Wiring a trailer plug for land cruiser 200 series 2018 model

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 06, 2019 at 21:15
ThreadID: 137905 Views:16236 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody know where to find the wiring connection plug when installing 7 pin harness to the above model.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 07:45

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 07:45
John, if you have the wiring to the towbar, and you just want to replace the plug, it is std colour coding. If you have no wiring, it is a trip to Toyota, as there is a towing ecu that talks to the body ecu that talks to the traction control ecu to let it know there is a trailer on the back. This lives in the drivers side rear quarter panel, so the plug your looking for lives in there......i find it comical that you can buy a landcruiser and it cant tow till you buy an accessory off the spare parts devision....better than having to option aircond luke the 70 series thou i guess 8>)
AnswerID: 624261

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Mar 08, 2019 at 23:53

Friday, Mar 08, 2019 at 23:53
All 70 series come with air cond - it is now free!!!
FollowupID: 897801

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 09:21

Thursday, Mar 07, 2019 at 09:21
Check out Lcool.org
Aussie Landcruiser forums.
AnswerID: 624262

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, Mar 08, 2019 at 23:56

Friday, Mar 08, 2019 at 23:56
You need to buy the factory wiring harness or the aftermarket equivalent, To fit you need to remove the rear trims on both sides
Factory trailer wiring harness
AnswerID: 624321

Follow Up By: Guy G - Saturday, Mar 09, 2019 at 13:05

Saturday, Mar 09, 2019 at 13:05
Yes factory harness $185.00 (comes with instructions) and as well as the LH & RH rear side panels you have to remove the 2nd row LH outer seat belt bottom anchor bolt, the LH rear scuff plate and loosen the RH side rear bumper mounts enough to get your hand in there. Also the trim strip across the rear that secures the cargo area carpet has to come out. Make certain the grommet supplied with the wiring is fitted properly where the wiring passes through the body behind the bumper otherwise dust will enter. I did mine and unless you have done this sort of work previously proceed very carefully as the instructions are written for a Toyota trained mechanic, not the home handyman. Plenty of help on YouTube regarding where the panel clips are and how to remove them which is mainly where the supplied instructions are silent and previewing them may save any breakages.
FollowupID: 897807

Follow Up By: Phil G - Sunday, Mar 10, 2019 at 21:48

Sunday, Mar 10, 2019 at 21:48
Trying to feed the wiring through Toyota's recommended grommet is a waste of time and effort - I used the floor grommet in front of the jack as it is easily accessible and you can seal it. Too many people complain of dust getting into their 200's and a lot of the time it is the quick dealer install job that leaves grommets floating in the breeze
FollowupID: 897823

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 08:59

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 08:59
"Too many people complain of dust getting into their 200's and a lot of the time it is the quick dealer install job that leaves grommets floating in the breeze"

Exactly.

I had that happen to my then new Prado. Two grommets on the factory harness were never inserted. First trip was a long one on red dirt roads. The car ended up full of dust, including inside all the rear trims and inside the roof lining. Dealer refused to acknowlege or fix the problem. For the 7 years of my ownership, whenever the centre seatbelt for the third row was pulled out of the roof it brought dust with it, which did nothing for the kids' clothes.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897827

Follow Up By: Guy G - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 17:05

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 17:05
Phil G: "Trying to feed the wiring through Toyota's recommended grommet is a waste of time and effort"
Phil, You don't have to feed the wiring through the grommet. The hole in the body that the wiring passes through is fitted with a rubber plug. You remove the plug and feed the wiring through the hole, fitting the grommet that is already fitted to the new wiring harness and is supplied with it.
FollowupID: 897840

Follow Up By: Guy G - Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 17:18

Monday, Mar 11, 2019 at 17:18
Frank P: "Too many people complain of dust getting into their 200's and a lot of the time it is the quick dealer install job that leaves grommets floating in the breeze"

That is true but dust in the 200 also enters through unplugged holes in the cargo area rear floor pan under the carpet which look like they go in to a sealed body section but they actually are open to atmosphere and consequently allow dust to enter. Also the 200 climate control system defaults to recirculate every time the engine is started (which can be reversed by the Dealer) and if that goes unnoticed and the fan is not on a high speed a negative pressure inside the car will result also allowing dust ingress. Apparently sealing the door drain holes with blu-tac as well as having the the air vent set to 'fresh' and having the fan on maximum speed creates enough positive pressure to help keep out the dust. Just have to remember to open at least one drain hole when washing the car or when it is raining (in which case dust wouldn't be a problem) Traction might be though:-)
FollowupID: 897841

Sponsored Links