2.8 GQ TD Patrol RX

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 19:51
ThreadID: 13795 Views:3405 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My brother is in the process of buying a 2.8 TD Patrol and is having kittens about it.
He has been on this site before but only as a guest. He has found one which is a 1997 GQ 2.8 TD patrol for $18,990 and has 143 K on the clock. It already has a snorkel, bullbar and spotties on it. It is in ammaku, amakulate ( GREAT?) condition and looks the part. NOW he is not sure if the 2.8 litre 6 cyl td is a good motor.
He has heard good things about it but as a final nail in the coffin he would like to ask all the ekcell exellent ( GREAT?) people on this forum for their humble opinions on this style of vehicle.

By the way he looks like getting a $10500 trade in on his 1997 navara ute 3.2 diesel ( no AC)
Good deal or is he being shafted?

Regards SPARKIE(IE not Y);-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:27

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:27
SPARKIE
I have the same vehicle as your brother is contemplating(thinking about) buying.
1997 2.8 TD GQ Patrol RX. Mine also has the bits you mention as well as an intercooler, long range tanks and a raised suspension. I have had it for over 4 years and done over 100K and it has proved to be a very reliable vehicle. I have taken it to almost every part of WA incl CSR, Gibb River RD, Mitchell Plateua?? CApe Leveque, Mt Augustus, East Pilbara on many occassions as well as all over the southwest. While it may not drag a 30' van up a steep hill at 110km/hr in 5th gear it is a very capable vehicle and will go where most others can't.
If he can get it for $18990 I reckon he is getting a fantastic deal, I would want to part with mine for that little.
Let me know what he decides

Bigbear
AnswerID: 63312

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:28

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:28
Make that last line " I would NOT mant to part with for that little"
FollowupID: 324571

Reply By: Vinnie - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:54
Brother In-Law has same truck and tows a horse float with 2 horses and gear (2.8 tonnes) done it for about 150,000 clicks and no worries, little slow up hills but he's in no hurry so he says. Good buy at that price with the K's dunno about the trade, have a look in the Red Book for value. 1 thing, have a look around the hare-dryer and make sure no oil leaks or weeps visible.
AnswerID: 63334

Reply By: Red Patrol - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 22:08
Sparkie,

I have the same truck and bought it new in 97. Now done 123k and am very happy. Early on in the ownership we had a new turbo under warranty after it was 'phuffing' under acceleration. Three months after having new turbo it 'phuffed' again so they (Nissan) tightened the exhaust manifold and fixed it!!!! It had a new head under the extended warranty at 60k. I believe this was caused when it was serviced in Alice and the workshop forgot to put coolant in it at the 40k service, they also forgot to bolt the calipers to the car so I wondered why the front end clunked when braking!!!! Since this the car has been excellent. Make sure that the thing is serviced (Oil change) regularly and that the cooling system is A1. I believe the same basic block is used in the old VL Commodore and skyline but in petrol form, so they are good motors but watch the cooling. Also if he is going to keep the car forever you get the diff ratios for huge tyres and a Chev diesel. Good luck

Red
AnswerID: 63338

Follow Up By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:46
Sparkie I own a 1998 GU Patrol with the 2.8 TD and the only difference is the GU has the intercooler as standard. Mine was one of the last built before they changed to the new 3 l motor. (lucky me!) My truck has nearly 200,000 kls on the clock and it has never missed a beat. My mate had a much older GQ model with the same motor and he sold it with 375,000 klms and it was still going strong.
Never had to touch the injectors yet either. Just service it as per the book and you can't go wrong.
Cheers P Guy.
FollowupID: 324670

Reply By: Sparkie - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:16

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:16
Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate all the good comments as all you ussually hear about is the bad stuff and never the good things!

thanks and will keep you posted

SPARKIE(IE not Y);-)
AnswerID: 63481

Sponsored Links