AP60 onto a Hilux 2.7, cut the vacuum hose? any tips?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:27
ThreadID: 13794 Views:2222 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As you can see I'm fitting the famous cruuuz control and don't want to cut anything until I'm 150% sure.

I need to get vacuum and don't have any extra nipples (shooosh in the back row!) and thus have to get vacuum from the brake vacuum hose. Is this correct?

The mannual says : for cars with a seperate vacuum pump it is recomended to make the vacuum connection between the one way valve and the booster unit. Does my car have a seperate vacuum pump?

I understand this to be: CUT the hose that runs from the booster on the firewall (black bell looking thing with brake fluid containers on top) and the only plastic thingy between it and the intake manifold. CORRECT? WRONG?

While you're here any tips for the caple joining or anything else?

Thanks Sam

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: steve - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:59
Sam,
Would not recomend cutting anything to do with your brakes. The instructions recomend this because it is the best source of vacuum, but the safety factor is too great. There are plenty of other vacuum lines that can be tapped into, the larger the port the better. I have fitted heaps of cruise control units and never used the brake vacuum.

Good luck.
Steve.
AnswerID: 63308

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 00:20

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 00:20
Steve, you obviously never fitted one to an older, diesel engine powered, 4WD. The brake vacuum is the ONLY available vacuum under the bonnet on those. Diesels have a dedicated vacuum pump since there is no vacuum at the inlet manifold.
Having said that, I fitted the 'T' piece into the vacuum line to the booster, connecting the AP vacuum line to the smaller oulet of the 'T'.
No brake problems at all with that setup and the AP50 in my troopie.

Now, with regard to the original question, I have no idea what kind of motor a 2.7 Hilux has, petrol or diesel?

Klaus
FollowupID: 324612

Follow Up By: steve - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:19

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:19
Klaus
In that case you have no choice of vacuum source, but the motor in question, being a petrol, does have other safer options.

Steve.
FollowupID: 324627

Reply By: Slammin - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 00:00
Thanks guys, your posts were exactly what was going thru my mind. LOL

I can do the booster but I'd rather not......

In the end I was able to find the fuel evaporative canistor for emission controls from the fuel tank and it had a surprisingly strong vacuum with an intermediate sized hose.

I got the job finished now and only wish that I could have removable hands in different sizes, I really needed the hands of an 8yr old to get to the brake light switch......

Test drive was fine will sit on 40kph or up to 120kph was as fast as I was willing to go in the dark.

Thanks for your help.
AnswerID: 63524

Sponsored Links