Techinical info on Jacyo Westport ltd 2001 Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 17, 2019 at 15:22
ThreadID: 137969 Views:4354 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a Jayco 2001 24ft LTD Caravan.
Can any body tell me the technical features etc of this type of van , its set up for off road camping etc , but im not sure to what degree.
Jayco have not been very helpful.
It seems to have all the bells and whistles for this date , but i have very scant info on what and how to use it.
David.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Mar 17, 2019 at 23:34

Sunday, Mar 17, 2019 at 23:34
Jayco vans of that age did not come with batteries. The lighting in the vans was 12 V as standard and the power was supplied from either the tug via pin 2 in the trailer plug or a 240 V PSU (power supply Unit) when connected to mains power. The PSU supplied in the van would have been either a Centurion or Setec ST-I (The Centurion is similar to the Setec but I can not supply a link to it.) Both of those PSUs have a connection for a battery which some owners add after taking delivery of the van. Those PSUs have the capability of supplying a trickle charge to the battery whilst you are on mains power. However, the battery charging is not very effective.

If your van has a battery in it then as I said above it would have been added after delivery. If a previous owner knew something about battery charging then He may have installed a proper battery charger in it. If the electrics now in the van were anything other than I described above then it is anyone's guess what previous owners did to the van.

Way back when your van was manufactured most campers used the tugs battery for van power when off mains power. Our power requirements were vary low then, we just used lights, some vans may have had a car radio in them and very few attempted to watch TV. If there is no battery in your van you need to add one. If you expect to recharge a battery with an overnight stop in a caravan you will also need to install a multi-stage battery charger in order to recharge the battery in that time. A 100 to 120 Ah deep cycle battery and a 20 - 25 A battery would suffice. If you wish to stay free camping for extended periods without visiting a caravan park then you will also need some solar panels and a solar controller.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624471

Reply By: Member - David G (VIC) - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 18:21

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 18:21
Thanks for info, it is as you have described.It also has a a switch, 12v to the battery , but doesnt seem to do much.
A bit more searching i think is now required, as it is sort of set up for free camping with hot water etc.
Thanks again for your info.
David.
AnswerID: 624485

Reply By: PeterInSa - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 18:47

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 18:47
I recall looking at a Jayco Heritage of similar vintage, looked great, what I remember is that the Tare was around 2300Kg and adding another 400 or 500Kg of payload was to heavy for my vehicle at the time, suggest you check this along with your vehicle towing capacity/towball load.
Peter
AnswerID: 624486

Sponsored Links