Karalee Rocks via Yellowdine WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 18:59
ThreadID: 13792 Views:4545 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Just planning a trip along the Great Eastern Hwy to Kalgoorlie. Heard of a good overnight stop at Karalee Rocks just east of Yellowdine. Does anyone have any specifics as to the way to get there & suitability for camping with a van.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gonebush - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 23:21

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 23:21
Karalee Rock and Dam is 52 km east of Southern Cross on the northern side of the highway. There is a parking bay on the south side of the highway 2km west of the turnoff. The turnoff is hard to see and is unmarked. The old townsite is not far in off the highway and the rock/dam is further north a few km along good track.

No problems for a van and the GPS is 31 15.02 S and 119 50.21E

Plenty of info on the net.

Larry
AnswerID: 63353

Follow Up By: Cam - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 23:00

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 23:00
Hi Larry,
In regards to it place being an overnight stop is it OK to camp there or am I likely to be told to move on by a council ranger.

It seems unusual that when travelling up north of WA that there seems to be numerous 24hr camp stops set up by the MRD but none to the east & south of Perth.

Also I'm assuming that with the establishment of the Golden Pipeline Hertitage Trail that there should now be adequate signage to the place.

If you have any specific WEB addresses for Karalee Rocks can you let me know ???

Cam
FollowupID: 325774

Reply By: gonebush - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:27

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:27
Hi Cam,

No problems camping there overnight or longer.

There are actually plenty of places to the east of Perth set up for camping overnight and we have used quite a few. South there are also plenty of places that we have used but not generally set up by the MRD. I suggest you buy a book written by Jan Holland "A Guide to Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas in the South of Western Australia." Covers all the way east to the SA border, north as far as Kalbarri/Mt Magnet and north north east to Laverton. She has also written one for the North of WA to the NT border. Excellent books that we use all the time. Available from ARB, Ranger Camping, & ExplorOz here http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/DisplayItems.asp?CategoryID=10&ClassID=10&ItemID=488
We don't have the NT one (yet)

I don't know about signage sorry.......it may have been erected recently.

Type in Karalee Rocks to Google and you will get heaps of articles.

Larry
AnswerID: 64781

Sponsored Links