Painted Desert routes

Next month will be traveling through this area on way from Ayers Rock to Coober Pedy. Unfortunately don't have time to stay overnight but want to turn off hwy at Cadney Park and travel through to Mount Barry and then Coober Pedy
Appears to be two options, via Evelyn Downs or Arckaringa.
Any advice on most scenic route appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:21

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 19:21
Cadney Pk - Arkaringa through to the higher Oodnadatta Rd junction is faster usually.
A good gravel road.

While you will see the Painted Desert highlights driving through in daylight, I’m not sure I’d bother as sunrise and sunset is really the time to see it.

Another option is go straight down to Coober Pedy and drive the little triangle route north of town one early morning / evening for similar views over The Breakaways.
It’s about a 70km loop.
AnswerID: 624205

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:20

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:20
As Les said probably not worth the drive out of the way If your not stopping to see the golden hour . There's not that much to see away from the painted desert & roads are slow & rough .
Its the sort of place need to take some time , takes some walks either end of the day IMO
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624210

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:44

Monday, Mar 04, 2019 at 22:44
Hi Stevo

If you are in that area, 17km north of Coober Pedy is the turn off to the Breakaways, a must see if you are going past.

Great country out that way.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624213

Sponsored Links