Vdj70 lsd centres

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 22:24
ThreadID: 137797 Views:1601 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys Brian again . I have the vdj76 an my brother has the trusty 1991 80series turbo diesel with 220,000 original km on her . Says he fried his clutch’s about 5 yrs ago .low oil . He is second owner of some 20 yrs . Question is , I’m lead to believe the his rear diff is same as mine ? Centres same , clutch packs same . We are thinking to replace clutch packs in mine then his . He’s a fitter an I’m a know all . What you guys think as a quick fix till I get the Eaton’s . Thanks guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019 at 08:50

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019 at 08:50
Brian
Toyota do traditionally share a lot of parts across their model range, and it is quite possible that the clutch packs may be identical between the two vehicles. It is also possible that the gear sets (crown and pinion) are identical, and possible that the gear sets are different but within identical housings.

As for the expertise that is required to carry out the repair that you are contemplating your brother may succeed with the right equipment, and some knowledge of using bearing blue (or Prussian Blue) and reading the results. The setting up of the final drive (crown and pinion) is something that a lot of motor mechanics have not practiced since their tech course, if they got to do one then. Most workshop manuals do set out the proceedure for reading the markings that do appear on the crown wheel.

Happy tinkering.
Athol (retired motor mechanic)
AnswerID: 623791

Sponsored Links