Off again.

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 09:51
ThreadID: 137947 Views:2946 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well getting nearer to having a bit of time off work again.
Going to get to Maralinga this time after running out of time last winter, thought 6 weeks would have been enough but we were unaware of the temptations of just staying a couple of extra nights in some of the out of the way places and just how welcome the locals make you feel and how relaxed the other travellers make you feel.

Looking at going via Alice this time, want to see the plenty highway before it is totally sealed and then stick to the bitumin from there to Maralinga turn off just to make sure we actually get there seeing it will be booked, and then wander home maybe starting on the AB and where ever after that. (Home is the suneshine coast)

Interested in hearing of some good spots to camp/look around along the way. Hate it when you get somewhere and realise you drove past some awesome spots.

Trying not to take the dog this time and will be towing an offroad camper and only have about 30 days travel time mostly in july.

Looking forward to hearing about some of your faverites.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:33

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:33
Hi there, your last comment "hate it when we get and realise we've missed places along the way" is EXACTLY one of the big advantages of having the ExplorOz Traveller app. When you view the map as you travel along any road or track you will see icons on the map for all the surrounding POIs- with symbols to illustrate what type of place eg. Free camps, lookouts, bores, gamma holes, survey markers, caves, gravesites, walktrails, historic ruins, etc. You can click any of these icons to quickly find out more - photos, description and reviews left by other travellers. If you want to go there at spur of moment you can click an option to Go to and the will route you there (or you just follow the map).
We did a trip through the Blue Mountains with our family of 4 not too long ago- you will love it. Our kids surprised themselves how much they enjoyed the long hikes. It can get very busy in Blackheath and Katoomba so instead we stayed at quaint Mt Victoria as our base. Good luck and enjoy your adventure.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624375

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 16:47

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 16:47
Thanks Michelle.
Been looking at the tutorials and seems worth while. Im a bit slow to take on new technology and still feel secure with maps and books but they are just too cumbersome now and just cant compete with such a program. Its the wifes ipad and she seems confident that she can work with it, she is the gadget person, i get enough of it at work so avoid screens on holidays.

Other travellers have showed me different things but its just mind boggling and i dont pay a lot of attention after the first dozen clicks.

Just one question of hardware compatibility,
How does the ipad know where it is, are they GPS enabled, or do you need a specific model?
FollowupID: 897850

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 16:54

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2019 at 16:54
Hi again, most phones and tablets these days feature inbuilt GPS receivers but with the iPads it depends on which model you have but if yours doesn't have the GPS that is no problem as you simply purchase an external bluetooth receiver (such as the BadElf, or Dual but there are other brands too), simply look these up to buy online, use keyword "buy gps receiver for ipad") - range in price from $99-$250. The way to know if your iPad has a GPS receiver built in, is to know whether you have the Wifi only model, or the Wifi with Cellular model as they only put the GPS chip into the cellular model for some bizarre reason. It confuses people because the GPS doesn't require network coverage but its just been a build decision or marketing decision on their behalf when bundling the hardware. Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897851

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:27

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:27
It seems that our ipad although is less than a year old it is not cellular.
Watching a utube tutorial after setting up the bad elf, a wifi hotspot was connected to an iphone.
Is an iphone also needed or can any phone be used?

Is anyone else using a similar ipad with this app?

FollowupID: 897864

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:29

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:29
qldcamper - there are two parts to answer this. Firstly, yes any phone can be used to hotspot your wifi only ipad. However, don't get confused - you DO NOT need any internet service to obtain a GPS position. Also, the app is fully capable of showing your current position and locking onto that position to display it on the moving map as you travel when you are offline.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897875

Reply By: qldcamper - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 08:30

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 08:30
Thanks for your help Michelle, and thanks to all the members for some fantastic places to visit, your responses have been overwhelming.
AnswerID: 624412

Sponsored Links