Dyno tuners Perth region

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2019 at 22:27
ThreadID: 137878 Views:3133 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm interested in getting my Mazda bt 50 2015 tuned for better economy, getting 11/12l /100klm suburban driving, space cab auto trayback with 80kg canopy.
Anybody with first hand experience from tuners that do handle 2011-2015 Ford Ranger MK1 or MAZDA BT 50 2015 with positive recommendation. I'm aware those vehicles are capable of 8\10 l 100km .
Not into chips or ECU remapping . Have put Redback 3" with cat converter and notice it puffs black smoke only on initial acceleration.
I'm familiar with United Injection but I think there more into pre common rail ECU.
Perth region thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 04:39

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 04:39
ECUWest are very familiar with the 3.2l engine, remaps and dyno. They started remapping them not long after they were first introduced here and have been doing so ever since.

Here is their website.

Website

AnswerID: 624119

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 08:01

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 08:01
If you are not into chips or remapping, then it cannot be tuned to anything other than what you have. All parameters of engine control is done by the ECU. Not sure what else you think is possible.
A 3" exhaust will not give more economy and has no bearing on any amount of exhaust smoke. They all puff smoke when initially accellerating, it is the sudden injection of fuel before the turbo has time to supply enough air to ensure a more complete burn. You may not notice, but if you follow one, as the drops of condensed oil in the intake airstream (from blowby gasses) suddenly goes through the engine it will puff smoke at fairly regular intevals while engine is running.
What is United injection? and Pre common rail? Is that "Unit" injectors, ie Cat and Isuzu HEUI, and conventional diesel engines?

I hope you don't have snorkel with a sock in the intake, that restricts airflow.
AnswerID: 624123

Follow Up By: Member - sparra - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 08:41

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 08:41
United fuel injection is name of a diesel fuel injection business in Perth, They are very good at what they do, I have used them before when I lived in W.A. For years.(shark bay). Cheers.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 897539

Follow Up By: thinkin - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 10:22

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 10:22
Sparra answered the United Injection question. No, don't have snorkel.
My idea was to check Dyno people as opposed to taking it to dealer who will tell me, " that's the way it is". I also have catch can.
What I can't understand is how can there be a great variation in fuel economy from two similar vehicles. I don't drive hard, I appreciate the 80kg canopy will increase wind resistance but not so much for suburban driving. Thanks.
FollowupID: 897540

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 11:43

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 11:43
thinkin
You said,
"I'm familiar with United Injection but I think there more into pre common rail ECU".
In Perth you might have a place called United injection but it read differently to me.
If you meant THEY ARE more into pre common rail stuff then the "there" means over there which I read as there is other types of injection. The're means something different. So I mentioned the various types of injection concepts, whereas, you are talking about their business. Funny how a word can change the meaning isn't it?
If using the BT50 around suburbs I would expect that to be relatively normal fuel usage, depending on the stop start frequency involved and accellerating with traffic. If you notice smoke from the exhaust you have to be pressing more than is actually needed to speed up. ANY smoke out a diesel exhaust is $$$$$ for no benefit. If accellerating slower and more progressive, you then aren't asking the ECU to deliver a larger than required squirt of fuel, the turbo will speed up and match the fuel input and you will hardly get any smoke, negligible amount and a $$$$$ saving too. Most people flop the throttle open and back off when they feel some action, worst way to do it!
Start slow and the system will bring up turbo revs and boost level THEN it has the ability to burn more efficiently without wastage/smoke and you can bury the pedal when ON boost and it should compensate with hardly any smoke at all. Everything which happens before boost is fully operational cost $$$$$. Unfortunately it is difficult to train drivers to conciously do this.
If you have bigger rims / larger OD tyres or wider tyres that too will add to fuel costs.
FollowupID: 897542

Follow Up By: Geoff K4 - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 15:15

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 15:15
As RMD replied, a remap can help more than trying other things. I put my D-max on the Dyno and was a bit shocked at the low KW of power & torque at the rear wheels. took it back to the Dyno after the remap and it was a completely different ute. heaps of power heaps more torque and great fuel economy. Done a lap since it was remapped towing a 2.3T van with nil issues and great fuel economy again. The only advice I followed was to fit a snorkel and an EGT gauge. it's never got anywhere near 500C.
So far worth the money on the remap.
FollowupID: 897837

Reply By: Hoyks - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 14:27

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 14:27
Around town, good luck. I found that adding a bull bar and A/T tyres were each worth around 0.4L/100km, roof rack is 0.2L/100km. Snorkel also adds drag, but not much.

Driving to work I do a bit of town driving and then 20km sitting at 80 and the best I can get is around 8.5, highway speeds (unloaded) around 9.1 and near enough to 10 with 500kg on the back.

Stop start and it goes up into the 9's as its a fair lump of metal to get rolling.

My only suggestions are to fit a new air/fuel filter, shed as much weight as you can, glue a 1" rusty nail to the accelerator pedal (pointy bit up) and drive bare foot.
AnswerID: 624132

Reply By: nickb - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 19:06

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 19:06
My 2014 ranger used to average 12.5-13 L/100km. I run AT tyres, 2” lift and a work canopy, total weight is 3180kg. I think your fuel use is ok. As RMD said chips/remapping is your only option for performance/economy tuning.

I have recently gotten a ECU remap at Infinitech in Wangara, 22% more power and 39% more torque. I asked for reliability first and foremost, they also turned off the EGR. First tank of fuel returned 12.3L/100km, will wait a few tanks before confirming the average use.

Torque comes on strong at low rpms, drives great now. I often use the power the car has, before when I put my foot down and it revved above 2500rpm it was quite noisey/rattly, like it didn’t want to be there. Now it revs cleanly, eargerly and smoothly up to 3500rpm and smoke is all but gone.

Highly recommend it, guys at infinitech were great.
AnswerID: 624133

Follow Up By: thinkin - Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 21:48

Friday, Mar 01, 2019 at 21:48
Thanks guys, and RMD, from the knowledgeable feed back I've got regarding driving styles, conditions and perceived improvement in economy I'm after, I'll probably buy a lot of diesel for the cost of Dyno Tuning for possibly little improvement in economy. I forgot to add roof rack and higher profile tyres on my machine which would account for higher fuel usage.
FollowupID: 897547

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, Mar 02, 2019 at 01:21

Saturday, Mar 02, 2019 at 01:21
They are not cheap, I only got mine done as repairing my stuck-closed egr valve was only $500 cheaper than a performance tune that included egr deletion. Changing the stuck egr would have made no noticeable difference to the car, effectively I got the tune done for $500!!! I definitely wouldn’t get one for the sole purpose of fuel economy gains. The drivability changes are well worth it in my books, especially if you’re heavily loaded or towing.
FollowupID: 897549

Follow Up By: nickb - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 23:16

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 23:16
Just a follow up. 2nd tank got 13.2L/100km including playing in the sand dunes for a couple days near Jurien Bay. 3rd tank around town in normal use is 12.1L/100km. So far looks like approx. 0.5L/100km saving with lots more usable power.

I’m happy with that!!
FollowupID: 897761

Sponsored Links