Cyclone Trevor - What's the chances of flooding the desert ??

Submitted: Friday, Mar 22, 2019 at 09:27
ThreadID: 138004 Views:3288 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Not sure whether anyone has been watching the forecast model and potential direction that this latest cyclone could take, but it the experts are right (a bit of a long shot I know), the desert could be in for a bit of a drenching in the coming weeks which may have a bit of a knock-on effect for those of us wishing to travel out that way in the coming 3-4months. Came across the on the BOM site that this cyclone is forecast to head over central NT and then swing east over what looks like the northern part of the Simpson Desert.... Will be interesting to see how all this pans out....

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQP0011.png?1553197931072
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Mar 23, 2019 at 14:14

Saturday, Mar 23, 2019 at 14:14
RobMac - I think the chances of "flooding the desert" are remote, but the modelling shows extensive and worthwhile rains covering all of Western and Southern QLD over the next week.

As with all "weather modelling", the circumstances can change rapidly and the expected results do not appear.

Farmonline Weather - Synoptic forecast

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 624581

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 18:57

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 18:57
Fair chance that many of us may have to rethink our current itineraries, Rob, after rain throughout Central & Western Qld, the past few days.

Falls of around 200mm along the Georgina south of Urandangie, are sure to run Eyre Ck down over the Madigan & QAA Line.Winton has had over 100mm, and there’s been falls of 200-300mm east & north of Diamantina Lakes, to boost flood levels in the Diamantina.

Around Longreach & Blackall, there’s been good, welcome rain up to & over 100mm, so both the Barcoo & Thomson Rivers will add to the mediocre flow from last month, in the Cooper.

There was also good falls around Jervious, on the Plenty H’way, that would run the Hay River down into the desert. Just how far would be anyone’s guess. Tobermory Station has been inundated this week, with water running through the houses & vehicles about 2M deep. They suggest that travellers don’t rely on them for fuel & camping “until further notice.”

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624667

Sponsored Links