From White Cliffs to Packsaddle

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:08
ThreadID: 137955 Views:4317 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Travelling in May in my Landcruiser 100 with a two other vehicles (city soft-roaders -- one Lexus RX350 and one BMW X3).

The mob want to go from White Cliffs to Packsaddle -- West via Whipstick Road > Henry Roberts Road > Wonnaminta Road > Silver City Highway, then North a few kilometres to Packsaddle to meet others.

Checked it out on Exploroz Traveller and by satellite -- this route looks like a doddle for the old 'Cruiser but wondering about the soft-roaders -- provided they take it slowly.

The 'Cruiser will carry all manner of recovery and communications gear but would prefer not to use it!

Comments requested please from anyone who knows the area?
2006 Toyota HDJ100 Landcruiser Sahara 4.2 T/D - AHC/TEMS, BFG A/T 275/65R17, ARB Deluxe Bar, Kaymar Single Wheel Carrier, ARB Intensity lights

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sharon A1 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 07:48

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 07:48
The road is badly corrugated and blown out. It has not been graded for at least 2 years due to lack of water. My husband took 4 hours to go 110 km in a truck yesterday. Would not recommend for soft readers.
AnswerID: 624410

Reply By: Member - TONIONPATROL - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 13:54

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 13:54
10 years ago I covered that road in a Subaru Outback with no difficulty at all. Drive to conditions. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 624415

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 16:13

Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 at 16:13
I did it from above Packsaddle to White Cliffs about 8 years ago.
The road was closed by rain from Packsaddle south , but the road to White Cliffs was still open.
Weeeeell, it was interesting in my Range Rover on BFGATs towing my camper trailer.
It rained hard. the road became a slippery dip with all dips filled with water. I had to line up the cattle grates and plant it to keep the camper in line, and by the time I got to White Cliffs I had almost 2 feet of mud on the front of the trailer and the wheel arches of the car filled with mud. There were also no hills until near White Cliffs where you could pull off the road and camp.
I met a cattle truck near White Cliffs at the first hill who was returning to Packsaddle station and I stopped and told him no way. He ignored me and last I heard there was a grader going from White Cliffs to pull him out of a side drain.

So if it looks like rain forget it for soft roaders.

But it also was beautiful. The grates near Packsaddle have bits of bitumen each side and every type of wildlife you could imagine were on the road for a drink. Foxes, roos, wedgies,dingos and the most were Apostle Birds who would not move. I had to stop on several occasions and move slowly through them.
A memorable experience which will probably not be repeated for me.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 624417

Sponsored Links