Caravan sites near Canberra

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 15:29
ThreadID: 13784 Views:1821 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We're planning a trip up to Canberra (from Melbourne) mainly to see the sights of the capital. Finances exclude motels and weather precludes tenting (two young kids) so we're taking the caravan and hoping th stay at (god forbid!) caravan parks so we can plug the electric heater in. Does anyone have any suggestions for a location near Canberra. Also am I right in thinking that it would be tricky towing a caravan ( behind a Defender) over the mountains from Tumut at this time of year?

Comments please. We're taking a week so intend staying bush on the way there and back.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rowdy - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:16
Queanbeyan has a good caravan park about 400mtrs from its main street. Its about a 10 to 15 minute drive to the centre of Canberra from there.
There are about 3 parks in Canberra , 1 in O'Connor, 1 in Watson and 1 at Fyshwick. The 3 in Canberra are about 10 minutes to civic centre and all are about the same in amenities. I'd personally go for Qbn.
Rowdy
AnswerID: 63248

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:21

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:21
Tricky . . . given the right (or wrong conditions) downright dangerous.

Snow and Ice along that road.

I would check , with NPWS I guess , about towing a van thru there in winter.
AnswerID: 63251

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:34

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 16:34
Heya
There's also a pretty good caravan park off the Federal Highway a few k's outside of town - heading towards Canberra it's on the left. Some relo's have stayed there and said it was pretty good. I might be wrong but I think it's called White Ibis...... It's probably about 10-15 mins from the centre of town.

Cheers
AnswerID: 63253

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 17:54
I second checking the road conditions before going up some of the roads around there, some roads you cannot take a caravan, this time of year there is black ice so be careful. I recommend if you get time to go for a drive into the Brindabella's, Mt Coree is beautiful, as well as other places nearby, enjoy.

Baz.
AnswerID: 63281

Sponsored Links