think. More air makes a big difference. Just got to stay back a bit when following in the dust.
Everyday is a holiday
Norm & Lisa

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623751

Follow Up By: B1GDOG - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 09:20

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 09:20
Thanks for that . Good to know ??
FollowupID: 897009

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019 at 06:42

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019 at 06:42
Just keep in mind it is not a snorkel but a high air intake......they are not sealed.

If you are chipping or tuning I would replace it with a snorkel, they breathe much better, I fitted the Armax
Exhausts, there are plenty to choose from including Redback, Taipan etc, apart from perceived build quality I think they are all the same.
I chose a remap over a piggyback chip and are happy with the results Some clutches won’t handle the extra grunt very well.
The axle width difference is probably more pronounced in the 76 than the longer 78 or 79.
I only notice it in soft sand on my 79 with the rear wheels trying to choose a rut to follow
FollowupID: 897052

Follow Up By: B1GDOG - Thursday, Feb 14, 2019 at 23:52

Thursday, Feb 14, 2019 at 23:52
Thanks for info , new all but the air intake not snorkel . Best I take the lid off an run her . See what happens when I place a board over opening . If she stalls , I’ll call it a snorkel lol if not I’m in trouble lol thanks again . Only difference with exhausts is metal or stainless , muffle or hotdogs or open pipe. Have mates with both . So will catch up for a hearing test . Cheer Brian
FollowupID: 897149

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:05

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:05
Brian

I have VDJ79, essentially the same apart from body.

Similar to Kennell (response above) I have Department of Interior consoles and you can view photos on my member profile. I have had a number of items made by them over they years and in different vehicles and I have no hestitation in recommending them.

I have 3” exhaust and Safari Snorkel.

And following on from Ron’s comment on the rear axle and tracking.

I installed the Tru-Tracker modification that is fully approved and has an engineering sign-off. I have found this a good modification, especially in sand. Avoid installing spacers to fix this issue, whilst many have it is not legal and potentially unsafe on this vehicle.

Good luck.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 623755

Follow Up By: B1GDOG - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 15:54

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 15:54
Baz . Well said , think my rig will become a 5 year project and exceed 20 grand . Should have got a Nissan ...at least it’s got a console ?? cheers thank again baz . The more I know, the more I want .........
FollowupID: 897021

Sponsored Links