Waeco Procool Cooler Warmer 14L

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 10:46
ThreadID: 137859 Views:3359 Replies:1 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help with what amp/hr draw this unit uses?
I was thinking about running it with a 40L Engel off a 70amp AGM with Redarc BCDC charger.
30hrs max without charge.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:13

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:13
Hi Michael, the specifications for your 14 litre Waeco cooler are here.
The Waeco will consume a continuous 3.8 Amps.
The Engel will typically consume an average of 2.0 Amps.
Total of 5.8 Amps. Over 30 hours they together will consume 174 Amp-hours.

You battery, rated at 70 Amp-Hours, will safely deliver only 35 Amp-hours, so will support these fridges for only 6.0 hours before requiring recharge.

Even running your 40 litre Engel alone will exhaust your 70Ah battery in 17 hours.

These Waeco cooler/warmers are "thermo-electric" devices and consume considerable electric power for a small cooling or heating performance. They are really only suitable for operation while the vehicle engine is running.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624067

Follow Up By: Michael M34 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 13:18

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 13:18
Thanks Allan,
I found the spec's and was dubious from the start using the wife's Grandkids lunch cooler :) I omitted the 120W Solar for base camp charging but I will still move on from the Waeco idea for a range of reasons.

Cheers and Thank you.

Mike
FollowupID: 897464

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 13:21

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 13:21
Aha, a "120W Solar"? The plot thickens. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897465

Follow Up By: Michael M34 - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 17:58

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 17:58
G'day Allan,

Yes, a Redarc 120W. It's marvellous how details slip my 71yo mind if I don't check the records - It's an 80Amp AGM that's performed brilliantly having been installed away from engine heat.
FJ Cruisers haven't the engine bay room of Troopy's.

I'm taking a crew across the Simpson again in August via the Rig (a crew member has a camper). We also have a Drone magician that will record the event.

Have you been across in 2018 or have any new advice?

Cheers

Mike

FollowupID: 897469

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 18:51

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 18:51
Yes Mike, heat is a battery killer. After a couple of failures I pulled the AGM out of my engine bay and now have two in the cab. Now the toolbag is in the engine bay. Only problem is that the tools are too hot to handle at first. Really shows how hot it gets in there!

We cross the Simpson most years but not in 2018. Went to Arnhem Land via Mt Isa.
We plan to cross again this year heading to the McDonnell Ranges. Hoping that the Warburton Crossing is open as I prefer the Rig Road. The Simpson doesn't change much each year except maybe more scalloping on the dune faces with increased traffic and more powerful vehicles.
The only advice I could offer is not new...... just keep the tyre pressures down.

By the way, I run a Waeco CDF-11 compressor fridge between the front seats as a freezer and drink-bottle cooler. Tried a Waeco thermoelectric as a drink cooler but although power consumption was not an issue, the damn thing barely cooled the drinks. let alone chilling them. The CDF-11 does a marvellous job. Chilled water at my elbow, frozen food below.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897470

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 20:49

Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 at 20:49
I came back across the Rig in late Sept, last year, Mike. We’d just done WAA Line from Birdsville to Mt Dare, and while my companions were going to Chamber’s Pillar, I decided to travel along the Madigan to Colson Track. Down the Colson to Lynnies Junction and onto the Rig.

After some of the rougher roads we’d been on the previous couple of days, the Rig was faultless. The dunes were generally smooth, with one exception, and the rest of the track was better than expected. I’d sugggest even the camper trailer companion with have few problems.

I then turned onto K1, Hay River up to Camp 16, then east on the Madigan & across to see a mate at Adria Downs.

This is about the 4th time I’ve done the Rig, and think it’s still the favourite.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897473

Follow Up By: Michael M34 - Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 06:08

Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 06:08
Thanks Lads,
The little Waeco thermoelectric is next to useless but it's intended use was to warm up dinner provided by Birdsville Bakery after the Simpson - Lamb Shanks and Vegetables sounded good. I had hoped to use as a drink cooler but it's performance is poor. Like I've said earlier, good for the grandkids lunches - an Esky. Warming works though.

I avoid Pitt St (aka French Line) too busy thus the Rig.
Madigan 2020. It's a little damp right now ;)

Cheers

Mike
FollowupID: 897480

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2019 at 19:51

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2019 at 19:51
May be a 12v oven would suit.
FollowupID: 897499

Sponsored Links